An idea for a 'simplify your life' challenge

I have been trying to do this recently by not buying knick-knacks at my favorite junk/collectible store and also not adding to my bulging clothes closets. I might even sell off a few things this summer to make the house feel more spacious.

Thanks for all the feedback. Some have said that an item a day would be tough. Me, I could do that simply with a courageous cull of my books. In theory at least :)

Here's an idea, we could make it a weekly event, meaning we post once a week about what that weeks items are. Some of us can collect 7 items for that week, others might just do a few or even one.

Its probably a more natural timescale for actually disposing of something (weekly), as its a reasonable time for something to sell on craigslist, and a reasonable frequency for trips to goodwill.

Its also a reasonable frequency for resurrecting a thread - like Wednesday Weigh Ins.

Thoughts?

I like the idea. I'm running pretty lean right now, but there is always more stuff to jetison.

Thanks for all the feedback. Some have said that an item a day would be tough. Me, I could do that simply with a courageous cull of my books. In theory at least :)

Here's an idea, we could make it a weekly event, meaning we post once a week about what that weeks items are. Some of us can collect 7 items for that week, others might just do a few or even one.

Its probably a more natural timescale for actually disposing of something (weekly), as its a reasonable time for something to sell on craigslist, and a reasonable frequency for trips to goodwill.

Its also a reasonable frequency for resurrecting a thread - like Wednesday Weigh Ins.

Thoughts?

I'm in.

But, but, but these are the toys that I have already paid for. Some I have not really played with.

Throwing them out? What a waste! It's a crime in the LBYM book!

No, I am not in! I shall not throw out anything before it's time.

Hell no, I won't throw.

No way I can do one item per day. However, 365 in a year would be no problem. we usually do 3-4 trips to the Salvation Army per year, and I bet we exceed 100 items per trip. Since I now have to document them to get the tax break I'll just post my Form 8283 here each April.

I do have a bunch of stuff to give away, throw out, recycle. Just have to get into gear and sort it and do it.

But, but, but these are the toys that I have already paid for. Some I have not really played with.

Hell no, I won't throw.
That's why NW-Bound needs two houses plus an RV! LOL!

Audrey

Hell no, I won't throw.

I suggest you sit down and watch a couple of episodes of Hoarders back to back. That normally has me running around the house looking for things to toss.

A good friend recently told me I was the only person she knew who would not have to de-clutter her house to sell it.

So not in, but looking forward to seeing your efforts!

The only thing I can think of that might be considered clutter is my collection of Care Bears. 99% of them were given to me. I have other stuffed animals as well that were gifts.

I just can't look at their little faces and tell them they have to go away...:-\

A good friend recently told me I was the only person she knew who would not have to de-clutter her house to sell it.

What's your modus operandi? It seems like the more LBYM I get, the more clutter I get. I hate it. :(

What's your modus operandi? It seems like the more LBYM I get, the more clutter I get. I hate it. :(

We don't save things just in case they might come in handy, like shoeboxes, plastic butter tubs, etc. We've only lived in one house that is very old and small, with old-fashioned small closets, so we didn't really have room for extra stuff. If we get something new (say a new winter coat), we send the old one to the Salvation Army. We dump junk mail as soon as it comes into the house (we do subscribe to the newspaper but it goes into recycling every day), and I'm really good at keeping on top of recordkeeping/filing/etc. I can't remember the last book I bought--I love my public library.

Oh Sure now you guys think of this. In the last six months I have thrown given away or sold hundreds of items, May even a thousand. I cleaned my garage, the back of the barn a storeroom and my attic. IT is worth the effort. :LOL:

I've been reading the thread about moving into a smaller space after retiring. I'm planning to do that too, but I have a long way to go before I'll be able to fit into the tiny house I'm planning. I want to build it myself, i.e. with my own two hands, so it's tiny because I don't think I'd ever finish a bigger one! So it occurred to me, why don't I pick out rooms equivalent to the floor area of my tiny house and downsize in-between now and when I retire. I've been test driving my pension, now I can test drive my square footage too. I think "fling-a-thing-a-day" will be a big help toward that. I just want to know one thing....what are we going to call it? Clutter-free Friday? Simplifiy-it Saturday? or what?

I've been on a decluttering mission lately. Today I decided to give away a huge box of books, including all of the Feng Shui books I bought and never read.

Last week I bought 12 identical pair of black socks, the color I usually wear. Now I don't have to match up socks anymore. I had this huge stack of all different kinds of "one of" black socks. Any pairs went to Goodwill, and singles got tossed out.

I applaud your effort on getting rid of stuff, but for me I'd rather get rid of stuff in big batches every month or so.

Make it a weekly event, meaning we post once a week about what that weeks items are. Some of us can collect 7 items for that week, others might just do a few or even one.
Thoughts?
The thread could be called "How did you declutter today?"

Just to make sure I understand... this thread is about getting rid of or repurposing one's own possessions, not those [-]tchotchkes[/-] valuable collectibles so lovingly gathered by our spouses, right?

We're getting rid of our kid in just 181 days. You can put us down for that one right now.

I've been doing a lot of decluttering lately, on the fly as the mood hits me.
Dress clothes leftover from w*rking days are next on the list. Most are too big for me anyway. I was a lot heavier when I was trapped behind a desk, eating lunch out every day and being inactive.

I think I could manage a giveaway once a week. :blush:

Nords - getting rid of spouses belongings certainly counts, and counts double if you do it without permission!

We could do a weekly progress thread. Set a goal and then report weekly progress. The last while I have had a goal to fill one garbage can weekly with decluttering stuff,. This is not going to work any longer as i am giving away more than I am junking now.

Yeah, I like the idea of a weekly thread, preferably one we resurrect on weekends (a good time for us w*rking stiffs to post an item for sale on ebay, or run something to goodwill)

I'd appreciate more ideas for what to call the thread, although we have a few good suggestions already.

Nords - getting rid of spouses belongings certainly counts, and counts double if you do it without permission!
I think I'd only take credit for the bonus points as long as I survived the experience...

BTW it's mango tree pruning month here. Can we claim that getting rid of five 65-gallon cans of mango branches, or other yard waste, counts as "simplifying"?

Oh Sure now you guys think of this. In the last six months I have thrown given away or sold hundreds of items, May even a thousand. I cleaned my garage, the back of the barn a storeroom and my attic. IT is worth the effort. :LOL:

Same here. Well, not the garage or barn since I have neither, and not the attic because I don't store things up there. However I have been de-cluttering for the past year or two since we plan to move ourselves when we move to Missouri (probably in 2011).

I can't imagine just throwing one item away at a time, though. It would have taken months for me to throw out half my Mardi Gras beads (and I still have half left). A local charity is doing a pick-up on Thursday so if I de-clutter, I'll remove as much as I can and leave it out for them to pick up. Sounds like a good way to get rid of any remaining "representing the agency" work clothes since I no longer will need them for formal meetings. The flyer left by that charity also mentions kitchen items so maybe it's time to investigate the most seldom-used lower cupboard in my kitchen.

Until my initial decluttering, I thought my house did not have enough storage space. Amazing how those closets GROW when the clutter/junk is tossed out.

Back
Top Bottom