Animals we share our lives with

I used to have 2 cats but my ex GF took them with her when she left... I will post a picture of the cats if I find one.

Lisa, I think we'll feel that way when our hell hound goes--Jane, the evil dog. She's 13 and deaf now, and has eaten more doors than I can count. Her mom, the long suffering Grace, is so patient and good, but nearing the end at 16 as well.
Jane was the only pup of Grace's we kept, and boy have we rued that decision over the past decade or so! I agree, though, you miss them all, even when they are PITAs.
So sorry for your loss.

We have Ashley, the Chinchilla, Avery, the tarantula, and two fish whose names escape me. Ashley is 9 years old now and can potentially live to around 30 if I remember correctly.

Ashley8.jpg

and this sweet boy is Truman. He's a Newfoundland/Akita cross that thinks every person on the planet was put here to pet him.

He started as a foster dog. A co-worker was transferred to England for two years and was about to put Tru in a shelter. We took him in and and agreed to give him back when their expat was over. At the end of two years my co-worker called and said his expat had been extended for another two years. I told them that Truman was a part of the family and that we wanted to keep him. They agreed (happily I think) and seven years later Truman is still terrorizing the mailman with his very loud and deep bark, but he's secretly just wanting to lick him to death!

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 3
Lisa, I think we'll feel that way when our hell hound goes--Jane, the evil dog. She's 13 and deaf now, and has eaten more doors than I can count. Her mom, the long suffering Grace, is so patient and good, but nearing the end at 16 as well.
Jane was the only pup of Grace's we kept, and boy have we rued that decision over the past decade or so! I agree, though, you miss them all, even when they are PITAs.
So sorry for your loss.

Thanks Sarah, I'm sorry to hear your trials and tribulations but it's so wonderful that you didn't give up on Jane 'the evil dog'! We had more than one family member question our sanity for not sending Marshall 'back to the shelter'.....how is it possible to even contemplate that possibility since in Marshall's case it would have been a death sentence.

Lisa, I love your Truman story, too. And because we do so much fostering, I've often thought that we only get rid of the "good ones" and wind up keeping the dysfunctional dogs as our own...ditto the cats. I'm very sure that NO ONE else in the world would have kept evil Jane.

I've often thought that we only get rid of the "good ones" and wind up keeping the dysfunctional dogs as our own...ditto the cats.

It's funny isn't it - the ones that are different are in many ways the most lovable and memorable - and Lisa - Truman sounds wonderful.

We are huge pet lovers. We have 3 dogs, two from the shelter and one is my dad's old dog that we inherited this year. I also have my Siamese cat.

Tuna la Quinta. Last cat that is really ours and the only one with us here. She underwent tutelage from our grandma kitty, had a long apprenticeship, and has a number of learned endearing traits as well as some that are of her own devise. Kind of a big chicken but a very loving cat. Not big boned, just very well fed - she does a great sea otter imitation when laying on her back..

Attachments

• Tuna.jpg
    Tuna.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 8
We have Ashley, the Chinchilla, Avery, the tarantula, and two fish whose names escape me. Ashley is 9 years old now and can potentially live to around 30 if I remember correctly.

Ashley8.jpg

I'm a kitty cat lover at heart but have developed a deep appreciation for Chinchillas through my volunteer work at our local animal shelter. We often get them in. Sadly, like ferrets, bunnies and guinea pigs, these wonderful animals are often adopted for the wrong reasons and are often misunderstood. Many end up at our shelter and we work very hard to re-home them. Chinchillas are such amazing critters - softest fur ever and those amazing little hands/paws :)

Tuna la Quinta. Last cat that is really ours and the only one with us here. She underwent tutelage from our grandma kitty, had a long apprenticeship, and has a number of learned endearing traits as well as some that are of her own devise. Kind of a big chicken but a very loving cat. Not big boned, just very well fed - she does a great sea otter imitation when laying on her back..

Tuna is adorable!!!

Yeah, I like that Tuna kitty! And we have a pair of semi-feral kitties named Jinx (tabby) and Minx (black/white) and we call the black/white one Tuna instead because she is shaped exactly like one! Definitely a full figured gal! My Pancake is sitting in my lap as I type, but she is not pancake shaped, but rather was found outside the IHOP in freezing weather by my boss.

I had a rabbit as a child but that chinchilla looks so cute! One day, one day...

LOL on the sea otter imitation! We had a fat cat who was a torti (brown) and we always said she was doing her dead groundhog pose. That's her below. She was a sweet thing, but had that torti attitude. We lost her 2 years ago and I still miss her.

As far as naming - we once had a neighbor who worked at Walmart, and she was always bringing home stray cats. She had Wally, Marty, and Sam.

Attachments

• IMG_0336.JPG
    IMG_0336.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 9
I'm a kitty cat lover at heart but have developed a deep appreciation for Chinchillas through my volunteer work at our local animal shelter. We often get them in. Sadly, like ferrets, bunnies and guinea pigs, these wonderful animals are often adopted for the wrong reasons and are often misunderstood. Many end up at our shelter and we work very hard to re-home them. Chinchillas are such amazing critters - softest fur ever and those amazing little hands/paws :)

Chinchillas really are great pets as they are relatively low maintenance but they are a huge commitment due to their lifespan which can be as much as 18-22 years. I post 30 earlier but was indeed mistaken.

Yesterday we said goodbye, after 16 good years, to our first dog Grace. She had a wonderful life, growing up at the beach, sharing every milestone with us, and finally retiring to the sunshine of the country. She will be missed.
Little did we know when we brought home that little border collie puppy the year after we got married, what the incredible impact she would have on our lives.

Attachments

• Grace.jpg
    Grace.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Grace1.jpg
    Grace1.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 3
Yesterday we said goodbye, after 16 good years, to our first dog Grace. She had a wonderful life, growing up at the beach, sharing every milestone with us, and finally retiring to the sunshine of the country. She will be missed.
Little did we know when we brought home that little border collie puppy the year after we got married, what the incredible impact she would have on our lives.

I'm so sorry Sarah. RIP dear Grace.

Sarah, I am so sorry to hear about Grace. She was a beautiful dog.

Back
Top Bottom