Andy Griffith is gone RIP!

Very sad news! I sometimes imagine myself walking down that dirt road headed to the fishing hole.

Very sad news! I sometimes imagine myself walking down that dirt road headed to the fishing hole.

You can do it:

The Andy Griffith Show Opening Credits - YouTube

Traveled to Franklin Canyon Park in the Hollywood hills which is the real "Myers Lake" so father and son could walk down that path where Andy and Opie walked.

Andy Griffith Show and Mayberry Filming Locations in Southern California that You Can Visit - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

-ERD50

And look at little Opie now. Had more than a couple of yuks with Andy.

My wife and I both enjoyed the Andy Griffith Show and all the members of the cast. RIP Andy. Don Knotts (Barney Fife) passed away some years ago and I know Floyd the barber died. Also, aunt Bee I'm sure is gone. That show and The Waltons were reminders of easier days and times.
We have a couple CD's of the Andy Griffith Show and our African Grey whistles the theme song of the show. We play the CD's for him when we go away so he can hear the song and their voices. DW just informed Mac that his buddy passed away. He's always got this look on his face like What? Who?

I loved him, particularly on the Andy Griffith show. He portrayed my ideal of the perfect Dad.

So sad. RIP Andy. One of the funniest shows ever on TV.

Also RIP to George Lindsey ("Goober") who died about a month ago.

Naaa, he's not gone, he's headed up to Mount Pilot.

End of an era! I especially loved the whole sequence with the Darling family and the crazy Ernest T. Bass.

The silent Darling boys are the Dillards bluegrass band in real life--love their music!

I remember flipping through the channels one day, and seeing both him and Dick Van Dyke appearing together on an episode of Diagnosis Murder.

Pictures & Photos of Andy Griffith - IMDb

Kind of bittersweet. One one hand, such a treat seeing to TV icons together. On the other seeing how much they aged since on the black and white TV.

Andy Griffith had a totally different role in a made for TV movie that was out many years ago called "Murder in Coweta County" which had Johnny Cash in the lead role, A.G. as second. Andy Griffith exhibited a dark side in the movie. It was creepy seeing him in that role after all the Mayberry life, but he did it well, nice and e-vil.

The Dillards (Darling Boys) have several excellent CDs available.

He was also in that creepy 1950s movie A Face in the Crowd.

Remember Andy's first girlfriend? She was a lot different than the staid (boring) Helen. I think she was too wild for Andy. Elinor Donahue--of Father Knows Best fame. She's still acting.

From the episode titled "Opie the Birdman". In this episode, Opie killed a bird with his slingshot and was dismayed to learn she had babies. Andy scolded him for killing the bird, then turned this into a lesson of compassion and love. Still makes me cry....

Opie the Birdman - YouTube

I will miss him and Andy Taylor.

Legendary television actor Andy Griffith dead at 86 | Fox News

"I see so many TV shows about the South where the creative powers behind it have no life experience in the South," Fincannon said. "What made `The Andy Griffith Show' work was Andy Griffith himself -- the fact that he was of this dirt and had such deep respect for the people and places of his childhood. A character might be broadly eccentric, but the character had an ethical and moral base that allowed us to laugh with them and not at them. And Andy Griffith's the reason for that."

Andy, Opie, and Horatio - YouTube

This extended excerpt of an early episode was before Andy Griffith mellowed his Southern drawl a bit and also learned to allow the other characters to get all the laughs and for him to just be the straight man--which he had learned to do by the 2nd season, he stated in later interviews).

Hey, which two characters were often spoken to but never seen?

BTW: Although I loved this show very much, I thought it odd that there were so few, if any, African Americans in this fictional Southern town.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in North Carolina, as everywhere, he was much loved and will be very much missed.

Thanks for the memories, Mr. Griffith. R.I.P.

From the episode titled "Opie the Birdman". In this episode, Opie killed a bird with his slingshot and was dismayed to learn she had babies. Andy scolded him for killing the bird, then turned this into a lesson of compassion and love. Still makes me cry....
Ron Howard mentioned in an interview that his dad (his parents were also actors) coached him through his tears in that scene by suggesting that he think about a family pet which had recently passed on.

Around that time his parents also bought Ron a movie camera and let him direct them in his own family home videos. Talk about an apprenticeship...

Remember Andy's first girlfriend? She was a lot different than the staid (boring) Helen. I think she was too wild for Andy. Elinor Donahue--of Father Knows Best fame. She's still acting.

To me, the sexiest of Andy's handful of girlfriends during the course of the series was Peggy McMillan--who, during the 3rd season, was the girl who skipped rocks over the water with Andy, tried unsuccessfully to get him to eat escargot at a fancy French restaurant, got mud splashed on her by a passing car while waiting for an absent Andy, and eventually became "blood brothers" with Opie before the three went out for an early morning fishing adventure. She was played by the beautiful Joanna Moore--future ex-wife of Ryan O'Neal, and the mother of the very young Oscar-winner Tatum O'Neal and her brother Griffin.
Joannacookmoore.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom