Votes: 30 29.1%
  • Nothing or other

Votes: 47 45.6%

• Total voters
Basis soap bar pre-shave
Aveeno sensitive skin shaving cream
Gillette Fusion blade
Curel moistening cream after shaving

I try to shave (before my morning run) with the electric, but at that hour of the morning, I often forget. When I forget on a weekday, I usually figure it out when I'm in the shower and just shave in the shower, using a blade and shaving cream, or sometimes hair conditioner if I'm at the gym or have run out.

That said, I "must" have an alcohol based aftershave or my face feels horrible. I've tried the balms, but they only give me pimples if I use it after shaving. Fr a long time, I used the expensive aftershaves that I would buy at the duty free shops in airports. I have a little of that left, but only use it occasionally. I found some $4.50 Gillette aftershave at Wally world and use that most of the time. I also have a 32 oz bottle of Sea Breeze we bought for the kids about 5 years ago, so I use that after the electric razor. When I don't have any cheap aftershave, I use rubbing alcohol...also from Wally world for about 98 cents a bottle. I don't drink, but I gotta have the alcohol on my face after shaving.

R

Current what-ever blade razor, Gillette Foamy, and then cold water (or less warm around here in the Summer; pipes are shallow due to lack of freezing in Winter so 110 degrees heats up the ground and the tap water.) Never could do a decent job in the shower with shaving...I have a mustache so not seeing what I am doing is not conducive to keeping it level. Also, DW tends to use my razor if I leave it in plain sight to shave her [-]barbed wire[/-] leg hair which will dull a blade very quickly.

Have not used after shave since I was in High School.

A guy I used to work with was notorious for going heavy on the aftershave. He reeked of cologne. It was quite nauseating.

A guy I used to work with was notorious for going heavy on the aftershave. He reeked of cologne. It was quite nauseating.
I understand and feel the same way about women who "overuse" perfume or other "sense enhancements".

I'm one of probably only a small part of the male population that gets ill from perfume use - usually by older women (and in close places, such as resturants/church/etc.)

As a young child of the 50's, I would feel ill over the combo of aftershave, perfume, cigars, and cigarettes in a public, enclosed place. Smelling any perfume these days (since indoor smoking is not allowed in most public places) still remind me of those days, decades ago and tend to make a most digusting experience for me...

Last edited:
shave in the shower...stick my face under the shower head to get excess soap off. That's it.
+1. But, I started using the Wallyworld liquid face soap ("compare to Cetaphil") when the regular bar soap started irritating my skin (eyelids, etc). Gillette Sensor razor.

Those who've spent any time in the 'Magic Kingdom' can relate to this:

Younger Saudi men, of the 'yuppie' type, tend to douse themselves with aftershave, (stores sell LARGE bottles of the stuff), to the point that, were you to find yourself in the middle of a crowd of them you'd likely expire through lack of oxygen.

So........my late wife and I, (late 1980s), were sitting in a back-loading airport shuttle, heading from the Sofitel to Charles de Gaulle in Paris, when a familiar odor wafted up from the entrance......followed by three swarthy guys in business suits.

A lady at the front of the bus turned around and asked them if they were with the hotel......to which I piped out "No, they're Saudis".

It was standing room only on the bus by that time, and the three were right next to me..."How you know we're Saudi?" they asked......"I just know", I replied.

All the way to the terminal they jabbered amongst themselves in Arabic...."Yadda, yadda yadda - Saudi - yadda yadda Saudi".....with glances at us every time.

I never did tell them that I could smell them a block away.

Interesting. This confirms that alcohol based after shaves have lost their dominance, as I expected, never made sense to me to shock my face with something so drying. I've been using non-alcohol balms for many years, started expensive and now just grocery store Nivea or whatever is cheap. Sometimes shave just before a shower and use nothing. I may have reached the point that I'll just go with cold water.

I have one bottle of expensive alcohol based after shave/cologne, used to have several. At the rate I use it, I will probably have to put it in my will. Thanks folks...

I'm one of probably only a small part of the male population that gets ill from perfume use

There's probably quite a few of us.
One of the things I love about DW is that she's willing to indulge me in this little foible.

I've had a beard for 36 years and shave my neck about once a week. I've owned 3 bottles of after shave/cologne for more years than I can remember. I rarely use one so they should last for the rest of my life. Oh yeah, the bottles don't say if they contain alcohol.

shave in the shower...stick my face under the shower head to get excess soap off. That's it.

