Animals we share our lives with

Robbie: we have not done the dNA either but the rescue where my son got the dog thought he was half/half but looks just like your Juno. Your other dog is adorable too. WE have 3 maltese and needed another dog like a hole in the head. "I say kids-the gift that keeps on taking:))" After having the big guy now we adore him and would never give him back.

Here's a good one for the dog DNA guessers...Biscuit is about 20 lbs, so I call her a giant Pomeranian.
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1473899292.033226.jpg

Nemo, you are right--she does have the ears and the silky coat of a Papillon, to my mind, but she's so much bigger than any I've seen.

Sitting on the bench adjacent to a beach shower, DW ran the water so that the Monk parakeets could come and drink at our feet.

Pic's not so great since they moved around a lot, but we enjoyed the experience, and they appreciated the water:

34hx7rc.jpg

Nice dogs!!

Nice dogs!!

Thanks. Cabot is a bit of a celebrity. If you Google "Border Collies 101" he is in the thumbnail. He has 3 seconds of fame in the Animal Planet show, they filmed most of it at a breeders home that we adopted him from when he was 2. He is 9 now.

img_1797849_0_6fdf52b567c486d9737e9336001caed1.jpg

Love Borders! Mine, (now sadly departed), was one of the zillions of offspring from Wiston Cap, (had a couple/three other champions in the mix too)......he was a big Border, 70 lbs, no fat, and I used to tell people he could file our tax returns.

I sure miss him.......enjoy your guys while you can.

My last dog was a border collie mix, she was a good girl and lived to 14.

4794612775_bca3463c27.jpg

I think I lasted a whole 5 months before I went to the shelter and adopted Lucy.

Borders are the best. We've had 3. Rhys (the other one pictured above) was listed on a rescue site (we have always adopted/rescued our dogs as opposed to buying from breeders) as a Border, probably based on her coloring. She was picked up off the street in Arkansas. We had her maybe 24 hours and remarked "Nope. No Border in this one.'. But she's a goofy little dog and has fit in to out family fine. Wow, 70lbs is big for a Border. Cabot is around 48, in great shape for his age and still "gets air" catching frisbees.

Here's a pic of mine, from post #518 of this thread.

2lau1qs.jpg

He was big, un-neutered, (we bred him a couple times), and easy going.....never once started a fight...although he ended a few.

I think I lasted a whole 5 months before I went to the shelter and adopted Lucy.

Yep. We have always liked to have 2, separated by 5-7 years. We have gotten 14-16 years out of our Borders. When we lost our second years ago after buying a new house my DW said "I think I can do without the fur..." She lasted not 3 months and said "I just can't come home and not see wagging tails anymore....."

I know our two will enjoy the additional human time when I ER at the end of the year. They are both great hikers and love the outdoors....

One of my favorite sayings is "God, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am."

Yes, I truly believe that once you have lived with dogs, you are forever committed to living with dogs.

The pain of their passing is intense but it lessens and the pain of not having a dog increases until you just hop in the car and go to the shelter to save another one (as well as yourself) for as we all know;

Who rescued who?

True. I think you are either a dog person or you're not. And the last thing I ever want to do is try to convince someone who is not, to adopt one. But I know very, very few people who have had dogs in the past who don't still do. My wife and I call them our "fur kids" now...

Bummer......I know how bad you must feel.....so sad.

Yep. We had to let one go on Saturday; the other was in August.
These guys were littermates, and both were around 13-1/2
years old. We had many good years with them.

We've had 3-4 beagles for years, and now we're down to one.
She is wondering what's going on.

Yes, I truly believe that once you have lived with dogs, you are forever committed to living with dogs.

The pain of their passing is intense but it lessens and the pain of not having a dog increases until you just hop in the car and go to the shelter to save another one (as well as yourself) for as we all know;

Who rescued who?

Very true. I got my first dog(excluding childhood) in my late 40's. A golden retriever. What a great dog. Loved to retrieve.

My current dog is a lab mix. He was 13 months old when I adopted him, now 8 years old. I'm sure I will adopt another when he is gone but hope he's around for a while.

Yep. We had to let one go on Saturday; the other was in August.
These guys were littermates, and both were around 13-1/2
years old. We had many good years with them.

We've had 3-4 beagles for years, and now we're down to one.
She is wondering what's going on.

That is one of the reasons why we like having two with a 5-7 year overlap in age. When one goes, you still have a middle aged adult and you can bring a new young one in, fill the void and the missing companionship. Separated by a broad age, at least at first, there is no question who is the alpha dog, and watching them work things out, build a friendship is the best. Sorry for your loss, that is the price we pay for all those great years. Give another homeless dog a great home if you are so inclined and fill the void....

Very true. I got my first dog(excluding childhood) in my late 40's. A golden retriever. What a great dog. Loved to retrieve.

My current dog is a lab mix. He was 13 months old when I adopted him, now 8 years old. I'm sure I will adopt another when he is gone but hope he's around for a while.

Both are beauties!

Shared a brief moment with these guys as we wandered around the north end of Malaga this morning:

34q9so5.jpg

Looks like they are saying: "Help! Let us out!"
There was a small dog barking at them from an adjacent balcony......I think the cat might have eaten it given the chance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom