Air conditioning and bad smells

Maybe I missed it, but could you identify the manufacturer? I googled and found several AC coil class actions, but none for this coating issue.
Thanks

Maybe I missed it, but could you identify the manufacturer? I googled and found several AC coil class actions, but none for this coating issue.
Thanks

Sure.
Brands listed in the class action suit are: Lennox (the one I have), Aire-Flo, Armstrong Air, AirEase, Concord, Ducane.

If you Google "Thomas v. Lennox Industries Inc. you will find 14 pages of information re: the class action suit.

Or, you can go to www.evaporatorcoillawsuit.com

It turns out my coil was still under warranty, so I don't think I have a need to be involved in the class action law suit. Under the warranty, all parts and labor were at no cost to me.

... They need to leave the vacuum pump on long enough to remove everything that's in your system, and ideally they'll flush the system a few times with nitrogen before the final pump-down.

... they'll have every incentive to do a slapdash job in as little time as possible, as long as your equipment survives for the warranty period of the labor. Hopefully someone with real experience will be along shortly. . .

...You should assure this work is going to be really free.

The entire job took 1 hour, 45 minutes. I asked if they were going to flush the system a few times and they said they were. (Thanks). Of course, I don't know if they really did. One guy did get up on the roof and do something. The unit with the coils is on the ground floor.

It was all free. But, I am upset with them for not notifying me that the coils were defective. I got these guys through Costco and wouldn't use them (the HVAC company) again if I didn't have to. Costco was absolutely no help in any of this.

The HVAC guys didn't have any paperwork to leave with me. So, I'll be calling the company for whatever paperwork is necessary for the next trial-by-HVAC that comes up.

Let me get this straight. Your HVAC contractor has taken 7 weeks to get this minor problem settled? And what's all this about taking weeks to get an A coil evaporator?

Unfortunately, you got it straight. I should have been more insistent they come out sooner. Initially, they said it would take 2-3 weeks for them to come out. I let it slide and called a few weeks later--when I saw the temperature was going to get hotter (103 degrees). They came out the next week (today), but we got to experience the 103 degrees without air conditioning.

...It might be a good idea to establish a baseline for how well the unit works now and test it again after the do their work. One unscientific way: Maybe set the thermostat to get the house to about 75 degrees and leave it there for a few hours until it is stable. Then set the thermostat to 65 degrees and time how long the unit takes to cycle off. Note the outside temperature and (ideally) do this test after the sun has set (so that solar gain isn't a factor). After the replacement is done, repeat the test when the outside temperature is about the same (a few degrees difference in outside temperature won't matter much). If it takes longer to cool the house the same 10 degrees after they have done their work, that would be a red flag. Obviously, it would be ideal to do a few trials "before" and "after" to have more confidence in your results. But--it might be too late for much of this if they are coming tomorrow. I'd try to get at least one test in, for reference.

I wish I had had the time to do this, but, I didn't. It actually sounds like fun (I know that's not the point). There's always the possibility I'll get a second chance at it.

Sure.
Brands listed in the class action suit are: Lennox (the one I have), Aire-Flo, Armstrong Air, AirEase, Concord, Ducane.

If you Google "Thomas v. Lennox Industries Inc. you will find 14 pages of information re: the class action suit.

Or, you can go to www.evaporatorcoillawsuit.com

It turns out my coil was still under warranty, so I don't think I have a need to be involved in the class action law suit. Under the warranty, all parts and labor were at no cost to me.

Thanks! I did find this class action but since it referred to tube leakage I thought it must be something different. Anyway I am not a class member but anyone that is included should check it out since you could have an issue even without symptoms (eg minor refrigerant leak).

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Update (again);

The air conditioner is working sans awful smell.

Also, I have some confidence in these guys as they showed up in a white panel van.

Also, I have some confidence in these guys as they showed up in a white panel van.

Those things are a hot commodity these days. No doubt they are pros.

Back
Top Bottom