Animals we share our lives with

Neighbor in BC had a white cockatoo and a dalmatian dog......when outside in the summer the cockie would often either whistle or make a noise like an electric can opener.......either way the dog would come running. :LOL:

These kittens are truly wild, I've been feeding them, but have not tried to catch them. There are plenty of hiding places in the cellar.
I expect that you will eventually earn their trust. I am looking forward to the pics of them on your lap!

Speaking of cats, we returned home from a road trip the other day and discovered that a feral cat had had a litter in our cellar. Ma took off as soon as she saw we were back, have not seen her again, but she left two kittens behind. These kittens are truly wild, I've been feeding them, but have not tried to catch them. There are plenty of hiding places in the cellar.

Taming them sounds like a fun project.

How to Tame Feral Cats

Dawg, Glad to hear that he is okay and that the estimate was high. He is such a pretty dog.

I looked at the picture of the kitties in the cellar and said Ahhhh. I am the person who has 5 cats and still don't know how I got them. They are precious.

Love the bird with the pink finger nail polish. She wanted to look pretty too!

Great outcome but it is making me paranoid. One of our Goldens is addicted to trolling the water in front of our weekend place in a never ending search for minnows. I shudder thinking about the number of hooks lost out there.

RIP Abby

I had to put my shelter kitty, Abby, to sleep today. She stopped eating completely on Saturday and drinking on Sunday morning. The vet took one look in her mouth this morning and saw sores so she knew Abby had kidney failure. I think Abby was about 9 old but it's hard to say since she was brought to the shelter as a stray. We have had her 4.5 years and she lived in FL and OH.

The vet offered to do tests if I wanted but it was obvious Abby wasn't going to get well. They quoted two blood tests, urine test, and the exam for $133 which I thought was very reasonable. There was no pressure. I asked the vet if the tests would tell her anything material she didn't already know and she said "no" so the decision was made. The final cost was $65.

It came on very suddenly. Friday she was fine but she didn't eat her dinner. Saturday she didn't eat at all but was still drinking. She took her last pee Sunday morning and had no interest in eating or drinking and was sleeping with her head held up off the floor. Heartbreaking. I knew it was serious. Her breath was awful.

I taught her how to shake and lay down for a treat which she learned in just a couple of days. Smart kitty. Here are two pictures of her from better days.

Attachments

• P1010876.jpg
    P1010876.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 5
  • P1010442.jpg
    P1010442.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 9
Buckeye said:
I had to put my shelter kitty, Abby, to sleep today. She stopped eating completely on Saturday and drinking on Sunday morning. The vet took one look in her mouth this morning and saw sores so she knew Abby had kidney failure. I think Abby was about 9 old but it's hard to say since she was brought to the shelter as a stray. We have had her 4.5 years and she lived in FL and OH.

The vet offered to do tests if I wanted but it was obvious Abby wasn't going to get well. They quoted two blood tests, urine test, and the exam for $133 which I thought was very reasonable. There was no pressure. I asked the vet if the tests would tell her anything material she didn't already know and she said "no" so the decision was made. The final cost was $65.

It came on very suddenly. Friday she was fine but she didn't eat her dinner. Saturday she didn't eat at all but was still drinking. She took her last pee Sunday morning and had no interest in eating or drinking and was sleeping with her head held up off the floor. Heartbreaking. I knew it was serious. Her breath was awful.

I taught her how to shake and lay down for a treat which she learned in just a couple of days. Smart kitty. Here are two pictures of her from better days.

I'm so sorry. It's a hard decision to make, but it sounds like you really had no other, humane choice. What a fortunate kitty to have someone who loved her well.

I am so sorry to read about this, Buckeye. Losing a beloved pet is so hard to go through, especially when it happens this suddenly. :'( Take care.

Awwww, so sorry to hear about the kitty. They are such a big part of our lives.

I saw this sign for sale in a catalog the other day. It says "dog", but it applies to me (substitute "cat"):

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog, they take a piece of my heart with them, and every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."

