Poll about do you like to dance? men vs ladies

Do you like any form of dancing or do you avoid all dancing?

• I'm female and like some types of dancing

Votes: 23 15.8%
  • I'm female and avoid all types of dancing

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I'm male and like some types of dancing

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I'm male and avoid all types of dancing

Votes: 80 54.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ready-4-ER-at-14

Full time employment: Posting here.
I read a thread on this site that was about 3 years old ie 2020 era while covid was still major news. link is here: https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/what-percentage-of-men-do-not-enjoy-dancing-106129.html

My dad used to say every 5 years people are really different people, and the people in the thread sort of wanted a poll. I'll make it simple.

Your sex and do you like any form of dancing.

To me like dancing means you do not actively avoid it. I've met people with a broken leg that would sit and watch and listen to the music who had a good time.

If you don't mind also relating in the body of the thread
if you ask others to dance?
do others ask you to dance?
are you usually with a group of friends that dance?
do you take lessons?

The reason for asking these things is dancing, lifting weights, golfing, bicycling, skydiving etc can all be social activities, and usually we are most comfortable and have the most fun with friends around.

I joined a new dance place over a year ago and even with knowing and dancing with a number of people who happened to know me, they were peripheral to the core group and it is just now that I part of that group too.

it's a little hard to separate the skill level and the social level of activities, since they tend to increase over time.

The old thread was women like to dance more than men partly because men got sports in pe and maybe women used to get more directed into cheerleading stuff with dance routines.

I don't dance. Danced with DW at a few wedding receptions, most recent 15 years ago. Other than that a couple of high school proms. Total dance floor time lifetime probably less than an hour.

I'm male but never got into team type sports in school. I did track but ran the mile, barely lol. I finished, I think I can, i thought i could, I did. No four-minute mile for me.

I grew in a rural area and we had square dance lessons in grade school.
I did the rural guy things, hunting, fishing, archery, trail type motorcycle.

I sort of got introduced to dancing through martial arts in my later 30's. Took a smattering of karate, kung fu, and Shotokan (way of the warrior). Hard to believe but these have what is called a kata, or kind of a dance performance. Turn to the left block, Turn to the right kick high followed by maybe a leg sweep. Anyhow depending on the level and intensity it is a tightly choreographed repeatable presentation that has a lot of parts.

Kind of like cheerleading, kind of like line dancing, kind of like American tango.

I grew up with the idea that dancing was kind of a part of the staging to forming a relationship where you were ok to touch and not much else yet. Mine all mine after a further point.

Wow, that took some adjustment in attitude as in the dance community here with long term friends, a hug or a non intimate super fun dance is sort of as erotic as a hand shake. Not that romances or relationship problems can't occur but every group sort of polices themselves. Where we go primarily no sold on premises booze and lots of women instructors and staff who just ban guys who push the limits. After a bunch of group dance lessons pretty much every leader has danced with every follower. In fact us guys joke we don't know the names of any of the other guys as we spend so little time with them. At one place it is primarily paired couples, not necessarily married with a few singles. Other place it is mostly singles with a handful of couples.

I check to see that my partner is getting in enough dances and even have hand signals to say my turn or pass me by from across the dance floor. Certain dances spouse has dibs the first time (waltz and 2 step) Balance of leads, follows is about even, and a few dance hosts mostly female who lead and follow.

Finding a place where you fit in is important, and making the first few friends determines the enjoyment in my opinion.

M, and I have nothing to do with dancing.

I'm female, and I do like to dance, although I don't dance much anymore. But this thread has me thinking about maybe changing that - in particular in that I have been trying to increase my activity, strength and flexibility.

The only males I asked to dance were DF and after marriage DH. Although I am not certain it qualifies as an ask with DH.

Him to Me: Would you like to Dance?
Me to Him: I want to Dance.

Back in the day, I did frequently ask my girlfriends to dance, i.e. we would pull each other onto the floor laughing, and I will still do so at weddings.

Male, and I met my DW at a square dance. Though we do not go to dances frequently, we do not hesitate to dance when the opportunity arises.

I think there's a big difference between lead/follow partner dancing (ballroom, swing, country, salsa, etc.) versus just getting out there and shaking body parts rhythmically (or not so rhythmically lol) to whatever a house dj plays.

Some love the former and are completely uncomfortable/awkward doing the latter - and vice versa. The lucky few are equally comfortable/good at either.

I voted to avoid dancing. That wasn't the case in high school though. A lot of small-town area barn dances. Kids from wide range would come to dances and I loved it then, but I don't anymore.
If at a wedding etc. I will dance the Two-Step with wife but just one or two than I'm done.

Male, and I met my DW at a square dance. Though we do not go to dances frequently, we do not hesitate to dance when the opportunity arises.

Same here when the opportunity arises.