Me three. My j*b has a casual work environment, and I'm not a particularly hairy guy, so I generally only shave 2-3 times per week.

Why?? Spoilsport
:LOL:
:D........nope, not gonna do it......

Shifting the conversation just a tad...I do have to admit I love a hint of after shave on a man. It makes my toes curl.

Last edited:
Never did like after shave. Smelled nice but the alchohol irrated my skin. I just use my electric Norelco shaver and get a nice, clean shave every morning.

Those who've spent any time in the 'Magic Kingdom' can relate to this:

Younger Saudi men, of the 'yuppie' type, tend to douse themselves with aftershave, (stores sell LARGE bottles of the stuff), to the point that, were you to find yourself in the middle of a crowd of them you'd likely expire through lack of oxygen.

So........my late wife and I, (late 1980s), were sitting in a back-loading airport shuttle, heading from the Sofitel to Charles de Gaulle in Paris, when a familiar odor wafted up from the entrance......followed by three swarthy guys in business suits.

A lady at the front of the bus turned around and asked them if they were with the hotel......to which I piped out "No, they're Saudis".

It was standing room only on the bus by that time, and the three were right next to me..."How you know we're Saudi?" they asked......"I just know", I replied.

All the way to the terminal they jabbered amongst themselves in Arabic...."Yadda, yadda yadda - Saudi - yadda yadda Saudi".....with glances at us every time.

I never did tell them that I could smell them a block away.

I'll bet it was cologne. Regular aftershave (such as Old Spice) really shouldn't smell much at all after the first minute or two.

I'll bet it was cologne. Regular aftershave (such as Old Spice) really shouldn't smell much at all after the first minute or two.

In my opinion, Old Spice is the WORST!!! Its stink is so overpowering, and not just for the first minute or two, either. On second thought I wonder - - maybe I am allergic/sensitive to it. I can tell someone wears Old Spice before he even enters the room, and it impairs my breathing. :(

Bay Rum aftershave.

Few years ago I had been reminiscing about going to the barber as a kid and the joy of the shave around the ears, bay rum, and whisk with the long bristled whisk. My gal bought an old, partially used bottle of Bay Rum on Ebay for me for Christmas. Understand the sense of smell is the strongest evocative of memory. "Superior Bay Rum, put up by G.C. Taylor Company, Prop. of Taylor's Oil of Life, Fairport N.Y."

Attachments

• DSCN1700.jpg
    DSCN1700.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 0
In my opinion, Old Spice is the WORST!!! Its stink is so overpowering, and not just for the first minute or two, either. On second thought I wonder - - maybe I am allergic/sensitive to it. I can tell someone wears Old Spice before he even enters the room, and it impairs my breathing. :(

Maybe it's a specific allergy. My young wife has a very sensitive nose and an overwhelming distaste for perfume/cologne. So sensitive that we need to sneak into the department store in the side entrances away from the cosmetic stations at the front entrance. Yet she has never had a problem with Old Spice (which I used for about the first ten years of our marriage) or Bay Rum (which I have used for the last 17 years).

Use Clubman's Aftershave Lotion on the weekends: reminds me of the barbershop. Otherwise, it is rinse with warm water and go the rest of the week.

At a family Christmas gathering a few years ago, a member of DH's family gifted him a little bottle of Bay Rum after shave. Have to admit, it smells pretty awesome. At least to this kitty, purrs;)

Few years ago I had been reminiscing about going to the barber as a kid and the joy of the shave around the ears, bay rum, and whisk with the long bristled whisk. My gal bought an old, partially used bottle of Bay Rum on Ebay for me for Christmas. Understand the sense of smell is the strongest evocative of memory. "Superior Bay Rum, put up by G.C. Taylor Company, Prop. of Taylor's Oil of Life, Fairport N.Y."

I love getting the back of my neck shaved with the straight razor when I go to the barbershop.

The Bay Rum that I get is found here -- Bay Rum Aftershave

I have a few bottles that I received as gifts. I tried it once or twice. The bottles just sit there.

FreeAtLast said:
I have a few bottles that I received as gifts. I tried it once or twice. The bottles just sit there.

Ditto. I looked up the ingredients, and dropped the bottles off at a local hazardous waste collection along with some other nasty items. Eccch! Oh, and DS had left some Axe products here. Those went, too. That stuff will curl toes, and not in a good way.

Back
Top Bottom