Animals we share our lives with

:)

Attachments

• losingyourteeth.jpg
    losingyourteeth.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 190
Hey, does anyone here have any experience with Vizsla dogs?

DW has decided on a Boston Terrier as her shadow and lap dog. I spend a lot of time outdoors and I've been thinking about a Vizsla to keep me company on my runs and bike rides and other outdoor activities. I had my first encounter with one of these beautiful dogs last summer when we went camping. A woman was sitting outside the lake shop with her son's dog and I stopped to chat with her. She said that they were very clean dogs, and didn't have that "doggy smell".

Just curious if there was any experience with them, and if there was any advice or issues to be aware of. Thanks in advance.

R

Our new kitty found us!

Another student at school (I've gone back to college to get my teaching certificate to teach middle grades math but that's for another post) was asking everyone who walked by (her class was stuck in the hallway waiting for the instructor to show up) if they wanted a cat. She took in this stray cat about 6 weeks ago but her existing cat and the new cat are not getting along.

We lost Abby about 4 months ago and recently I've started feeling like it's time to adopt another cat. DH wasn't ready but when I texted him these photos (he's in Jersey City for 3 weeks with the Red Cross for Sandy), he said this one would do. Five years ago, we almost adopted a cat identical to this one from the shelter (instead of Abby) but it turned out he was spoken for and hadn't gone to his new home yet because he was getting treatment for ear mites.

This one is a female and I thought the student said she was 3-4 years old. Saturday is the day. I wondered how our new kitty was going to find us!

Attachments

• Gray Kitty Mug Shot.jpg
    Gray Kitty Mug Shot.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Gray Kitty.jpg
    Gray Kitty.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 2
Another student at school (I've gone back to college to get my teaching certificate to teach middle grades math but that's for another post) was asking everyone who walked by (her class was stuck in the hallway waiting for the instructor to show up) if they wanted a cat. She took in this stray cat about 6 weeks ago but her existing cat and the new cat are not getting along.

We lost Abby about 4 months ago and recently I've started feeling like it's time to adopt another cat. DH wasn't ready but when I texted him these photos (he's in Jersey City for 3 weeks with the Red Cross for Sandy), he said this one would do. Five years ago, we almost adopted a cat identical to this one from the shelter (instead of Abby) but it turned out he was spoken for and hadn't gone to his new home yet because he was getting treatment for ear mites.

This one is a female and I thought the student said she was 3-4 years old. Saturday is the day. I wondered how our new kitty was going to find us!

Lucky girl to have found you!

She looks just like our girl!!! Hope yours is a friendly as ours....

We are probably going in the next week or two to get a kitten... for some reason DW wants to get a 'baby' for our cat :facepalm:

To Rambler

Hey, does anyone here have any experience with Vizsla dogs?

Just curious if there was any experience with them, and if there was any advice or issues to be aware of. Thanks in advance.

R

My friend is on her second Vizsla. Beautiful dogs, very short hair, looks like mink to me. Smart, strong, energetic, need LOTS of exercise. LOTS. They are bred to hunt (and point). Will keep your yard free of critters and bring you dead you-name-its as presents. I think there are some diseases inherent in the breed so you need to understand that.

They are so friendly, they love to jump on people, and since they are not small dogs, they need adequate training or they can just about knock you over. They also are velcro-dogs and want to be with you every second. I think a second dog-buddy is a good idea if you don't have the time to give them the attention they want.

That's my perspective from an observational point. I like visiting them but the energy level and size are not my cup of tea... I'm a beagle person myself. For me it was helpful to know about the breed prior to getting my first one. You can find lots on the breed by doing a web search.

:)

The last Vizsla I remember meeting had a propensity for jumping on top of the refrigerator. An awesome dog, but serious exercise and training discipline needed. Beautiful though.

We had a Vizsla puppy for about six months and had to re-home it. That dog was bat-s**t crazy and impossible to train because it could not pay attention for more than 5 seconds ("LOOK - a squirrel! LOOK - a falling leaf! LOOK - a bird!). It was a sweet dog, but way too high strung.

Thanks all for the pointers on the Vizsla. I'm going to need to give this a little more thought. Our Golden, 16 years ago, was pretty high strung...leaves, butterflies, anything that moved, he had to check it out. I loved him but DW won't allow a golden in the house due to he hair and shedding. Regardless of the breed, I think you have to exercise them well if you want them to be well behaved.

R

Thanks all for the pointers on the Vizsla. I'm going to need to give this a little more thought. Our Golden, 16 years ago, was pretty high strung...leaves, butterflies, anything that moved, he had to check it out. I loved him but DW won't allow a golden in the house due to he hair and shedding. Regardless of the breed, I think you have to exercise them well if you want them to be well behaved.

R

FYI, Vizslas shed like crazy too...its just shorter, darker fur. We have two breeds currently that do not shed (Tibetan and soft coated Wheaten), both of which are pretty mellow dogs in our experience.

The website is hoaxslayer... and refers to the story that accompanies the pictures... "Feeding the Eagles".
Feeding the Eagles

The page shows pictures of an eagle feeding station in Homer Alaska. The pictures are amazing, including a short video.

We live 15 miles from Starved Rock in Illinois, which is a favorite Eagle Nesting/Spotting area, but even on the best days, it's rare to see more than 6 or 7 eagles soaring around the cliffs, although there have been more. Here's a pic from last year.

img_1256947_0_5f421e0ea44dc97c878bc99fd7feab86.jpg

We have eagles around our retirement community in Florida, too, but usually no more than two pair, as they are very territorial.

Last edited:
They have French bulldogs on that list. They seem fairly hyper when I see them at the dog park...

Well, it's Animal Planet. If you really want a mellow pet, my advice is to adopt a male orange tabby cat;)

Purron said:
If you really want a mellow pet, my advice is to adopt a male orange tabby cat;)

There is, in my extensive experience, no single finer piece of advice about pet ownership than this sentence. The male orange tabby cat is 100% guaranteed. Every one I've ever known was awesome.

Hmmmm....I just got on the plane in SFO, so I'll check out animal planet later. I'm hoping for a dog that will run with me, but not be hyper in the house, doesn't shed much, barks when bad people come around but not when good people come around, look regal, fetch my slippers, etc. maybe I'm asking too much:confused::)

I'd like to get a kitty as well, but I want one that will spend some time outdoors and do a little mouse control on our two acres, but still come in and cuddle on our lap when we are indoors. I'm guessing that Morris doesn't fit that role very well. Suggestions? We used to have a calico when I was a kid that was a great mouser, but not overly friendly, and a black cat that was a pretty good mouser, and super friendly. The blackie loved to bring us her prey as a present...

R

Hmmmm....I just got on the plane in SFO, so I'll check out animal planet later. I'm hoping for a dog that will run with me, but not be hyper in the house, doesn't shed much, barks when bad people come around but not when good people come around, look regal, fetch my slippers, etc. maybe I'm asking too much:confused::)
Get a Border collie......then you'll have a chess partner when the weather's bad. ;)

Nemo2 said:
Get a Border collie......then you'll have a chess partner when the weather's bad. ;)

Bad, bad, bad! :)
I think an orange cat is still your best bet on the cat front, but don't get a border collie unless you know what you're getting into! :)

R

2010 4th of July 015.JPG

This is Cooper Chow and something small mix. Mellow, but a great watchdog, loves people, can run 8 miles a day with ya, and doesn't mind dressing up for the Doo-Dah parade. Will fetch anything that looks like a plush toy caterpillar. Sorry he is taken.

Back
Top Bottom