Animals we share our lives with

In loving memory of Cali. A wonderful cat DH and I fostered for 3 years. She was a true special needs kitty. Twelve years old when she was adopted and a diabetic. A wonderful couple adopted her and gave her a loving home. We've stayed in touch with them all these years. She recently passed away at the age of about 19. Miss you Miss Cali. You were sure something special.:'(

Attachments

• Cali.gif
    Cali.gif
    28.1 KB · Views: 258
In loving memory of Cali. A wonderful cat DH and I fostered for 3 years. She was a true special needs kitty. Twelve years old when she was adopted and a diabetic. A wonderful couple adopted her and gave her a loving home. We've stayed in touch with them all these years. She recently passed away at the age of about 19. Miss you Miss Cali. You were sure something special.:'(
I'm sorry to hear that Purron, but happy that Cali had loving homes in her later years.

You and the adopting couple are truly blessed to have a wonderful cat like Cali in your life.

I've posted pictures of my 2 kitties before, but this is a new one I took yesterday morning, the same day that I received more information from the foster agency about this one's history. I now know which intersection she was found at, and the name of the wonderful man who was feeding about 30 ferals at this location. This 10 year-old cat wasn't feral, and was having a really bad time on the street, being shy and unable to defend herself. She was terribly shy when she first came to me, and spent her entire first month here under the bed.

Look at her now though. She is relaxed and happy. Every time I think of where she came from and look at her to see how content she is now, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

original.jpg

Thanks everyone. Seeing her transformation from being in a locked down state of fear and shyness to the happy kitty she is now has been so rewarding. She is still shy, but she's now relaxed and acts as if she belongs here. I think she has found her place in the world again. She sleeps all day in the bay window, and plays all night with my 8 month-old kitten.

The lady who visits the feral population in this area works for a TNR program (trap neuter release). She noticed that this senior cat wasn't feral and didn't really fit in with the others. She was so out of place on the streets. Word was that an old man in the neighborhood had moved or passed away, shortly after which my kitty and 2 others (who it was thought were siblings) showed up.

She is a complete sweetie. Every time she chirps at me and stretches her paws out in front of her in readiness for a petting session, it just fills my heart :smitten:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Seeing her transformation from being in a locked down state of fear and shyness to the happy kitty she is now has been so rewarding. She is still shy, but she's now relaxed and acts as if she belongs here. I think she has found her place in the world again. She sleeps all day in the bay window, and plays all night with my 8 month-old kitten.

The lady who visits the feral population in this area works for a TNR program (trap neuter release) and she noticed that this senior cat wasn't feral and didn't really fit in with the others. She was so out of place on the streets.

She is a complete sweetie. Every time she chirps at me and stretches her paws out in front of her in readiness for a petting session, it just fills my heart :smitten:

Our recent addition is also really shy... this is not what the rescue people said, but so be it...

He was under the bed for a week... we did put food and litter box in there for him, and he did venture out for those....

Now, he and our other cat play chase, wrestle etc. etc.... he will sit on the cat tree looking out the window... he seems to be happy... but, he is still a 'scardy cat'.... he will run away if you try to pick him up.. I hope he gets over it because in many other ways he is a great cat... either way, at least both our cats love being with each other, so that is a good thing...

I've posted pictures of my 2 kitties before, but this is a new one I took yesterday morning, the same day that I received more information from the foster agency about this one's history. I now know which intersection she was found at, and the name of the wonderful man who was feeding about 30 ferals at this location. This 10 year-old cat wasn't feral, and was having a really bad time on the street, being shy and unable to defend herself. She was terribly shy when she first came to me, and spent her entire first month here under the bed.

Look at her now though. She is relaxed and happy. Every time I think of where she came from and look at her to see how content she is now, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

original.jpg

Awww, so gorgeous and lucky to have found you!

Our recent addition is also really shy... this is not what the rescue people said, but so be it...

He was under the bed for a week... we did put food and litter box in there for him, and he did venture out for those....

