Animals we share our lives with

Yep, Missy Moo was second place, but we laughed until we cried about naming a dog Kitty. Having a friend over and calling "Here Kitty!" is a riot.

Was going to get two dogs and name them "sit" and "fetch." Play with that for a while!! "Sit"...fetch!

Not the first to think of it... but it is a riot...

I knew someone when I was young... named their dog 'Cat' and their cat "Dog"... always got a response from someone who did not know....

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407852566.700580.jpg
Scruffy, just finished at the groomers.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Poppi got a haircut, and groomer couldn't resist the "decorations." She looks awfully cute.

Attachments

• PoppiByLuz071614.jpg
    PoppiByLuz071614.jpg
    573.1 KB · Views: 17
More dogs
The late and very great Violet. Gone now 4 years and still missed daily best dog ever. I really loved this dog she was a great dog and friend
img_1481578_0_2bca229d1256544f6d71e5e01240f08f.jpg

The new dog now 2 years with us. She is a rescue off the streets of Taiwan, we met her for the first time in the SFO airport after she was flow here. She had been abused somehow (we don't know how) and has a number of nasty scars to prove it (one that is 1 1/2" wide and extends from her left shoulder to her right hip). But she hit the jackpot when DW saw her story and was moved (and wanted another dog). She was a lot of work initially (not house trained, had aggression issues with other dogs in particular among the worst problems) but I must admit she is becoming a pretty good girl these days. And she is a very pretty dog and can be extremely cute at times.
This is Little Bean (her Chinese name) The picture is the first or second day we had her she's filled out and become quite muscular/athletic with the 2 a day she gets now
img_1481578_1_0d003de96155eb1242802467f46a430f.jpg

I knew a guy in college who named his dog "Dammit" as in "Stop that, dammit".

Eventually the dog responded better to that than his name so it stuck.

Toby

Toby after two months from rescue. He is 9.5 pounds and very playful. Loves to eat and crys like a baby when DW leaves the house. Me? I can go and he doesn't seem to care.

We are not sure of his lineage. We think he has some Terrier in him but he won't be any bigger than 10 pounds.

Toby 2.jpg

He is so cute! Yes, he looks like a kind of terrier. We have a rat terrier, and they are great companions.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

My dog Chase combining two of her favourite things - swimming and fetching sticks!

1973987_10154510567385274_8436805031183679386_o.jpg

Not mine, but a friend's cat named Rosa. He calls her a "shameless hussy" because anyone who will give a belly rub is her new best friend.

That poor string didn't have a chance.

Attachments

• Rosa.jpg
    Rosa.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 19
My MIL's pup. We take her on weekends to get her excursive. This was at cabin.......................

Yesterday was a great day at our camp. Labor day is usually the last big attendance day at Woodhaven, so yesterday 9/15, was very quiet, with maybe 150 campers out of the 6000 sites, and no one at all on our lake. The animals have taken back their habitat, and I woke this AM to see a deer outside my window. yesterday, just sitting down by the lake, saw about 15 species of birds, including four different kinds of woodpecker at the suet feeder. The great blue heron has taken up the corner of my seawall as his fishing spot. The geese are beginning their training flights... Vee's... running the length of the lake. Five flocks on our lake. Groundhog bumbling around the driveway ditch pipe and for the first time in three years, the chipmonks are back....Probably because our neighbors had the raccoon trapped, after a pair destroyed $1500 of A'C ducts.
He broke into my storage bin on the deck and took 20 packs of suet. Name was "Rocky"...
The big "hit" was the humming birds. Neighbors must have taken in their feeders, as I was inundated with a flock of 6 to 8... can't tell, 'cuz they're too fast. I filled the feeder yesterday morning, and by this morning, they had sipped about a half cup of sugar water. (Usually takes about two weeks to drink that much.) there were times when there were six birds fighting for space at the same time. They started this AM at about 5 o'clock, and I remembered I had an old camera with me, so took a short, 1 min. video... still kinda dark, but viewable.
I took some stills from outside. The little guys were so excited, they ignored me being there... 3 feet from the feeder, and one, actually landed on my shoulder before zipping away.
All in all a wonderful start to a great fall season. On the way home... more deer three small herds. The corn looks great... 7 to 8 ft tall, and the soybeans are the best in years... Thousands of acres of gold. Harvest should start this week. Rural North Central Illinois... Sublette.

Last edited:
We have a great blue heron, that fishes from my property. This is the third year that we've had a great blue that stayed for the summer. This morning, as I was talking to my neighbor at the edge of the lake, Harry (that's my name for the heron) zoomed in and began fishing, about 20 feet away from us. A minute later, a Great Egret (very rare for us) swooped down and landed about 3 feet away from Harry. The next part was just amazing to us. They both took off together and flew around the lake, landing on the same properties, and perching on the same trees.
They flew in a perfect formation, about 10 feet apart, swooping and gliding together. A great experience for us, watching them, kinda like the Blue Angels...:)
The second fun part of today, was an hour later, when three deer came down on my lot, to take a drink.

Attachments

• syncronized-flight-team-02.jpg
    syncronized-flight-team-02.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 26
Taz is persistent when seeking attention. If sitting or laying in front of the monitor doesn't work, walking across the keyboard does. Adopted from local Humane Society 2/14/09.

Attachments

• Taz.jpg
    Taz.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 17
A pine marten (I think) ran full speed into our sliding glass window. Lena jumped out of her skin. He left a big smear of saliva.

I saw him walk away. He looked a lot like an otter, but fluffier. Like this, but I didn't see the white under his neck.

PineMarten-1010.jpg

Here is one...

This is an outside cat that my wife decided to feed..... (we started to feed it since we thought it was someones lost cat... but it is not) along with our opposum that lives in the back yard somewhere... son took the pic... said they were both eating out of the same bowl for about 5 minutes...

Attachments

• IMG_20150122_211206.jpg
    IMG_20150122_211206.jpg
    645.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20150122_211621.jpg
    IMG_20150122_211621.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1423321490.843161.jpg

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1423321594.228692.jpg

The first one is Buddy, I named him after John Travolta's character "Bud" from Urban Cowboy. He was found by my DW on a 6 lane highway as a newborn. he is 4.

The second is a stepchild of mine PeeShee, bought to the relationship by the DW. She was adopted from a shelter. She is a rag doll and weighs 16 lbs, and that is how big she is supposed to be. Her furr on the bottom of her belly feels like bunny hair, she's a great napper. she is 15.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

For those who may follow the Decorah Eagles, #4 from last year was electrocuted... She was the last of the 2014 hatch.
As of now, there are three eggs in this year's nest. Still has snow.
You can watch the current nest, day and night, here...
Decorah Eagles, Ustream.TV: We are sorry to report that the 2014 juvie known as Four was electrocuted. Details can be found in this RRP Blog. And now ...
This years' hatch is expected late in March.

The free signup offers a chat, and access to the blog. Links to last years hatching, and things like the night time raccon attack are also on the site.

Last edited:
Cute dog that went on our canoeing trip yesterday!

Attachments

• DSC02092.jpg
    DSC02092.jpg
    843.2 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom