Animals we share our lives with

Thanks, we think so too. We just got back from a 1.5 hour walk, and this "daddy's girl" is curled up on the couch next to me having her morning nap.

She's a pretty girl. I love her pink harness.

It's nice to see this thread turn up again. I always enjoy the photos.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

This is my favorite thread and one day when I figure out how to post photos, I'll post some of my 2 kitties. We adopted them 5 years ago from the local shelter when our last kitty passed at 19.5.

This is Flash. We adopted her from a rescue society on May 10. We are coming to understand that she had experienced some abuse: she's "foot shy" and cried if pressure was put on her collar - hence the harness.
Stories like that just make me so mad and sad. Cannot imagine what your pet had to endure before she came to live with you. I am so happy for her that she found you.

According to the animal shelter where we found our cat, someone found him in a carrier in a ditch. Someone left him there to die or what. He has some behavior issues (biting and scratching) but we know how to not escalate it beyond play biting/scratching.

presenting the leader of the pack... Bella

Attachments

• 10415574_10152813860591891_1361328014181421849_n.jpg
    10415574_10152813860591891_1361328014181421849_n.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 27
This is Flash. We adopted her from a rescue society on May 10. We are coming to understand that she had experienced some abuse: she's "foot shy" and cried if pressure was put on her collar - hence the harness.

We think she is a Husky/German Shepherd Dog cross - temperament and behaviour are classic Husky, but she has a deep chest, heavier muzzle and wider spaced ears more like a GSD.

She is a real sweetheart who has loved everyone we have introduced her to, and their dogs. Our ancient cats intimidate the heck out of her.

She looks exactly like a husky/chow mix I found late one night on the streets of Philadelphia, except he was pure black. His tongue was all black, so I knew he was a chow mix.

Worked the evening shift as a RN.....driving home at midnight through downtown Philly.....pure black dog laying flat next to the curb. I assumed it had been hit and left for dead. I stopped...he struggled to stand, and I urged him to get into my car for safety. He did.....then a vet at University of Penn and I cared for his injuries. I named him Rocky.....of course. We loved each other for the next six years until he died of lymphoma. I still miss him. Always will.

Last edited:

We think she is a Husky/German Shepherd Dog cross - temperament and behaviour are classic Husky, but she has a deep chest, heavier muzzle and wider spaced ears more like a GSD.

She is a real sweetheart who has loved everyone we have introduced her to, and their dogs. Our ancient cats intimidate the heck out of her.

Very nice. Rescues make the best pets. Mine is a rescue.

Speaking of mine........he fractured his hip about a week ago. He loves to roll in the yard and he starts it off by given himself a body slam. He puts his head down, starts a roll with a shoulder and ends up flopping on his back. Then wiggles on his back. Well this time when he ended up on his back he just rolled over and stayed on his belly for a few minutes. When getting up he had difficulty putting weight on his left back leg. Took him to the vet next day and sure enough xray showed a slight fracture. No surgery on that but they did take off a couple of cyst while they had him under doing the xray. Take him back tomorrow to get stitches out. But all in all, he's doing well. The pain med's have worked well and he's not limping anymore. But no long walks this past week, just rest.

Attachments

• 2016-05-15_15-15-04_166.jpg
    2016-05-15_15-15-04_166.jpg
    685.9 KB · Views: 28
Here are my two, both rescues. Brother and sister. They've been with me since a few months old and are now 16. Classic tuxedo and calico.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 25
Any Polydactyls? (I recall reading, years ago, that they are/were common around port areas because 'old time' sailors considered them lucky. I know Hemingway had a number of them.)

This is Squeaky. She showed up here about 18 months ago and has stayed. Friendliest cat I've seen. We think she was only a few months old and probably wandered up from a house down in the valley. There was another cat about the same age that we got glimpses of but hasn't been around for a while. We had her spayed and she gets regular checkups now. She's called Squeaky because she like to talk with us, I think she understands us a lot more than we do her. Our 15 year old cattle dog,Jazzie, is on the floor next to the bed waiting for breakfast.

Last edited:
Speaking of mine........he fractured his hip about a week ago. He loves to roll in the yard and he starts it off by given himself a body slam. He puts his head down, starts a roll with a shoulder and ends up flopping on his back. Then wiggles on his back.

My lab has always done something similar (body slam followed by rolling on his back) but usually just after he has been in the lake. He is over 13 now and doesn't do the body slam as often these days.

