Animals we share our lives with

Awww Nemo, my Grace also shared those lines. And I still have her papers too. There is something special about borders. Will you get another? I love your line about him getting tired-will use that in my future home visits with potential adopters! :)
Here's another Border Collie story for you:

When my late wife and I lived in B.C. we were on a hill where the driveway sloped down to the house - one time we were both in the front garden working, and Zak, as Borders are wont to do, was frantically looking for a 'toy'......offhandedly, (and without pointing), I said to him "I saw a ball behind the big rock at the top of the drive".

He immediately turned around, walked up the drive, went behind the rock and retrieved the ball - we were agape.

Will I get another? Doubtful. I turned 69 in September, my lady & I live in a small condo townhouse and just about the only place in town where dogs can run is the fenced dog park.......society is becoming more and more paranoid, and I swear it won't be long before 'they' demand that kids wear helmets while watching TV.

There's also another factor, I hope I wouldn't do it but I've seen it happen.......people have had "That ONE dog" and subsequent animals don't live up to expectations and the next dog just doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Last edited:
I said to him "I saw a ball behind the big rock at the top of the drive".

He immediately turned around, walked up the drive, went behind the rock and retrieved the ball - we were agape.
Our sheppard/husky runt knew about 300 words. We were always amazed when she would pick up on our conversation, not even directed at her, like having mentioned drive or car or walk and there she was up on her feet in front of me wagging. Spooky!

Our sheppard/husky runt knew about 300 words. We were always amazed when she would pick up on our conversation, not even directed at her, like having mentioned drive or car or walk and there she was up on her feet in front of me wagging. Spooky!
LOL....we couldn't even make the 'G' sound in 'Going' before Zak was at the door. :LOL:

As a kid, I had a dog that could spell. If I said "I'm going to Gary's" he would show up at Gary's later (2 miles away), even if we locked him in the house until long after I'd gone.

So I'd say "I'm going to G.A.R.Y.S."

I know, he didn't really know how to spell, but it is what we would tell people.

One of the CDs I listen to while working out on the elliptical features this track.......every time I hear it I think of my dog and it brings the proverbial lump to my throat:

[youtube]mt4ZcsBfaNU[/youtube]

.......... the only place in town where dogs can run is the fenced dog park.......society is becoming more and more paranoid, and I swear it won't be long before 'they' demand that kids wear helmets while watching TV..............

I walk my dog 2 to 3 miles everyday (on leash) and by far the biggest hassle I have is with people that let their dogs run loose. I will grant you that some, if not most, of the loose dogs are very obedient and sweet, but there are enough idiots to screw it up for everyone. Not surprisingly, the aggressive dogs seem to be owned by aggressive people. So, I'm an advocate for enforced leash laws.

I walk my dog 2 to 3 miles everyday (on leash) and by far the biggest hassle I have is with people that let their dogs run loose. I will grant you that some, if not most, of the loose dogs are very obedient and sweet, but there are enough idiots to screw it up for everyone. Not surprisingly, the aggressive dogs seem to be owned by aggressive people. So, I'm an advocate for enforced leash laws.
I know what you mean, but my Border Collie was trained to walk to heel unleashed...........on a trail I once encountered a woman with an obnoxious dog, so I put mine in a Down Stay - the woman's dog meanwhile was up on its back legs and she's pulling with all her strength to hold it...all the while yelling at me "Put your dog on a leash, put your dog on a leash".

I said "Lady, MY dog is under control....YOUR dog has to be forcibly restrained".

I know what you mean, but my Border Collie was trained to walk to heel unleashed...........on a trail I once encountered a woman with an obnoxious dog, so I put mine in a Down Stay - the woman's dog meanwhile was up on its back legs and she's pulling with all her strength to hold it...all the while yelling at me "Put your dog on a leash, put your dog on a leash".

I said "Lady, MY dog is under control....YOUR dog has to be forcibly restrained".