I was part of a travelling Native American dance team when I was a young lad 11-18 yo. I attended and participated in square dances about the same time. I was my high school's social chairman and was responsible for organizing dates, times, DJs, and/or bands and money/tickets. In college, I was the social chair of my professional group's formal. I have taken dance lessons with DW although an observer couldn't tell. ;) I stilldance when social events warrant it, I have fun!

Male, and I met my DW at a square dance.

I grew up Square dancing, and have played for many over the years.

But when it comes to dancing, I only know one.... The Tequilia Freestyle....
If you see me dancing... Take my keys....

DH and I met on the dance floor 53 years ago and we have been dancing ever since. We love it. Great exercise and a great way to meet other people. We do all kinds of dancing--ballroom, salsa, swing, Caroling shag, two step, clogging/flatfooting. We take lessons every year. It is a major part of our lives and is one of the main reasons DH is getting his second knee replacement next week (had other knee done a few years ago)--he says he want to keep dancing!

My deceased DW loved to dance and was big on the Texas two step (hey, this IS Texas, you know). She would dress up in tight jeans, a western shirt, her boots, and western hat and we would go out. This was years ago! I would dance the two step with her until my feet got tangled up. She loved it, I went along with it. She had the rhythm, I had the tangled feet.

Before she met me, she was going out dancing a lot, I understand. She was from St. Louis, and came to life when she got to Texas in the late 70's. I just showed up in the early 90's and married her. :D

Female, like to dance but don't do it very much.
Hubby and I took dance lessons years ago, but never formally went out to clubs to dance. Only weddings, etc. and occasionally I can get him to dance at home.

I try to avoid dancing but will yield once in a while. DW and I once signed up for ballroom dance lessons, but she couldn’t force herself to give up the lead. It was awkward.

Because I love all kinds of music, and have studied all kinds of dance, I LOVE dancing. Hubby has an eclectic playlist on Spotify that we listen to while tooling around the house. All eras. All genres. He would be in the last category. I have to coax him into dancing with me most times. It's great cardio and good for the brain.

BTW...First post from an extremely longtime lurker here. I have been following the wisdom, wit, advice, knowledge and perspectives of everyone here for years. And have benefitted greatly because of it. What a nice group of people to share with. We've been living our retirement dream since August of 2022, and couldn't be happier.

"When you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance".

Lee Ann Womack"

Male, and I LOVE to dance! I was terribly shy with woman in high school. In college I got the courage to start dancing, and it was a huge breakthrough for me. From that time on I love dancing to anything. I can still move and groove :D. Many times at dances DW and I will go on the floor and rarely take a break. I enjoy it from the music, rhythm, and workout standpoints.

We go ballroom dancing somewhat regularly, and I enjoy DW dressing up "cute" for me :dance:. We always go early enough to take the lesson, as a refresher, as I can be challenged to consistently follow a pattern (but I still keep on rhythm). The woman always outnumber the men, and invariably I get asked to dance by other woman, some surprisingly much younger than me.

Dancing aids my ego, as I receive many compliments from women, to the point where DW has jokingly said she wants to "ban" me from going to some dance venues. :) One of the nice compliments I have received is along the lines of "you can dance, and for slow dances you dance like a gentlemen". We have had more than a few younger people tell us how much they enjoy seeing us dancing, "you two have such a young spirit!" Sometimes they ask me to show them a dance move they observed me doing.

I am still fit enough to dance, and will continue to enjoy it as long as possible :).

So glad to hear that jolly. The last cruise we went on there was a beautiful older couple hand-dancing to the Motown tribute band. They were incredibly smooth. Intuitively moving together. I made a point of complementing them when I saw them at dinner a few days later. The wife was just beaming.

I don't dance. Danced with DW at a few wedding receptions, most recent 15 years ago. Other than that a couple of high school proms. Total dance floor time lifetime probably less than an hour.

That's me...minus the wedding receptions.

I like to dance, DW LOVES to dance! She is really good at it, me I have no rhythm but still enjoy it when the opportunity arises!

I think it is a very healthy and fun activity!!

We both love dancing especially C&W. Harder to find good places to dance these days in our area but we keep looking.

I think we'd probably get similar responses for musicals.

My DW never danced so when we started dating, my dancing days were over. I gave up dancing, smoking and dating "others" once when we met.

I never missed dancing or dating others. Maybe someday I'll quit missing smoking. :) After-all, it's only been 48 years.

if you ask others to dance?
do others ask you to dance?
are you usually with a group of friends that dance?
do you take lessons?
I am a female.

I don't recall asking anyone to dance, but I'm sure I have a time or two as I am not shy.

Yes, I have been asked to dance.

The majority of times, I have been with friends and partners.

I've never taken a lesson.

The first time I remember dancing was when I was five years old. Ever since then I love to dance to any type of music. After all these years, I still move to the beat. The best memories I have are of dancing; it's my passion. :)

Back
Top Bottom