Thanks everyone. It's so strange not having her in the apartment. She spent most of her time sleeping but she was another being in our midst who is no longer here. She was such a sweet kitty. We're going to miss her very much.

She came to us a very untrusting and withdrawn cat who didn't meow for at least the first two years we had her. Until the last year, she never made a peep to wake us up even if we slept in and her bowl was empty. Also, she would rarely follow you to the kitchen and never went in the kitchen. She would just go sit by her empty bowl and look and you and then her bowl and then at you .....

The one thing she would not patiently wait for was a head scratch from my husband. When she strolled into her "parking" space beside his chair (she hated to be held or sit in your lap), she'd give him about 5 seconds to reach down and scratch her head. If he didn't move fast enough she would reach up and tap him on the arm. She had him well-trained!

I volunteer at a parrot rescue, and one time we had 8 greys there -- either boarding or up for adoption. One would make a phone ring sound, then another would say "Hello?" and then about 3 of them would laugh. Then another would make a phone ring sound, different one would say "Hello?" and more laughter. They kept this up for almost an hour. They are so funny!

This makes me laugh every time I read it...like vaudeville parrots.

Buckeye, your Abby looks a lot like my Pancake (boss found her as a tiny kitten one freezing night beside the IHOP--she even smelled like kitchen grease) who is about 5 years old.

I've lost several to kidney disease and it is a credit to you that she did not suffer too long with this illness. Please know you did right by her in your care.

I am so sorry for your loss. Though it is hard to imagine now, please when you are ready take another trip up to the shelter. This time of year is always tough for them. :flowers:

Buckeye, your Abby looks a lot like my Pancake (boss found her as a tiny kitten one freezing night beside the IHOP--she even smelled like kitchen grease) who is about 5 years old.

I've lost several to kidney disease and it is a credit to you that she did not suffer too long with this illness. Please know you did right by her in your care.

I am so sorry for your loss. Though it is hard to imagine now, please when you are ready take another trip up to the shelter. This time of year is always tough for them. :flowers:

Yes, I'm pretty sure we will be shelter shopping again. I have said before I'm going to stay pet free and enjoy my freedom but then I start missing something soft and fuzzy that purrs. It takes about 30 days.

Buckeye, so sorry for your loss. We're into puppies but it hurts to see them leave your life. You have to take solace in that you made their life better while they were in your care. We still miss all our puppies that had to leave us. In the future we will only do rescues. All the best to you.

What Sarah said - the shelters and rescues are popping with kittens right now, and there are a lot of young (and old) adults that get passed over. There is pretty much never a time when you can't find a kitty who needs you.

What Sarah said - the shelters and rescues are popping with kittens right now, and there are a lot of young (and old) adults that get passed over. There is pretty much never a time when you can't find a kitty who needs you.

Some of our apt complex (55+) residents work at the local shelter and they have arranged "adopt an adult cat" events held at our clubhouse. If the resident doesn't already have a pet, the complex waives the $200 pet deposit to encourage adoption. That's pretty awesome for a company to do! We would definitely go the adult cat route. We live on the second floor in 1050 sq feet so we need a cat that likes to lay around on a cat tower and survey her kingdom from the screened lanai.

Sorry to hear about your pet! Two years ago I put down my dog and cat in the same year, months apart. It's heart breaking. Well now I have two cats (who do not get along) one from the shelter and one from the Humane's Society and 11 betta fish!

mountaintosea said:
Sorry to hear about your pet! Two years ago I put down my dog and cat in the same year, months apart. It's heart breaking. Well now I have two cats (who do not get along) one from the shelter and one from the Humane's Society and 11 betta fish!

Awww, I know all about that! Of my six, four of them only get along in pairs, and two hate all the rest. Ah well, at least they like me! But I'm also guessing those 11betas don't get along either!

Yeah 11 Siamese Fighting fish all separate but all different and beautiful ( tried to download photos to album but can't seem to figure it out with this Mac). One cat is Siamese and one is Siamese/tabby mix. I keep them separate with baby gates. Although I've had a few battles.

Back
Top Bottom