Amazon shipping AMZL US

I just wish they (AMZL/UPS/FE/USPS) would take the damn empty/flat boxes back and recycle them. :mad:

Last edited:
...Amazon's delivery is much much worse now that they are using USPS. To the point where I am seriously considering not renewing my prime come January.

That's interesting. My experience is the exact opposite. I'd much rather have the USPS deliver than the other big shipping companies. One thing I like is that USPS delivers as soon as they get it. No sitting around in the warehouse because you paid less for 5-day shipping. Admittedly, this doesn't apply to Prime 2-day shipping.

I just wish they (AMZL/UPS/FE/USPS) would take the damn empty/flat boxes back and recycle them. :mad:

Good point. I also think Amazon used to be better at minimizing packaging. Lately they don't seem to be matching the package size to the product size as well. I'm sure it's cheaper for them to reduce the number of options their packers have to deal with, but I really don't like seeing all that waste.

I have had no issues with Amazon/USPS. The item has always arrived within the 2-day period.

In any event, I don't see how Amazon can influence USPS anymore than all the other's who have tried. How would [-]punishing Amazon[/-] leaving Prime fix things? Where would you purchase and who would deliver it?

My local USPS (rural) is "less than prime" in terms of their ability to deliver packages. In the case of UPS/FEDEX, on the rare occasion I had a problem with a delivery, a call to them has the driver do it correctly on the next delivery. With USPS, I've had packages left in front of my garage door IN A PUDDLE in the rain while 5 feet to the right is a COVERED porch area. When I complained to the local post office manager after this happened repeatedly, then suddenly the delivery person had all kinds of reasons not to deliver packages to the house, e.g. no place to turn around in the driveway. Funny, but UPS and FEDX with a much bigger trucks has no such issue. At its heart, the USPS remains a "government" like organization in terms of how they treat customers.

I would pay Amazon *more* for a super-prime if it did not use the USPS for delivery.

I think the USPS service quality is a highly local thing. As I've said, our local folks are great. But a friend of ours has a relative in another state who works for the USPS there, and tells horror stories about the a-holes she works with. I can certainly see something like the above happening at her post office.

Amazon shipped me a smart light switch.
Of course with these complex things, it turns out I cannot use it in the garage light switch.

So I use their website to tell them I want to return it. Well they wanted $5.99 to return it.
Had I bought it at HD, I could stop by and return it for free.

I went back and selected choice of website info wrong, as the installation instructions clearly say you need extra set of neutral wires in box, but not on the site when you buy it.
Then return was free (no charge).

I have NEVER returned anything to Amazon, I could see if I was abusing their return system, like buy an xbox, play for a month and return it, then charge but otherwise it should be free.

Was the $5.99 for shipping? I have only had to send something back to Amazon 3 times in over ten years -- the last over a year ago. I am fortunate to live within two miles of an Amazon Box so it was simply a matter of putting it in the box and waiting a couple (well, several) hours for the credit to appear.

...So I use their website to tell them I want to return it. Well they wanted $5.99 to return it.
Had I bought it at HD, I could stop by and return it for free.

I went back and selected choice of website info wrong, as the installation instructions clearly say you need extra set of neutral wires in box, but not on the site when you buy it.
Then return was free (no charge).

...I could see if I was abusing their return system, like buy an xbox, play for a month and return it, then charge but otherwise it should be free.

I don't see the problem. At first, you told them (electronically) that you'd simply changed your mind. In that case I'd tend to agree that it's on you to pay the shipping back to them. Also note that they can't re-sell returned items for the same price, so basically they're out the shipping and almost the full product cost.

Then you changed that to say that THEY made a mistake. Yeah. Now it's on them to suck it up. And they did. They're still out the shipping (both ways) and the product cost, but they did the right thing by a customer.

I'd say that's pretty good customer service.

^ that's exactly how it works. Depending on the reason selected, if amazon thinks it's their fault, they will fund the return shipping.