Now, he and our other cat play chase, wrestle etc. etc.... he will sit on the cat tree looking out the window... he seems to be happy... but, he is still a 'scardy cat'.... he will run away if you try to pick him up.. I hope he gets over it because in many other ways he is a great cat... either way, at least both our cats love being with each other, so that is a good thing...
I think that shelters are sometimes a bit optimistic with their descriptions of a cat's character. With shy cats, you never really know what you're getting until you get them home and give them a chance to decompress and open up. The shelter can be an alarming experience for them, with all those other animals making noise, and strangers parading past poking their fingers in the cages. In my local shelter there is no privacy in the cages either, which goes against the grain for many cats.

How long have you had him? My cat was under the bed for a whole month, and has progressed slowly but surely. When I introduced a kitten to the mix, she protested by peeing on the sofa, but the passage of time cured that, as well as a few changes in the arrangement of litter boxes, feeding area etc. I also purchased a Feliway plug-in diffuser which fills the room with cat pheromones, and has really helped calm her down.

The fact that he enjoys the company of your other cat is a very good sign. It's great to see cats playing with each other. Mine play at night, so I wake up to the sound of thumping, running, meowing, and toys jingling etc every morning!

Smokey here is a feral cat, rescued when she was very, very, young. She has lived with us for 12 years, she has never given up some of her wild ways.

Smokey on chair.jpg

Smokey here is a feral cat, rescued when she was very, very, young. She has lived with us for 12 years, she has never given up some of her wild ways.

View attachment 15863

Looks like our Shadow.... ours was a rescue, but never wild... She has become a nice lap cat and is VERY tame... I am surprised what my daughter can do to her without any protest... if I see her giving any signs the cat is not enjoying it, I will tell DD to let her go....

I think that shelters are sometimes a bit optimistic with their descriptions of a cat's character. With shy cats, you never really know what you're getting until you get them home and give them a chance to decompress and open up. The shelter can be an alarming experience for them, with all those other animals making noise, and strangers parading past poking their fingers in the cages. In my local shelter there is no privacy in the cages either, which goes against the grain for many cats.

How long have you had him? My cat was under the bed for a whole month, and has progressed slowly but surely. When I introduced a kitten to the mix, she protested by peeing on the sofa, but the passage of time cured that, as well as a few changes in the arrangement of litter boxes, feeding area etc. I also purchased a Feliway plug-in diffuser which fills the room with cat pheromones, and has really helped calm her down.

The fact that he enjoys the company of your other cat is a very good sign. It's great to see cats playing with each other. Mine play at night, so I wake up to the sound of thumping, running, meowing, and toys jingling etc every morning!

He was being taken care of by a foster family, so not as bad an most shelters...

We have had him a month.... my DW has gotten him into the bedroom even though I had a not cat in the bedroom policy... the guy burned his foot on our stove.... we have a glass top and it can be very hot even after turned off... we noticed him limping and then saw the burn... so my wife wanted to prevent him from roaming around when we put on the cream.... so he does like to sleep at the bottom of our bed and is a big purrrr box....

My wife will pick him up when she is preparing their food... he comes around her legs and will allow her to pick him up... DW says she has to train him... I think he will eventually come around as he was on the couch when I was watching football this weekend...

Yes, it is great to see them playing... as you said, thumping and running all over the place... so even if he is always shy, he and our other cat are great together and that is enough for me....

My little guy is "Yates." He's definitely a little charmer.

Attachments

• image-4101949044.jpg
    image-4101949044.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 2

original.jpg

She is beautiful. So are you.

View attachment 15863

Love how many cat lovers we have here. Smokey is very fortunate to have found you grasshopper. And we are very fortunate to have you as a member.

I'm saddened by the lack of praise for the devoted squirrel lovers who post here. Those members deserve equal time and praise given dog and cat people.

Squirrel lovers unite! Stand up and defend your rights! :)

I'm saddened by the lack of praise for the devoted squirrel lovers who post here. Those members deserve equal time and praise given dog and cat people.

Squirrel lovers unite! Stand up and defend your rights! :)

I had no idea you were a squirrel advocate. Go for it baby. ;)

Back
Top Bottom