Another Free Freeway Camera

The camera being dropped very likely has gotten its optics knocked out of kilter, hence the fuzzy picture when zoomed to the max.

The camera being dropped very likely has gotten its optics knocked out of kilter, hence the fuzzy picture when zoomed to the max.

It might need some percussive maintenance.

I don't think Yachats is it, since for all the hotels in the area, there's a beach between the bluff and the ocean.

Here's video from the camera.

Test Movie - YouTube

Last edited:
The beach video could be at another location. There is a stream that looks similar at Cannon Beach, Ecola Creek.

However, when I got home, I wasn't that impressed with the sharpness of the photos. I may not have used the focusing quite right, but it should have done better. Here it is at it's worst -- maximum resolution:
redir

A possible explanation for the poor focus may lie in where it was focusing. If the camera is set to focus to a specific point or very small area, and that area was to the right, there isn't much to focus on and a lot of cameras can't do it.

This occurs to me because the other photos are in focus. However, if the camera is set to select focus over the entire scene it should have picked up on the contrast between the land and water.

Even with an expensive DLSR, if you point it at a blank smooth wall it won't focus because it can't find any contrasting lines to focus on.

Opinion od Ducks...

Here is a comment from the City-Data Oregon forum:

I was also thinking it looks like the central coast, especially the resorts and motels north of downtown Yachats. The walkway reminds me of the Historic 804 Trail that is between the buildings and the coast.

Here are a couple of pictures I took from the porch of the Fireside Motel in Yachats:

img_1451149_0_7eb6ddf831013c3cbb6b7d623d3b2b8d.jpg

img_1451149_1_8f70ed7ecbdbaf4fc6acd4200f16bbaa.jpg

Note that I took the beach video during a hike yesterday. That was a comment on focus rather than finding the location of the shots.

A possible explanation for the poor focus may lie in where it was focusing. If the camera is set to focus to a specific point or very small area, and that area was to the right, there isn't much to focus on and a lot of cameras can't do it.

Yes, that's what I think is going on. In the manual it says this of the mode it was in:
The camera has nine focus areas, and automatically
selects the focus areas containing the subject closest
to the camera. Press the shutter-release button
halfway to activate the focus area.

In this example, it probably focused on that blade of grass:

Focus.png

Focus100Percent.jpg

So I've switched it to center focus area. I'll do some experimenting later comparing the different cameras.

Last edited:
Set the focus mode to center, and the focus is now just as good as with the old free freeway camera:

FocusComparison.jpg

It might need some percussive maintenance...

It's good that the camera is working fine, and you do not need the maintenance action like this character employed in the movie Fargo.

Last edited:

Great story.

A friend was fishing around here and he dropped his watch overboard. Two years later, the guy was fishing in the same lagoon, and caught a large bass.

When he was cleaning the fish, he noticed something hard in the it's stomach. He called me over, and we cut open the stomach, and out popped, and I'm not making this up, a bottle cap!

Back
Top Bottom