Attachments

• IMG_0794.jpg
    IMG_0794.jpg
    537.8 KB · Views: 20
My lab has always done something similar (body slam followed by rolling on his back) but usually just after he has been in the lake. He is over 13 now and doesn't do the body slam as often these days.

Must be a lab thing. Wow....13 is great. Mine is pushing 8 years. Does he have arthritis? I've had mine on Dasuquin for a couple of years. He has hip dysplasia in one.

Must be a lab thing. Wow....13 is great. Mine is pushing 8 years. Does he have arthritis? I've had mine on Dasuquin for a couple of years. He has hip dysplasia in one.

Coal has never had hip problems or arthritis other than an issue with one front leg - sometimes develops a sprain/strain from jumping or chasing a tennis ball too aggressively. Although he still gets on the bed/couch, I expected he would not want to jump at his age as my previous lab stopped getting on the bed when he was around ten years old.

Other than slowing down a lot in the last year and having a melanoma removed from his nose last fall, Coal is holding up fairly well for an old guy. Of course, I know his time is getting short.

Any Polydactyls? (I recall reading, years ago, that they are/were common around port areas because 'old time' sailors considered them lucky. I know Hemingway had a number of them.)

Surplus is a polydactyl, extra toes are surplus. He is 19 or 20lbs lap cat.

Surplus is a polydactyl, extra toes are surplus. He is 19 or 20lbs lap cat.

Wow, he's a biggie.....Maine Coon?

Great name choice!

(Back in the late 1970s, our sales group had a meeting at the sales manager's house....she had a cat around that size, and, since we were all sitting out in the garden, brought him outside in his harness......she had one of the corkscrew type poles to hook it to......he looked at it, braced himself, started moving forwards...and pulled it right out of the ground.)

Last edited:
Here are my two, both rescues. Brother and sister. They've been with me since a few months old and are now 16. Classic tuxedo and calico.
We had 2 brothers. The tabby was killed 18 months ago. The tuxedo is still going strong at 18.

Attachments

• BootsLounge.jpg
    BootsLounge.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Another shot of my youngest, who just turned 4. She was gazing up at a daddy longlegs on the window. You can see her left back leg sticking out at a slightly awkward angle. She was 5 months old, and living on the street when we found her. The vet said that her little leg had broken and reset - possibly all without any help or intervention from anyone. She was hiding in a truck engine for warmth one chilly morning when found, so perhaps that's how the injury occurred. The break happened at the point where the ball at the end of the femur attaches to the femur and because of that, the vet said it would be difficult to pin if they were to attempt to break and reset it.

She was limping quite noticeably when we met her (the cat, not the vet), but the limp has now disappeared. Her little leg still sticks out at a slightly odd angle, especially when she sits up. It doesn't seem to have caused her any problems so far, although when she sits up, her entire body curves to one side a bit. Perhaps when she's older, she'll have some skeletomuscular issues. I hope they won't be too severe. We are very bonded. I can't even begin to put into words how much love I feel for her.

original.jpg

This is my 10 year old girl Dusty the labradoodle....
Drove to Lancaster and bought her from an Amish guy - best thing we ever did...
70lbs of snuggles...only regret is I wish I bought two.

P.s. She's on the couch next to me right now snoring..

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1463442504.798701.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
We had 2 brothers. The tabby was killed 18 months ago. The tuxedo is still going strong at 18.
and then he was no longer. Boots was sent over The Rainbow Bridge today at 3 pm. He was my buddy, called him my puppy because he was always nearby. :(

and then he was no longer. Boots was sent over The Rainbow Bridge today at 3 pm. He was my buddy, called him my puppy because he was always nearby. :(

Bummer - losing pets is like chopping off a piece of your life....so sorry.

Our Irish Wolfhound Pack

Wynter is 9 months, Dash is just over one year. Isabeau, the blonde beauty is pushing 12 years old, very, very old for this breed.

Attachments

• Wynter Portrait.jpg
    Wynter Portrait.jpg
    757.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Dash Portrait.jpg
    Dash Portrait.jpg
    782.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_0057.jpg
    DSC_0057.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 15
Here's a neighbor's cat, spying on us over the fence. He's shy and will not come down to us despite our coaxing. Have not seen him recently, and miss him.

This is my old lady :) who very often gets mistaken for puppy :LOL:
Her name is Phoebe and she will be 13 in August

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom