Amazon.com

cube_rat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Is is my imagination that Amazon's shipping seems very slow? I ordered a DVD on 1/8 using 3-5 day standard shipping (I presume that it means DVD will ship between the 11th and 13th). I look at my account and it states that my order is preparing to ship and will receive between 1/25 to 1/28. huh?? :confused: Of course there's no customer service number as far I can see. It seems like my last 5 orders have been painfully slow and I'm paying a cost for shipping.

Sorry for the rant. The whole Empire Carpet thing has me going this morning.

Got ESRB's book in about 3 days!! 8)

Now if I can find time to read it...

cube_rat said:
Is is my imagination that Amazon's shipping seems very slow? I ordered a DVD on 1/8 using 3-5 day standard shipping (I presume that it means DVD will ship between the 11th and 13th).

I think it means it will take 3-5 days to get to you from the actual date they ship it, which could be in 3 weeks.

yelnad said:
I think it means it will take 3-5 days to get to you from the actual date they ship it, which could be in 3 weeks.

My experience is they tend to "under promise and over deliver", stating a long ship/delivery date, beat that by several days in an effort to generate high customer satisfaction ratings.

My few experiences with them are mostly positive; if they have the item in stock it gets out pretty quick.

However, beware of books that haven't yet been published. They'll put it up for sale as soon as they hear a rumor of a book. intercst was negotiating with IDG for do ER for Dummies (IIRC) and the book showed up on Amazon. intercst and IDG didn't agree on something-or-other and another author did the book instead to the dismay of some pre-orders (I didn't order that one). I ordered a book related to MBTI that Amazon said was to publish in May 2003...then May 2004, then May 2005... I may have added a year in there but we're approaching at least 3 years since my order and I'm wondering how they handle when the customer moves before they ship the item.

I have been ordering from Amazon for a few years now and I can say that with only a few exceptions, delivery was as advertised. The times they were slow were do to third party sellers and not Amazon directly.

They appear to follow a "Just in time" stocking philosophy.

I sell my book through them, but I can only ship to them after they send me an order. They have software that monitors sales and inventory quantities, then it generates the order. Most of the time it works ok. However, if I experience a spike in sales, sometimes by the time they generate the order or a day or after, they will run out of books, then there is a lag time when they are out of books before the shipment gets there.

Back
Top Bottom