If it's simply buyer remorse, changed mind, etc., the buyer funds the return label. Pretty much 90% of online shopping works this way. Many retailers will have you pay return shipping no matter what. Some higher end ones will include a prepaid return label with your initial purchase. Some (like zappos) make a big deal about "free returns", and bake that into their price models.

Yes the charge of $5.99 is for shipping it back.
Which is what makes the shine a lot duller about buying from Amazon, considering it was the first thing I returned in 10 years.
I avoid buying clothes or shoes from them as I figure it's too hard to get the right fit.

Basically the return fee (for good customers) makes brick and mortar stores more attractive.

Amazon has a program for some clothing and shoes which does have free returns, Prime Wardrobe.
BTW another shipment is delayed, supposed to be in yesterday and supposedly will receive it today.

Basically the return fee (for good customers) makes brick and mortar stores more attractive.

I see your point, but I have a different perspective.

I don't buy things with the intention of returning them.

If I HAVE to return something, it's because of a problem with it (or, as in your case, with the seller's on-line description.)

I have a bucket of drywall "mud" (joint compound) that I'd opened to use, and found it all dried out. It stopped that project in it's tracks, and now I have to go through the hassle of heading back to WalMart (about 12 miles each way) and standing in line at the returns counter. They'll happily take it back and refund my full purchase price, I'm sure. But what a PITA!

Had I bought it on line, I'd be able to ship it back, no charge. A few minutes on line and a printed return label, and it's done.

I also know that returned items generally can't be resold for full retail. Amazon doesn't, and although I know some B&M stores do, it creates problems for the next customer, who might find their "new" product damaged, or missing parts.

I just feel it's morally wrong to buy something with the attitude that it can be easily returned if I change my mind.

I see your point, but I have a different perspective.

I don't buy things with the intention of returning them.

I just feel it's morally wrong to buy something with the attitude that it can be easily returned if I change my mind.

Maybe my posts came across the wrong way.

I totally agree with the bold statements above, as that is how I also shop.

For example when I buy shoes/clothes I try them on and only buy them if I want them. I have NEVER returned shoes/clothes, this is why I won't buy them online, as I couldn't try them on so there would be a problem of getting fit. So I buy them from brick and mortar stores.

For example when I buy shoes/clothes I try them on and only buy them if I want them. I have NEVER returned shoes/clothes, this is why I won't buy them online, as I couldn't try them on so there would be a problem of getting fit. So I buy them from brick and mortar stores.

Try Amazon Prime Wardrobe. The whole idea is that you try things on at home and return anything that doesn't fit or that you don't like within a week. There's no stigma associated with returning the items and no charge. They just restock them and will send them to the next person who orders, same as if you tried things on in a store and didn't end up buying them.

I used it to buy hiking shoes before our trip to Switzerland last summer, and it was amazing! I tried on 8 pairs of shoes, kept 1 pair and sent back the other 7. No hassle at all. They don't even process the charge until you tell them which items you're keeping.

I have small feet and most stores don't carry much, if anything, in my size; so it was such a luxury to have multiple good choices and be able to go with one I liked instead of making do with what they had.

Found out today that in Baton Rouge that UPS is placing pods in certain neighborhoods and then has drivers running around in golf carts with trailers delivering packages. Has anybody else seen this?

Found out today that in Baton Rouge that UPS is placing pods in certain neighborhoods and then has drivers running around in golf carts with trailers delivering packages. Has anybody else seen this?

I have not seen that, but it sounds like a good idea.

What we have seen, is several shiny new AMZL mini-vans delivering in our neighborhood.

My last few orders seem to have arrived by regular UPS or Fedex trucks. They are very busy and I sometimes see more than one large UPS truck delivering packages just on our block.

Looks like Amazon shipping has gotten their act together in our area. Just got a package that I ordered on Friday!

In a major metro suburb. They have been here for a couple of years. Don't buy from Amz much, but no prob with these drivers.

I see them 7 days a week. This is how same day delivery is accomplished at no cost other than Prime subscription.

( major Amazon dist. center about 50 miles from LA. ).

Leased vans. Subcontractor hires the drivers is my understanding.

Also see same delivering to A*azon lockers.

Back
Top Bottom