Animals we share our lives with

Most of the dogs I've had resisted having their feet touched, even though none had ever experienced injury or abuse. The last two have been different -- both Labs from the same breeder. Part of her process is to handle the puppies from as early an age as prudent, touching and petting their feet & ears to acclimate them. This comes in really handy for cleaning, nail clipping, drying wet feet & ears, etc. Our current Lab will alllow anyone to hold his paws and pet them.

We've always done our own grooming. The first few dogs kept their own nails short from walking on pavement. As we've "matured", we now take our dogs to the park for runs, which necessitates regular nail clipping. We found that doing it immediately after a bath -- when the nails are still soft -- is much easier on them and us. ;)

I wonder if they are ticklish?

And here's one from Riyadh, late 1998.

We were about to return to Canada and had 'adopted' a semi-feral female cat - since she was going to have to acclimatize to being indoors, until we re-established residence, we introduced her to our other cat's litter box, but she was having none of that.

She taught herself to use the toilet......(would drink the fresh water, then use the facilities....never the other way around):

jv0ow4.jpg

Can't help but notice the avacado sink and toidy;)

Can't help but notice the avacado sink and toidy;)
After the rest of our contingent left Saudi we were transferred to an apartment in the Lockheed compound for a couple weeks before flying out.......HUGE apartment, (that was the spare bathroom).....but, hey avocado was all 'the rage' at one time*.

(* Mid 1990s my late wife and I were looking at used 5th wheels on Vancouver Island........salesman said "I have an older class A in great shape with low mileage.....going cheap".

We took a look.......the interior, (carpet/furniture/roof, etc), was ORANGE and the appliances/facilities, (stove/fridge/sinks/toilet), were AVOCADO.

I was in there for about 30 seconds and told the guy that I had to get out because I was getting a headache!)

Here are my two feral kittens recuperating after a visit to the local spay and neuter clinic. They are (were) both toms. If looks could kill... :mad: The clinic said both of them weighed over 6 pounds at 5 months. So, I expect they will be large cats when grown. I feed them only dry Purina Kitten Chow.

Attachments

• 000_0045.jpg
    000_0045.jpg
    665.7 KB · Views: 18
Here are my two feral kittens recuperating after a visit to the local spay and neuter clinic. They are (were) both toms. If looks could kill... :mad: The clinic said both of them weighed over 6 pounds at 5 months. So, I expect they will be large cats when grown. I feed them only dry Purina Kitten Chow.

The white/tabby looks like my Abby. Miss her.

Beautiful cats, Jake.

I officially like you:)

Ozzie is on the left and Casanova is on the right.....typical day for both of them....cuddle up on something soft and nap!

Attachments

• Picture 232.jpg
    Picture 232.jpg
    417.8 KB · Views: 6
Ozzie is on the left and Casanova is on the right.....typical day for both of them....cuddle up on something soft and nap!

Would that be Casanova in your avatar? Love the towel. You should see my house - towels and cat beds all over the place. After all, we do live for the comfort and convenience of the cats;)

Yes, he is my avatar....not a towel, it is a very soft blanket that was too short for my massage table so it is now theirs!

Latte and Boo are my furkids.

Attachments

• image-2695075532.jpg
    image-2695075532.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 202
Every night three lizards gather on the outside of my kitchen window. Here are two of them...seems Curly was bashful and remained in the corner, almost out of sight.

Lizard toes and bellies...:)

Attachments

• DSC04156.jpg
    DSC04156.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Every night three lizards gather on the outside of my kitchen window. Here are two of them...seems Curly was bashful and remained in the corner, almost out of sight.

At least they were on the outside. I had one not too long ago on the inside of mine. Couldn't catch him and never did find him. I imagine I will find his remains one day whenever I move.

During our first long trip in the Tiger RV, Coal decided he liked the couch better than his bed so I covered it with a sheet and let him sleep there. He must really be comfortable as I had not noticed him sleeping on his back before.

Attachments

• IMG_0497.jpg
    IMG_0497.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 13
Awwww...I love when they sleep on their backs...so cute!

I bet those are geckos, their feet look like gecko feet with those suction cup type pad that allow them to walk on vertical glass. Did any of them mention anything about insurance? ;)

During our first long trip in the Tiger RV, Coal decided he liked the couch better than his bed so I covered it with a sheet and let him sleep there. He must really be comfortable as I had not noticed him sleeping on his back before.

How sweet, I love black dogs. He looks like a real nice guy.

Last edited:

Nice. Looks like he feels right at home in the RV.

At least they were on the outside. I had one not too long ago on the inside of mine. Couldn't catch him and never did find him. I imagine I will find his remains one day whenever I move.
Attempting to catch one of those little critters is like trying to lasso a lightning bolt.

I bet those are geckos, their feet look like gecko feet with those suction cup type pad that allow them to walk on vertical glass. Did any of them mention anything about insurance? ;)
My guys are little more laid back....:)

th

Last edited:
Geckos: (Don't know if I posted this before...if I did, my apologies)

In Riyadh we had quite a few geckos around, and we'd laugh at the cats when they, (thought they'd), caught one........first thing, the gecko drops its tail.....the cat has one paw on the body and the other on the tail......the gecko doesn't move, but the tail twitches...cat goes "Ha" and whips both paws over to the tail......gecko leaves.

Geckos: (Don't know if I posted this before...if I did, my apologies)

In Riyadh we had quite a few geckos around, and we'd laugh at the cats when they, (thought they'd), caught one........first thing, the gecko drops its tail.....the cat has one paw on the body and the other on the tail......the gecko doesn't move, but the tail twitches...cat goes "Ha" and whips both paws over to the tail......gecko leaves.

Thus proving, there's more to life than a little tail. :cool:

But, a little tail sure adds some excitement for a while. :ROFLMAO: :angel:

Yesterday was a sad day for me. For most of the summer at Woodhaven, I had two pair of ruby throated hummingbirds at my feeders. During the past two weeks that number swelled to perhaps 12, though counting hummingbirds is a chancy affair.
A literal fireworks display at the feeders, with infighting, and dogfights and chases that went on all day, into the early evening.
Then...
Two days ago... nothing.
These little dynamos are on their long journey to Texas or Chile or wherever they winter.
img_1237532_0_ff2d985cc037537cec69f765bde59bb7.jpg
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom