Animals we share our lives with

IMG_3299.JPG

We lost our 2 old boy beagles in 2016, and so we just added a new guy to our family. Our little female likes him, and he's made things happier around here.

I just read the other day that "pets, dogs in particular, figure prominently in the lives of the happily retired."

On the back deck yesterday. The hawks come to the bird feeder to feed on the birds and sometimes land on the deck but then get confused by the glass railing. They are pretty intelligent and will step onto the oven rack and then allow themselves to be lifted over the rail edge before flying off.

bKk47ND8G0X5IplcDi9y-kBsNLx-lx-Z_LTUe4jHshP6cnDLigeXPlo1GoltYm2Krp-h-uTeISc42a1fbsnJu-0gbWvXFIUfndDfnR-13Q4K0rJFfi0CDoz7j1GD9j3wEKXV9tEsyncvyFDPyRXIXmWA4gK9oFYpzwcOx7gg7SRUcLWA-5quXEBLtQQmHux_7P3d93RCRzOyRoA8d-Rj-qGrnsQbblQ32lQmhTZAeYy73Mc9rc8OjooQokODB2K7cO12pl_hG69TaouYFm0Ob4Iu_F1hYgdch-_JGzEQCnkCqMDhXYELAknWGWcEvot0bFMm2v8RlRpgsBn5rrsDWBw7pmvDKoZZqlIyVIPXSQlFWfP1LUUynGAh7qMncDnOqjW_Ppz3JFVDR0_Ga-HxH6NV9R8_KCI5E24vwW5oOBn84_7GLt4AgppUNKIu071R81DOc47el2KT04sqYRSOh7YMpcjwOicT-Dy3cWBMIWmQetRRXv2rrpoAgDmHhG0c3dWJD7PuX5mY9QB7GdJPhhqzufdnZvWeISeT4sMkLXp8B3eYyt-E-c6PEsAA6HVxicAVVyXv6aZxIgrUyhSoi7S8glLBdwe1i7PTWMmHHEiDgfFKcwsjQfqkgcAZAbNGy74iaN2cuxaR7hxwGUHSOMvojIMXPYzSeMYYjjXc9llEp0FpbSfOmzbxo9CB2Crn1PvQSp8JYmF8S4iQ0JiPIztx_zI=w2560-h1232-l75-ft

Last edited:
I got this shot of my brother-in-law's dog in Sweden:

nJumycW.jpg

I was lucky to get him to stay still and in that pose.

He was a nice dog, but so focused on his toys, food, and rough-housing that you couldn't really interact with him.

Three years ago, our big male rottweiler was dognapped. In the meantime, my daughter replaced him with Xena, a female rottie puppy. Five months later, Hank escaped and came home--skinny but in okay condition.

We lost Hank to cancer before Christmas. My daughter has been dogsitting a pit bull of the highest breeding, so she sent us Xena to separate the dogs. The pit's owner laft town and hasn't come back in town. I understand the pit's going to be picked up this weekend which means Xena's going back home. We'll miss her, but she comes over all the time to visit.

This may have been posted already, but a thoroughly enjoyable website, with live webcams for the Decorah Eagles, Florida Alligators, Perigrine Falcons, and Owls and many other animals.

http://explore.org/live-cams/player/decorah-eagles-north-nest

Great Horned Owl Cam - live owl camera from Montana | Explore.org

All are accessible on this site. When you click on the webcam, the live picture comes up, but you can control the video, to look back over activities for hours. For instance, on the eagle site, you can look back and watch the eagles fly in to change places on the nested eggs, to see prey being brought in for food, and potential threats by other animals.

Last edited:
Here is a picture that was taken yesterday of our brood (minus the cat that had no desire to join picture day). Sadly, the one in the middle crossed over the Rainbow Bridge yesterday afternoon after 15.5 years on this earth. His last day was made as special as it could have been and his suffering is now over, but I'm afraid our suffering will carry on for quite a while. :(

Attachments

• Pups.jpg
    Pups.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 67
Here is a picture that was taken yesterday of our brood (minus the cat that had no desire to join picture day). Sadly, the one in the middle crossed over the Rainbow Bridge yesterday afternoon after 15.5 years on this earth. His last day was made as special as it could have been and his suffering is now over, but I'm afraid our suffering will carry on for quite a while. :(

I am so sorry for your loss. The more we love them, the more it hurts when they are gone. He was lucky to be a part of your family, and he was clearly well-loved all of his life. Rest in peace, little fellow.

When DW and I started 'cohabitation' she wanted a cat. I wanted no part of such nonsense.

So we compromised and got two cats. When they became elderly we got a backup cat.

After returning to the two cat equilibrium and following years of strenuously insisting that ours was a two animal limit household, THEY got a Great Dane. Our two cats were horrified by the intruder so my son brought home a stray cat to bolster their ranks.

Of course I bonded with the dog (since passed on) and the stray sleeps next to me each night.