It is fortunate that this aggressive dog was on a leash. Think about what it would have been like if the dog was off leash.

It is fortunate that this aggressive dog was on a leash. Think about what it would have been like if the dog was off leash.
My Border was a 70lb, (no fat), un-neutered male, who, while being very placid, didn't take kindly to rudeness. ;)

But, yeah...I also encountered, (a couple times before I avoided her), a younger woman with a Pit Bull......."Oh, look", she said the first couple times, "He wants to play with your dog".......I had to inform her that her dog was exhibiting aggression, not 'playing'.:facepalm:

My Border was a 70lb, (no fat), un-neutered male, who, while being very placid, didn't take kindly to rudeness. ;)

But, yeah...I also encountered, (a couple times before I avoided her), a younger woman with a Pit Bull......."Oh, look", she said the first couple times, "He wants to play with your dog".......I had to inform her that her dog was exhibiting aggression, not 'playing'.:facepalm:

Unfortunately, when some people see dogs running off leash, they jump to the conclusion that the law is conditional and of course, they consider their dog an exception, too. So, like other laws, it has to apply to everyone, not just those that need to comply for others' safety and comfort. Unless I'm at the dog park, my dog stays on a leash.

This was my wild-child kitty... she didn't mind a leash. :)

The other kitties in my life....fuhgeddaboudit....

Attachments

• amy.jpg
    amy.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 9
I walk my dog off leash all the time. He does a great service for the community by finding all the cat poop and eating it. He also chases all loose cats that are running around and makes sure they go up trees or into fenced yards where they belong.

I always get about 5 "Your dog is so well-behaved!" comments daily.

Obligate dog photo:
oirqjd.jpg

Last edited:
OK, here's the sort of thing people with Border Collies love, because our dogs are geniuses in charge and the rest of the dog world are their subjects! :) As are we, their "owners". My BCs knew a pretty decent vocabulary, and when they learned "beach" as in we are going there and not taking you, we had to start spelling it out b-e-a-c-h. Yep, they learned that, too.

Here is one of many stories of Chaser, a Border Collie owned by a SC psych professor who may well have a limitless capacity for words. I love that in some of the videos you can tell she isn't particularly obedient, like when she won't bring the ball back after the games.

World Smartest Dog? A New NOVA Special Shows a Border Collie That Can Identify More Than 1,000 Items - ABC News

Nemo, you are probably right to hold off on getting another BC, but you could always consider fostering if there is an active group in your area. That way you get the fun part but not the lifetime commitment! And I do agree about that "one dog" thing--we've done many a home visit where there is a shrine to the perfect dog and I fear that there is no way another dog will ever measure up. The best attitude is that every dog is different, and even littermates don't turn out the same.

This was my wild-child kitty... she didn't mind a leash. :)

The other kitties in my life....fuhgeddaboudit....
we tried leashes. We even have one that takes his collar off when at home. He is belled here in Mexico and accepts that.

One of the CDs I listen to while working out on the elliptical features this track.......every time I hear it I think of my dog and it brings the proverbial lump to my throat:
This was the one that comes to my mind:

[youtube]nKuiS3J52pw[/youtube]

Or as Andy Rooney is reported to have said: "if dogs don't go to heaven, then I want to go where they go!"

we tried leashes. We even have one that takes his collar off when at home. He is belled here in Mexico and accepts that.
Used reverse psychology with our cat when we were RVing......if he was on his leash and I wanted to go to the right....I'd start off by heading left and his contrary nature made him say "No..we're going to the right".

Used reverse psychology with our cat when we were RVing......if he was on his leash and I wanted to go to the right....I'd start off by heading left and his contrary nature made him say "No..we're going to the right".

