Alternative to Garmin for Portable GPS?

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I wasted my entire day today trying to update the maps on my Garmin GPS. Paid for the $100 lifetime updates a few years back. Last year update went pretty smoothly, this year, going around in circles. The Garmin maps updates is a exercise in trial and error frustration, watching the hours go by.

When I think about portable GPS, I think Garmin. But with the aggravating update software, I'm wondering now if any non Garmin brand GPSes off a decent map update experience.

I have no interest in using a phone app or in-dash GPS.

I have free lifetime updates from Garmin, updated my maps about 3 weeks ago, took 35 min. Don't understand why yours took so long.

Usually, the maps get written on a SD memory card. Is yours damaged and in need of reformatting? Maybe that's why it is stalled.

I have one with and one without lifetime maps...

I still use the old one even though it is over 7 years old... most of the major routes have not changed...

If I had paid for the updates I would be calling Garmin to get this problem fixed.

Usually, the maps get written on a SD memory card. Is yours damaged and in need of reformatting? Maybe that's why it is stalled.

I've tried reformatting. Now using a different SD card but showing will take hours. Took about 30 mins last year, if I remember correctly. I've been getting, after a couple hours that updates are successful message. But when I turn on the GPS then get a message saying something like no detailed maps, need that for routes.

I wasted my entire day today trying to update the maps on my Garmin GPS. Paid for the $100 lifetime updates a few years back. Last year update went pretty smoothly, this year, going around in circles. The Garmin maps updates is a exercise in trial and error frustration, watching the hours go by.

When I think about portable GPS, I think Garmin. But with the aggravating update software, I'm wondering now if any non Garmin brand GPSes off a decent map update experience.

We've pretty much have replaced it with the iPhone. Don't care about map updates anymore.

The Apple Watch assists.

Why is that? I use 'Here-we-go', free and can be set to not use data away from wi-fi. It is far better than the handheld GPS's I had.

The in-dash GPS on my new car is really bad in comparison, it's not even funny. In 10 years, it will seem like an Edison cylinder phonograph compared to a modern digital player and the likely advance of the phone GPS apps. It came with the bundles with stuff I wanted, wish I could get my money back for it.

-ERD50

Why is that? I use 'Here-we-go', free and can be set to not use data away from wi-fi. It is far better than the handheld GPS's I had.

The in-dash GPS on my new car is really bad in comparison, it's not even funny. In 10 years, it will seem like an Edison cylinder phonograph compared to a modern digital player and the likely advance of the phone GPS apps. It came with the bundles with stuff I wanted, wish I could get my money back for it.

-ERD50

+1 to both here maps and Google Maps. Can't imagine why you are so against using an app? That is all a Garmin is - a piece of hardware with a single app that you are finding hard to update. Get a cheap android phone and do what ERD50 said and there you have it.

+1 to both here maps and Google Maps. Can't imagine why you are so against using an app? That is all a Garmin is - a piece of hardware with a single app that you are finding hard to update. Get a cheap android phone and do what ERD50 said and there you have it.

Never heard of here maps... and DW uses Google all the time...

BUT, they are not good in all situations... my DWs plan had zero coverage in Wyoming.... the whole state.... and limited in other places up there... our GPS never had a problem (well except in Canada since we did not pay for a map of Canada)....

Never heard of here maps... and DW uses Google all the time...

BUT, they are not good in all situations... my DWs plan had zero coverage in Wyoming.... the whole state.... and limited in other places up there... our GPS never had a problem (well except in Canada since we did not pay for a map of Canada)....

Google maps does not need a data connection as it uses GPS. Last year we drove all over Belgium using Google Maps and no phone connection. Google maps allows you downloads which are kept for a default 30 days. All we had to do was download the maps we needed while in wifi. When hiking I put the phone in airplane mode to conserve battery life.(and use a more detailed app for hiking)

I update my Garmin two or three times a year, using the Garmin Express app on my laptop. It never takes more than about 20 minutes and never a problem. Just did it last week.

I remember when it used to be a pain, but in the last few years it has been quick and easy.

Google maps does not need a data connection as it uses GPS. Last year we drove all over Belgium using Google Maps and no phone connection. Google maps allows you downloads which are kept for a default 30 days. All we had to do was download the maps we needed while in wifi. When hiking I put the phone in airplane mode to conserve battery life.(and use a more detailed app for hiking)

Can you put in gps coordinates into Google maps? I ask cause like you we do some hiking and the only way to find some trails is by gps coordinates

Can you put in gps coordinates into Google maps? I ask cause like you we do some hiking and the only way to find some trails is by gps coordinates

Yes, but make sure you enter them as decimal degrees. latitude, then a comma, then longitude, and make sure you enter west longitude and south latitude as negative.