Last edited:
Pilops n Paws

The dogs in our life are just there for a short time, as we take them to their new forever homes.
Here is what we flew so far this year:
Belgian Malinois rescued from Tijuana
2 Yorkies
2 German Shepherds also rescued from Tijuana
Doberman
2 Chihuahuas
Golden retriever
Herding dog
I have an IATA 400 crate that just fits in the plane that I use

My late Border Collie having found a Valentine's flower for my late wife...(taken in Malibu in the mid 1990s):

141sjfd.jpg

Hah!

When DW and I started 'cohabitation' she wanted a cat. I wanted no part of such nonsense.

So we compromised and got two cats. When they became elderly we got a backup cat.

After returning to the two cat equilibrium and following years of strenuously insisting that ours was a two animal limit household, THEY got a Great Dane. Our two cats were horrified by the intruder so my son brought home a stray cat to bolster their ranks.

Of course I bonded with the dog (since passed on) and the stray sleeps next to me each night.

Thanks for your post! I have not laughed that hard in a while...:2funny:

This is our cute Pomeranian, Gilbert. He’s a little energetic critter who loves to play with his dog toys, chew on his doggy treats, and happily howl in the morning as a warm greeting to us. He may be a bit naughty at times, but he’s a loyal companion, overall.

3.jpg

Our First Granddog!

Daughter Jenny just got this rescue dog (Name: Bacon):

SKGdY88.jpg

He's bigger than he looks in that photo.

BATC4Ov.jpg

What kind of breeds do you think contributed to his DNA?

Daughter Jenny just got this rescue dog (Name: Bacon):

SKGdY88.jpg

He's bigger than he looks in that photo.

BATC4Ov.jpg

What kind of breeds do you think contributed to his DNA?

I would think there is some Irish Terrier, head looks like an IT, coat is pretty thick, tail is longer than an IT so maybe some shepherd in there. This is a good one! Good looking dog either way.
Is the coat soft or wire like?

I would think there is some Irish Terrier, head looks like an IT, coat is pretty thick, tail is longer than an IT so maybe some shepherd in there. This is a good one! Good looking dog either way.

Is the coat soft or wire like?

I was thinking Airdale / Shepard, but IT/Shepard works too.

Enjoy the new GrandDog Al.

OK... did not want to start a thread just for this... so I will add it here...

On Sun morn I was sitting on the couch watching the morning talk shows... I heard some scratching and other noises coming from the dining room... ignored it as I figured it was one of the cats... but, the noise of something running back and forth got me worried about one of the cats...

So, I get up and yell for Sunny to stop doing what he was doing... I was in the opening between the living room and front hall which leads to the dining room.... and I hear the scratching above me.... my thought... how in the heck did Sunny get there? So I yell for Sunny to stop what he is doing and then open the door to tell DW something was happening... well, looking up at me was Sunny!!! He was wondering why I was yelling at him... he hears the rustling above also and is now jumping up to investigate... our second cat hears the commotion and also comes to follow the goings on above....

Now, this is BETWEEN the first and second floor, not in the attic... DW wakes up and is asking what is happening... I say some animal has gotten between our floors and cannot get out :facepalm:.... She says 'what are we going to do? I do not want a dead animal in the house'.... neither do I... So, I know that a friend has had this happen to him before, but it was his attic... but it is too early to call so I decide to look up people who get critters out of a house... I find a few, but they do not do anything on Sun....

I have to go tell DW we have to live with this until Mon.... when I go downstairs the cats are still moving around and staring at the ceiling trying to find their prey.... what do I hear? The animal is falling inside the wall!!! It is making a huge racket, and the built in furniture seems to amplify the sound... DW does not like the news and also the comment that we will now have to cut a hole in the wall to get the bugger out...

I have failed to mention that this sounds like a larger animal, so I am thinking opossum or maybe even a racoon..... and it being in the wall means it is there.... no way to climb out.... the noise has stopped.... nothing seems to be happening for more than 15 minutes..... but then I hear the racket again and it is going up.... yep, it has climbed back up into the space between the floors again... and running back and forth from one side of the house to the other....

I decide to go outside and see if I can find if there is a hole that they have chewed through the roof (this has happened with one of my sisters).... I look all around and see nothing... so I decide to go back inside and wait it out.....

While walking back I hear a metal clanking noise above me.... what the heck... well, out of a covered vent pops a squirrel!!!! It is making a bee line away from that vent....

WHEW....

While walking back I hear a metal clanking noise above me.... what the heck... well, out of a covered vent pops a squirrel!!!! It is making a bee line away from that vent....

WHEW....

I have had both squirrels and raccoons in the attic. Raccoons are the pits. If they are in your attic it’s usually the female after she has had her “date”, and she is looking for a place to have her babies. Yikes! It’s bad enough having A animal up there. I don’t want a whole colony!!

LOL, great story, Texas.

And your sister must have one strong set of chompers!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom