Animals we share our lives with

Purron & Sarah, I hear you! People are so stupid when it comes to animals. I have a t-shirt that says, "We got rid of the children, the cat was allergic".

I watch Craigslist also, and it's amazing how people deal with animals. Stuff like, "need to find a home for 5-month-old kitten, as we are moving [having a baby, whatever]. You didn't forsee these things 3 or less months ago :confused: Makes me crazy.

Here's my pirate cat, Murphy. She lost an eye to a malignant tumor 2 years ago. She's 13, and keeps us entertained!

Over the years I've learned calicos are almost always crazy little things and orange tabby boys are amost always sweet old souls. I love 'em all:flowers:

That has been my anecdotal observation over the years.

I watch Craigslist also, and it's amazing how people deal with animals. Stuff like, "need to find a home for 5-month-old kitten, as we are moving [having a baby, whatever]". You didn't forsee these things 3 or less months ago :confused: Makes me crazy.
Especially true in Mexico where many view animals as possessions. There is a big gringo rescue operation because of that (no, the gringos rescue the unwanted animals). Many return north with their new owners.

(Then there are the bunnies available free after Easter.)

cj!

Love your Murphy! Many years ago had a one eyed Basset Hound due to glaucoma.

Every day when my neighbor goes to work, her indoor cat comes over to my place and spends the day with me. When she goes over to her boyfriend's to stay the night, I get a sleepover. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Truffles:

132114940.jpg

Aww, Major Tom - that sounds like a great deal for everyone! Truffles is a cutie. :)

You're essentially catsitting? But what a doll! The owner must love you...as well as the kitty. My son did that for someone, too, when he was in university.

Truffles is a very lucky little lady. Reminds me of this dilute calico kitty I fostered for a long time (3 years!). She had diabetes and was adopted about 6 years ago by a couple who had recently lost their diabetic cat. Get a picture of her every year at Christmas.

Attachments

• Cali.gif
    Cali.gif
    28.1 KB · Views: 208
I am "catsitting" for the neighbors too. Their poor cat is locked outside no matter how low the temperature goes:mad:. I talked to the neighbor about the situation but he showed no concern about it. "Oh well, he's an outdoor cat"... Makes me mad.

He's always starving for food and attention so I feed him and pet him. I also provide him with a bit of shelter from the cold. But I can't invite him in unfortunately. Our own indoors cats wouldn't tolerate it. I'll try to catch a picture of him. He is only 4-month old but a really big cat already.

Thanks for the comments on Truffles everyone. Yes, I'm catsitting. Truffles' owner loves it because she doesn't feel guilty when she goes over to her BF's place every week, and I love it because I get to spend time with this rather persistent, very conversational, and downright loveable older lady (she's 13).

Purron - that calico kitty looks adorable!
FD - sorry to hear about your neighbor's indifference, but glad to know that you're helping their cat lead a better life.

Every day when my neighbor goes to work, her indoor cat comes over to my place and spends the day with me. When she goes over to her boyfriend's to stay the night, I get a sleepover. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Truffles:

132114940.jpg

Hi! Nice to meet you, I´m Tina! Mmmmm ...... aren´t you the charmer:smitten:Oh, so it´s a lady.....Well.... She is still is a charmer!

Attachments

• IMG_0163[1].jpg
    IMG_0163[1].jpg
    578 KB · Views: 3
My pet peeve.

http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/policy/cats/materials/predation.pdf

Cats kill millions of birds each year in the US.

Birds love to provoke our own cats. We have a couple of morning doves that land on our window sills, right in front of the cats' noses. They just sit there watching our cats go crazy behind the windowpane. We call our windows "cat TVs". The squirrels, birds, chipmunks, raccoons, possums and other wildlife outside all provide hours of entertainment for our indoors cats. And no one gets hurt.

vicente, bit of trivia for you: all calico cats are female (rare exceptions are sterile males, IIRC). And *almost* all orange tabbies are male.

We don't feed birds in our yard because our cats are indoor/outdoor. It is really all we can do for the unfortunate bird/cat issues.

We have a pug (picture in the link of one of his more dignified moments). Frank likes vegetables, cars, dressing up, and deconstructionist philosophy. He has a low center of gravity and his signature wrestling move is "the plow". He is the most interesting dog in the world and a ladies man^H^H^Hdog.

Your pug is adorable, Jacob! I love your description of him! My collies are more into balancing giant tree limbs on their noses, but I hope to one day explain more lofty intellectual pursuits to them successfully.

Peter, our four-pound dwarf Orange Rex bunny, made it to his 10th birthday. The diuretic seems to be working, although he's slowed down a half-step.

However he's getting very brave in his old age, or maybe it's his bucket list, but this behavior is brand-new. He's been nosing his way past the screen door out onto the back lanai around sunrise, and today he made it into the mulch. He enjoys golden glory, gardenia, geranium, and dwarf mondo-- but zoysia seems to be his favorite.

He's been pretty cautious so far, although I've been practically hovering over him every second he's out there and hoping that he doesn't panic or bolt. He grudgingly listens when I tell him to "Go home", but I know not to push my luck until after he's had at least 10 minutes. I just hope he hears/smells the neighborhood cats and heads back to the door before before they see him.

Attachments

• MYDC0094.JPG
    MYDC0094.JPG
    599 KB · Views: 7
  • MYDC0097.JPG
    MYDC0097.JPG
    776.7 KB · Views: 5
Here's my dog smiling so BIG in the park. He is very happy with his life. Smiling and running around and hugging us all the time! Very affectionate and playful.

Attachments

• Romeo smiling so big.jpg
    Romeo smiling so big.jpg
    755 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom