Do I have Sucker on My Forehead

Another recommendation to have the dog trained in your home. Our friends just paid $5K to have their dog trained in their home and all bad behaviors are gone. It is well worth it.

Dog training is 90% owner training.

Back in my family days, the kids wanted a cat and my then wife thought it would be a good idea. I agreed on the condition that I did not have to do anything to care for the animal, especially cleaning out a litter box.

Years later, the wife ran off, and the kids moved out. Not one of them wanted to take the cat. Guess who was stuck with the cat?

Thankfully, cats didn’t have to be walked, and the animal was so old that it perished in about a year. Had it been a 2 year old cat, there would have been big problems for them.

This experience is one reason I never want another pet again. At least until all I can do is get up, feed both of us and then lay my aging body down for a nap. Rinse and repeat all day.

Last edited:
Pretty irresponsible of your son to get a pet without thinking it through, leaving you holding the bag.

I agree. Dumping a 12 - 15 year daily commitment in someone's lap is wrong. Even if they're dog lovers, it's not fair to assume they're just take over.

We're both dog lovers but have turned down requests to home someone else's dog.

Breedlove--
Our very best dog was a bully mix, yours sounds like a sweet love bug .
Bully breeds do love to be lap dogs, ours thought he was even at 90 pounds!
He is still a puppy, probably won't completely calm down until 12-18 months.
He is now old enough to be neutered, if you have no plans to breed.
A crate at night is great if you don't want him on the bed.
Keep working with him on commands daily, mental stimulation can wear them out just like physical exercise. Teach him fetch outside, I spend tons of time outside with our current puppy--he gets lots of running in while I throw the ball.

Sounds like this guy is growing on you, thank you for taking him. Bully breeds often do not get re homed.

There may be some online videos you can watch to train the pup not to jump on people.

When we first became guardians of the doggo, I was fresh out of the hospital post-surgery (bandages, drains, etc.) and DS (not the owner) who was home immediately trained the doggo not to jump on Mom - and she stopped cold.

My name is grasshopper and I am a foster failure. First one Jasper we fostered him and the family returned him that was 9 years ago.

This past week we had been fostering a 6 month pup. Lady returned her, was to playful. Cleo now joins the pack. She is also going to be a large dog.
I have to say that we only foster dogs that we know that we will love and keep them if they come back to us.
cleo.jpg

My name is grasshopper and I am a foster failure. First one Jasper we fostered him and the family returned him that was 9 years ago.

This past week we had been fostering a 6 month pup. Lady returned her, was to playful. Cleo now joins the pack. She is also going to be a large dog.
I have to say that we only foster dogs that we know that we will love and keep them if they come back to us.
View attachment 47838

LOL, a foster failure. I love it. And - I think you're very wise as to accepting doggos that you will keep if they come back to you!

I think I would tell your son "Hey! We're doing your j*b THIS TIME. Don't pull this on us again!"

(Enjoy your new family member.):flowers:

Our yellow Lab flunked guide dog school in Rochester, MI. He would have killed a blind person. Chased squirrels, rabbits, geese, and wildlife that moved. I almost brought him back b/c we could not control him in our house either. Our older Lab (14 yrs. old) trained him. Could not believe it. He doesn't jump on the bed or couch. He's a complete sweetheart. The older Lab passed and the younger mourned. I felt like a sucker for about a year, until the transformation happened. So glad we kept him, he's beautiful.

Our yellow Lab flunked guide dog school in Rochester, MI. He would have killed a blind person. Chased squirrels, rabbits, geese, and wildlife that moved. I almost brought him back b/c we could not control him in our house either. Our older Lab (14 yrs. old) trained him. Could not believe it. He doesn't jump on the bed or couch. He's a complete sweetheart. The older Lab passed and the younger mourned. I felt like a sucker for about a year, until the transformation happened. So glad we kept him, he's beautiful.
Your post reminded me of the movie Marley and Me about a yellow lab that also flunked obedience school. If you've never seen it, I think you'd enjoy it.

The problems with the OP is why we got cats...

Now, they have their own problems but not as much...

Your post reminded me of the movie Marley and Me about a yellow lab that also flunked obedience school. If you've never seen it, I think you'd enjoy it.

Yes, saw it. Muncie calmed down so much after a year or so. He's 9 yrs. old now. My heart will break into a thousand pieces when he goes. Make me tear up thinking about it.

The problems with the OP is why we got cats...

Now, they have their own problems but not as much...

Yeah, back in the day, our Siamese destroyed one (just one) chair. She decided THAT was her scratching post. NOTHING we did could stop her, so we gave up and dedicated that chair to her. She never touched another chair with her claws. She had "personalty PLUS!"

For days after she went to Kitty Heaven, DW and I swore we could hear her calling (just like always) as we approached the entry door from the garage. It was spooky. YMMV

Of course you have sucker on your forehead. Every dog owner does, and we love it:dance:

OP, You get double wings, helping your kid feel okay about their life and taking care of a difficult but charming in their own special way doggy. We get it.

Last edited:

That movie destroys me :LOL:

Seriously though, to the OP, and to all those that adopt, you're not a sucker. You're an angel for saving that creature. We need more people like you. Well done!!!

I'm surprised at how many people think that it's perfectly okay for an adult child to dump an unwanted pet at their parents.

He'll calm down. Give it time.

He's a puppy. That's what puppys do. Pitties actually get very lazy after a couple of years. Don't worry--enjoy the love! And don't let them on the bed...we made that mistake. Now she makes tiny pitiful cries if we don't:)

Tazz thinks he is a clown 24/7 . But he is an out of control bowling ball. Today we were outside after eating bugs chasing the frisbee he decided to go into the woods . I was calling him , couldn’t see him but could hear him . Finally he comes running out of the woods . His ears are down and he seems scared to death . Right behind him is Cowboy the neighbors 5 lb Chihuahua . Poor Cowboy is so old he is missing teeth but he puts up with nothing . My dog is standing beside me with his tongue out panting and his heart rushing like a 2000 bear got him. I don’t know how to post photos , he even looks like a clown . He is white with big black eyes and a big black nose . Has a black spot over his eye like Spudz . Tomorrow evening is his second training class . uhhhhhh.

Our Staffordshire terrier is 8 years old and the best most loving dog we have ever had. the first 2 years we had her, she had so much energy that we wondered what we had done in adopting her. she began to mellow at 2-3 years old and now is very even tempered and reasonably calm most of the time. she does sleep on the bed with us or should i say she allows us to sleep with her. it has been worth every minute and we are glad to have her as part of our family.

I'm surprised at how many people think that it's perfectly okay for an adult child to dump an unwanted pet at their parents.
I would guess that those of us who took the pets are animal lovers and also love our kids. Plus everyone is entitled to one mistake. I also found a home for my last husband’s x wife dog when she was dying. I was prepared to add the dog to my crew but luckily found her a great home. So many pets die in shelters and I always try to avoid having that happen. When I had my house I frequently had 4 dogs because of this.

We are down to “just” 2 dogs and a cat. I keep swearing up and down that I am done with fur factories and the constant cleaning and vacuuming.
We do travel a lot but there is a string of people who are thrilled to house sit for us so rarely an issue.. but it is impossible to say no to the strays who adopt us!

we are also feeding several stray cats and more birds and hummingbirds than we can count! DW loves her birdies!

One of the pleasures of my retired life is membership in a dog-training club. My dog gets socialization experience, and we have fellowship with other dog lovers and their pets. If I had to start limiting my activities, this is the last one I would give up.

Tazz thinks he is a clown 24/7 . But he is an out of control bowling ball. Today we were outside after eating bugs chasing the frisbee he decided to go into the woods . I was calling him , couldn’t see him but could hear him . Finally he comes running out of the woods . His ears are down and he seems scared to death . Right behind him is Cowboy the neighbors 5 lb Chihuahua . Poor Cowboy is so old he is missing teeth but he puts up with nothing . My dog is standing beside me with his tongue out panting and his heart rushing like a 2000 bear got him. I don’t know how to post photos , he even looks like a clown . He is white with big black eyes and a big black nose . Has a black spot over his eye like Spudz . Tomorrow evening is his second training class . uhhhhhh.

Here is how I post photos using my Chromebook.

Add your comments
Click go advanced-click paperclip-choose file-open file-upload-close manage attachment window- preview post to make sure you added the right attachment and submit reply.

I'd love to see a photo of TAZZ, he sounds wonderful.

He’ll calm down. Dogs go through stages just like little kids.

Back
Top Bottom