That was one of the training ideas that was taught by a local pet trainer where my dog and I went for a class. It does work. I tried it the other day on the trail we were walking. The only problem was I looked like I was the one needing training since it appeared I didn't know what way to go.:blush:

Today was supposed to be "snip snip" (getting fixed) day for two 6 month old kittens that I'll be taking in. But only one (female) got fixed today. The male kitty had a slight fever, so the vet gave him some antibiotics to hopefully get the fever down and try again tomorrow.

In December my son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter are going to Brazil for two months. In moment of sheer stupidity I said "why don't you leave your dogs with us while you are gone?" They have two Australian shepherd mixes, each about 40 pounds and very active. They are basically good dogs and I have gotten to know them well on our visits to North Carolina. But now I am realizing that I will have to walk them several times a day during the type of winter weather that I really hate. On top of that, now DW has scheduled her hip replacement surgery in January while the dogs will be here. I am very apprehensive about trying to take care of her during her recuperation and also doing right by the dogs. I've been telling myself that even with the minimum attention from me, the dogs will still be happier than if they were boarded in a kennel for two months.

All of my pets have been cats. I have no experience of living with dogs for an extended period.

Any advice from those of you who regularly share your lives with dogs will be appreciated.

Any advice from those of you who regularly share your lives with dogs will be appreciated.
As our trainer, from years ago, used to say - "A tired puppy is a trouble free puppy".

Grumpy, the pups are likely to settle into your lifestyle rather quickly, so long as you keep their minds active. Like most herding type dogs, they need a good bit of exercise, but mostly they need to "do" something.
Your willingness to care for them is a huge relief to the kids, I promise. One of the real agonies of trying to plan any kind of travel is who I can get to watch the mammals while we are gone.
During the most intensive part of the hip replacement recovery, consider getting a young person to handle the dog walking--an enterprising neighborhood kid can be a great resource if you can find a good one.

Grumpy, the pups are likely to settle into your lifestyle rather quickly, so long as you keep their minds active. Like most herding type dogs, they need a good bit of exercise, but mostly they need to "do" something.
Your willingness to care for them is a huge relief to the kids, I promise. One of the real agonies of trying to plan any kind of travel is who I can get to watch the mammals while we are gone.
During the most intensive part of the hip replacement recovery, consider getting a young person to handle the dog walking--an enterprising neighborhood kid can be a great resource if you can find a good one.

Sarah,

Thanks for the advice. Since we live in a "55 or better" community, that enterprising neighbor is a woman who does dog walking as a business. I've already talked to her and she will help out if I need her.

One concern with trying to give the dogs enough exercise - Penny, the older dog, if let off the leash, will sprint headlong through fences, bushes, thorns, etc. when she catches a scent and has often injured herself. My son no longer lets her off leash at all. He has a large fenced yard where the dogs can run but I do not. Butters, the younger dog loves to chase and fetch (sticks or a ball) and will run himself ragged for as long as anyone will throw. There is a large open area a block from our house where we can do the fetch thing so that should keep Butters tired and happy.

I'm going to try to find a local ball field or other fenced area where I could occasionally take Penny to run around in a safe environment.

The other concern I have is that both dogs insist on barking forcefully when anyone passes by the house or comes to the door. Anyone have any experience with shock collar to curb that kind of barking?

Throw a can full of pennies and gently hit the dog when he/she is barking away.

If you don't believe in hitting your dogs, which I don't, you should instead just forcefully shake the can of coins near them along with a stern verbal command (we use a deep, growly "HEYYYYY" or "WROOONG"). This can lead to simply using the voice command, after they make the association.

Grumpy, at their ages, I'd probably not want to add a bark collar unless your family would start using it before they come to your house. There will be enough stress on them just changing households to start something like bark training, especially with you being a novice. I've seen them used effectively, but generally in experienced hands.

But, what does work, and was mentioned, is distracting the dogs when they bark. A rattled can, a biscuit pulled out of a pocket, a squeaky toy, etc. will all do the same thing, change their obsession from the people outside to what they have right in front of them.

Glad to help!

Back
Top Bottom