Animals we share our lives with

We have just finished two weeks with our new girls - Madeline and Ramona. They are nine months old and we got them from the shelter in Norwalk, CT. They had been removed from an animal hoarding situation. They spent the first few days hiding under the funiture, but they appear to be adjusting quite nicely now. We can pet them both and hold one in the lap. We like them.

Attachments

• IMG_3778.jpg
    IMG_3778.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3779.jpg
    IMG_3779.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 7
We have just finished two weeks with our new girls - Madeline and Ramona. They are nine months old and we got them from the shelter in Norwalk, CT. They had been removed from an animal hoarding situation. They spent the first few days hiding under the funiture, but they appear to be adjusting quite nicely now. We can pet them both and hold one in the lap. We like them.

What sweet faces and beautiful markings they both have. Love to hear about happy adoptions of shelter kitties.

The kids, Spike in the front and Sophie in the back. They are at doggie daycare and just kicking back.

Attachments

• kids.jpg
    kids.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

We have a orange cat with the spot stripes.... I think they look nice.... he still does not like to be held after 4 months with us... but, he does like to be around us and will allow petting...

The other one looks softer.... bet she is the lap cat.....

Gumby, I love the new kitties! Very pretty and good names!

And of course the pups are adorable, oldtrig and DFA!
I got a new foster dog, Rembrandt, this weekend, and he's a lovely boy.

Attachments

• Rembrandt.png
    Rembrandt.png
    324.4 KB · Views: 200
My kayak companion - Razz M Tazz. Yeah, he has to wear the lifevest, he sinks like a rock without it. I thought all dogs could "paddle" but not the Razz.

Attachments

• Razz & Kayak.jpg
    Razz & Kayak.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 11
OK, I need some help....

Our two cats have fleas.... We have used an Advantix generic (not sure if it is this one as I do not have the box with me) and also tried a pyrethrin based poison.... they still seem to be there...

My DW was expecting them to be dead within a day, but found about 5 hanging around one of our cat's nose.... the other is a Russian Blue, so you can not see anything even if she had them...

SOOO, what is the best thing to use? My DW wants to go to the vet, but I do not think they have anything we can not get...

Options? recommendations?

OK, I need some help....

Our two cats have fleas.... We have used an Advantix generic (not sure if it is this one as I do not have the box with me) and also tried a pyrethrin based poison.... they still seem to be there...

My DW was expecting them to be dead within a day, but found about 5 hanging around one of our cat's nose.... the other is a Russian Blue, so you can not see anything even if she had them...

SOOO, what is the best thing to use? My DW wants to go to the vet, but I do not think they have anything we can not get...

K-9 Advantix is lethal to cats.
Please tell me you meant Advantage.
I use Comfortis on my dogs with very favorable results. The cats are normally given brand-name Advantage a few months a year, but mostly the fleas prefer the dogs. You can get Comfortis for cats, but it will require a prescription from the vet.

K-9 Advantix is lethal to cats.
Please tell me you meant Advantage.
I use Comfortis on my dogs with very favorable results. The cats are normally given brand-name Advantage a few months a year, but mostly the fleas prefer the dogs. You can get Comfortis for cats, but it will require a prescription from the vet.

I did not use anything for dogs... it even has a picture of a cat on the box... so it must be Advantage... as I said, I did not bring the box with me so I was going by memory (which does not seem to be as good as it was)...

OK, looked one up... it is
SENTRY FiproGuard_Flea_&_Tick_Squeeze-On_Treatment_for_Cats sold at Petsmart...

SENTRY® FiproGuard Flea & Tick Squeeze-On Treatment for Cats - Sale - Cat - PetSmart

I know there was another that we used, but will have to wait until I get home to see....

Last edited:
Thank goodness. The Advantix has lots of warnings (the brand-name one anyway) about how even a drop of it can kill cats.
You might try Comfortis, but remember that cats are extremely sensitive to those topical treatments and I've heard quite a few horror stories about the drugstore/supermarket ones actually causing deaths. I economize on lots of animal related expenses, but I always go top shelf on flea meds. I have 5 cats at the moment.

We use K9advantix II on our dogs and Advantage II on our cats. Both are made by Bayer. K9advantix II kills ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, biting flies and lice. Advantage II only kills fleas.

We used to use Biospot on the dogs but, for whatever reason, it became ineffective.

I like you Gumby.

OK, I need some help....

I have used Diatomaceous Earth as a natural flea control many times with great success on both dogs and cats. It is very fine white powder almost like talcum, but is odorless and very easy to use.

DE comes in food grade or garden grade, and the food grade is needed so that it is totally safe to put directly onto the animal. I used a plastic ketchup container I bought at Wal-Mart for 99 cents because it has a cone shaped end that lets you "puff" the powder under the fur next to the skin. The fleas only need to walk through it to be affected, so I used it around the neck and around the tail of the pet. Works great.

The only downside I found is that the fur becomes fairly thick after using the DE for awhile, so getting a flea comb through was a little tougher. But within a week of using it, fleas were gone.

I order mine online in 5 pound quantities which lasts for a long time.

Last edited:
I have used Diatomaceous Earth as a natural flea control many times with great success on both dogs and cats. It is very fine white powder almost like talcum, but is odorless and very easy to use.

DE comes in food grade or garden grade, and the food grade is needed so that it is totally safe to put directly onto the animal. I used a plastic ketchup container I bought at Wal-Mart for 99 cents because it has a cone shaped end that lets you "puff" the powder under the fur next to the skin. The fleas only need to walk through it to be affected, so I used it around the neck and around the tail of the pet. Works great.

The only downside I found is that the fur becomes fairly thick after using the DE for awhile, so getting a flea comb through was a little tougher. But within a week of using it, fleas were gone.

I order mine online in 5 pound quantities which last for a long time.

DE doesn't hurt the cat when they lick themselves and ingest it? Isn't it like finely ground glass?

Gumby, sounds like my 2 calicoes that I got a couple years ago. They will get nothing but closer to you as they realize they are safe and loved.

I almost had an unwelcome sharing with an animal tonight. I was down in the lower level and heard some noises upstairs. Thought it was the cats getting into something, and saw they were with me. Headed upstairs and it sounded like someone trying to open my front door. Break-ins are pretty much unheard of in our mountain community. Turned on the light and looked through the side glass to see a bear right up against the door! Yelled and pounded on the door and it hissed at me and slowly ambled off. We've had about a dozen car break-ins on the mountain this spring, and it looks like the bear is moving up to homes. Was not able to get a picture. Maybe it's the same one that's in my avatar. I'm (somewhat) ok with them coming near the house, but no trying to get in!

Been wanting to make this video for a while. One of our Jack Russell terriers, Ruby, has been blind from SARDS for about 6 years now. My wife had the idea of getting her some Doggles so she wouldn't hurt herself if she ran into a sharp twig in a bush. She is pretty good about walking a straight line by herself.

Ruby and her Doggles - YouTube

I order mine online in 5 pound quantities which lasts for a long time.

+1 I also use a spray solution of cedar oil and water for as natural insect repellent just make sure your pet is not allergic to the oil (even a weak solution works)

Been wanting to make this video for a while. One of our Jack Russell terriers, Ruby, has been blind from SARDS for about 6 years now. My wife had the idea of getting her some Doggles so she wouldn't hurt herself if she ran into a sharp twig in a bush. She is pretty good about walking a straight line by herself.

Great video and neat doggles!

Yes - the Doggles look great. Neat video!

Back
Top Bottom