For instance, Willis Tower in Chicago would be entered 41.878900,-87.63580.

I update my Garmin two or three times a year, using the Garmin Express app on my laptop. It never takes more than about 20 minutes and never a problem. Just did it last week.

I remember when it used to be a pain, but in the last few years it has been quick and easy.

I wait until getting a notify on my GPS about time to update.

Well, the update I ran last night worked. So, I have the maps for 2018 :dance:. Took around 5 hours total.

Still, don't know exactly what I did differently than the previous 6 or 7 times I tried earlier. Perhaps the software didn't like that SD card I was using.

When you do your updates, do you run using the existing maps on SD card? Or do you have to format the card first? I have to do the latter or else get an not comaptible card message (maybe cause I only have a 4GB card).

I'm good til next year, then will cross my fingers again :(.

But with my original posts. Still interested in any updating experiences with non-garmin portable GPS owners.

The map app on my iPhone is so easy to use, I rarely use the navigation in my car because it is not easy.

When you do your updates, do you run using the existing maps on SD card? Or do you have to format the card first? I have to do the latter or else get an not comaptible card message (maybe cause I only have a 4GB card).

I have a Nuvi 2597 LMT with an 8 GB card. Never had to reformat the card -- it just updates over the old maps. It's nearly four years old.

It might vary by model, I guess, but since an 8 GB card would only cost a few bucks, why not just get a new one?

I have a Nuvi 2597 LMT with an 8 GB card. Never had to reformat the card -- it just updates over the old maps. It's nearly four years old.

It might vary by model, I guess, but since an 8 GB card would only cost a few bucks, why not just get a new one?

Not sure it the size is the reason, but might have to get an 8 GB card for next time.

A few years back, a 4GB was considered a splurge for this GPS, but 8GB is a dime a dozen today.

Another vote for Google Maps or Waze on the phone. The biggest reason for us is traffic. Even when we had traffic data service on one of our cars, the data was not good. With the phone apps, it is constantly up to date.

Thanks... maybe my DW did not download the maps :facepalm:

For us, the era of special-purpose GPS devices ended five or more years ago. Since then we've been using our phones and tablets, specifically Nexus 7 2013 model tablets. Those can currently be bought used for under $100.

The problem with most of the mapping programs, including Google Maps, is that they rely on cellular data to actually get the maps. Some, like Google, offer caching of nearby map data but that may not be enough. And you pay for cellular data, of course.

We use an app called Copilot. (https://copilotgps.com/) Its attractive feature is that all the map data is downloaded once via wifi and available without the device (like our tablets) even having the ability to access cellular data. In fact, for a long time we did not have a cellular data plan for our phones but Copilot was happy to navigate for us us anyway.

To-date, Copilot map updates have come along maybe every six months and have always been free.

I don't find Google maps has the trails and right-of-way paths marked for hiking. In the US and Canada I use the app Gaia which also works in the UK but I much prefer the OS Maps app here.

Both apps allow you to download maps ahead of time and then use them on GPS only.

Last edited:
I don't find Google maps has the trails and right-of-way paths marked for hiking. In the US and Canada I use the app Gaia which also works in the UK but I much prefer the OS Maps app here.

Both apps allow you to download maps ahead of time and then use them on GPS only.
Thanks for the tip.
I bought a Garmin E30x for trails and immediately returned it. I couldn't figure out how to to download maps and view them.

I wait until getting a notify on my GPS about time to update.

Well, the update I ran last night worked. So, I have the maps for 2018 :dance:. Took around 5 hours total.

Still, don't know exactly what I did differently than the previous 6 or 7 times I tried earlier. Perhaps the software didn't like that SD card I was using.

I'm good til next year, then will cross my fingers again :(.

But with my original posts. Still interested in any updating experiences with non-garmin portable GPS owners.

I've had a similar experience with Garmin the last two times I tried to update. Once it seemed like it succeeded but when I started up the GPS it said my maps were out of date. The next time I let it go overnight when it was saying it would take about 8 hours to finish downloading. It was fine the next morning. According to the messages on screen, the wait time seems to be in the downloading, not the updating, so I assume it's a problem on the Garmin server side.

I do not have to format my memory card before doing the updates.

Back
Top Bottom