Always rusty around faucet

Retire2013

Recycles dryer sheets
Dear All, I am perplexed as to why my faucet does not leak (:D) but there is always a ring of rust and black cruddy looking thing around the faucet and I clean this area with a toothbrush and Ajax all the time. I have a Hot and Cold faucet but I always use only the Cold faucet and this is where the rust/cruddy looking black stuff accumulates around the faucet. On the Hot faucet which I hardly ever use there is no problem. I clean the sink and around the faucet daily but I keep seeing this rust. How do I fix this? Would winding plumber's thread around the base of the faucet help? Do I have to remove the faucet before winding plumber's thread around it? I see no caulk there at all and it was never caulked on either the Cold or the Hot faucet so I don't believe that it is an area where one should caulk?! Please give me your thoughts/advice. Thank you.

Here's a photo of the problem.

Retire 2014

Attachments

• Faucet always looks rusty.jpg
    Faucet always looks rusty.jpg
    417.1 KB · Views: 4
Hey, that looks like mine, too! I think the water comes from what drips off your hand as you turn off the faucet. I believe the rust is in the water and is left when it evaporates. My solution is the same as yours - I use a toothbrush and Barkeeper's Friend or Zud, as they contain oxalic acid which reacts with the rust.

I would guess you leave the area a little damp after use? When this happens and for years of repeated use, the faucet is showing signs of wear and may be corroding at the pipe connection. If you consistently towel dry this area, you may have a very slow leak in the pipe connection and/or handle. Do you have steel water supply lines?

going to guess you have an iron sink... loosen the faucet from below and take it off... clean the rust from the sink bowl and add a "de-ruster" (ask at home depot or lowes) place the faucet back on and silicon caulk around it and you will likely say byebye to rust...

going to guess you have an iron sink... loosen the faucet from below and take it off... clean the rust from the sink bowl and add a "de-ruster" (ask at home depot or lowes) place the faucet back on and silicon caulk around it and you will likely say byebye to rust...

+1 on the cast iron guess with a chip or other void in the porcelain allowing the sink to rust.

You also could have a very slight leak when you turn the faucet on that flows under the cover and then pools there...

But, since the rust is on top... that does not seem right to me... but water does some strange things...

Back
Top Bottom