Another pc problem

jambo101

Full time employment: Posting here.
I have 2 computers and the one upstairs started showing me a window saying i have connectivity problems with the WiFi connection so i brought the tower downstairs and plugged it directly ino the modem and the downstairs monitor,everything now worked fine so i bring the tower back upstairs and re plug it into its monitor and reconnect all the wires and now the monitor refuses to come on,its just a black screen,what could be wrong? all wires are back where they came from,everything is plugged in but the monitor doesnt seem to be recognized by the computer,i opened the tower to see if a wire had come loose and i checked the pins on the plug,all seemed to be fine,so i brought the tower back downstairs and replugged it into the other monitor and nothing happens with the other monitor now just a black screen.
I'm sure its just a minor problem but i just dont know where to look...Thanks for any help.

Fuse in the monitor? Does the monitor downstairs work? In case you cannot plug the monitor from downstairs into the computer upstairs (laptop?), can you borrow another monitor and try it? Power in the wall plug? Is the plug on a GFI that has tripped? Removed the Video Card and reseated it in the slot? Just guessing here but seems like you are not getting power to the monitor.

Is this a plug in video card? Or is the vga (or dvi) connection on the motherboard? If it is a plug in card the card may have slipped out of it's slot. I have seen that issue before if it was not secured properly. If it is a slotted card - open the case and reseat the card - with the power off of course and tighten the locking screw then hook it back up and try again.
Also some computers may have more than one video connection - make sure you are on the active video port if that is the case.

good luck!

To summarize, your computer is not sending out a video signal, and you've tested with two different monitors, so you can be pretty sure the problem is on the computer end.

If the monitor plugs into a card, pull the card out run an eraser over the connectors, blow off any dust and plug it back in.

Turn everything on and jiggle things. Perhaps some gentle taps.

Futz around, jiggle cables, look. See if there's something you forgot.

It's possible that something was ready to go, and the moving of the computer around the house was the final straw.

I can't tell you how many times I've fixed something just by futzing around. For example, our irreplaceable (because it has a temp probe and can attach under a cabinet) microwave stopped working. I could set cook time, etc, but it wouldn't come on. Spent time on the phone with tech support -- no help. So I futzed around, and happened to push down on the door, and it started working. The hinge had bent slightly, so that the microwave wasn't sensing that the door was closed. That was years ago and it's still working fine.

Last edited:
Thanks.
I opened the computer and pushed and wiggled the square board that the blue plug from the monitor plugs into,no luck.the monitor is getting some power as when i push the button on the front of it it gives me a message to press any key to continue however nothing happens when i press the keys.
Another related problem is that as i cant get to the start menu the only way to turn it off is by unplugging it.
Looks like a trip to the local computer store will be inevitable.:(

Last edited:
when i push the button on the front of it it gives me a message to press any key to continue however nothing happens when i press the keys.
Could you clarify this? You push a button on the monitor, and where do you see this message? I thought there was no video.

And what does the message say, exactly?

When pressing one of the buttons on the monitor a small window opens and says="In power save mode,press any key or move mouse"then the screen retuns to black and key or mouse have no effect.:confused:

Can you try your monitor with another computer system to establish you monitor is OK? From your last post I suspect the monitor is fine. At this point I would make a small wager that your Video card is the culprit and has died (not sending to the monitor). If the monitor is fine a new Video card is a cheap fix.

I tried plugging in another monitor and get the same negative results.All solutions are leading to a problem with the video card.Cant understand how it has a failure by just moving the tower from one room to another,its not like i dropped it.

Cant understand how it has a failure by just moving the tower from one room to another,its not like i dropped it.

You've become a victim of the "But it was working fine last night!" phenomenon. When something works fine for years, and then stops, it's hard to accept. It probably would have failed soon anyway.

Power to PC?

Are you sure the PC is getting power? Do you see lights on the front of the PC? Hear the PC's fan running?

Mike Honeycutt

This PC is a Dell product and is only 6 months old.I;m probably going to install a new video card rather than go through all the trouble of finding the boxes it came in and all the paperwork to ship it back to Dell.

When pressing one of the buttons on the monitor a small window opens and says="In power save mode,press any key or move mouse"then the screen retuns to black and key or mouse have no effect.:confused:

That's your monitor stating that it's not getting a video signal from the computer.

Do you get any beeps when the computer starts up?

This PC is a Dell product and is only 6 months old.I;m probably going to install a new video card rather than go through all the trouble of finding the boxes it came in and all the paperwork to ship it back to Dell.

Call Dell. If its still under warranty, and it probably is, they'll probably just send you a new video card to install.

If it is only 6 months old isn't it covered by at least the 1 year warranty most of them come with unless you opt for a longer period? My experience is that they (DELL) will diagnosis it over the phone and either send a Technician to check it out/repair it or they will send you new parts which you install and then send the old parts back in the box you got the new parts in. Under warranty they even send a DHL or some other carrier prepaid return ticket with it. I do not know how much cheaper and easier it could be.

Just spent 2hrs on the phone with tech support,took everything apart and back together again and still no joy.
Tech support guy seems to think its a problem with a CPU or some problem with the motherboard.

I would escalate to a Supervisory Level by asking to speak to a Supervisor (being polite but firm - trying not to let it string out beyond a single phone call) and my position would be: tell me what is wrong, fix it, or send me a replacement system. Being that vague regarding what is wrong (MB or CPU) is not going to help anyone. Good luck and I hope you can get some satisfaction. I had to return a new Dell Desktop (630i model) and a Notebook (M1330) in the last 3 or 4 months. I got replacement systems and both are working fine now. I did not need to escalate in either but was prepared to do so if necessary. I have had to do it in the past and in every case all worked out fine. I wish you good luck - and remember if you put your own stuff in a DELL your warranty is in potential jeopardy.

You've become a victim of the "But it was working fine last night!" phenomenon. When something works fine for years, and then stops, it's hard to accept. It probably would have failed soon anyway.

Everything works up to the moment it doesn't! He was alive just yesterday!

Back
Top Bottom