Need basic, not expensive, cable modem for new internet connection

John Galt III

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi, I have TV via cable, but no internet via cable now. I called my cable co and got a price, which was OK, so now I just have to find a cable modem to connect to the coax outlet in the room (the outlet is currently unused, and will be devoted to internet only). I saw a refurbished Netgear CM400 for $33 on the Walmart website. How would that guy work? I am just getting 100 mips (meg)? so do not need speed. Just screw a cable onto the wall outlet, screw it onto the modem, and hook up a wire from the ethernet port on the modem, to the computer, right ? The cable co wants me to call them with the number on the modem so they can see if it is compatible, before they will turn on internet service. Sounds doable. Am I leaving anything out? Not interested in wifi currently, but possibly in future. Thanks

I bought a refurbished one of these 2 years ago at Amazon, works fine. They currently have one for $20.

ARRIS SURFboard SB6183-RB DOCSIS 3.0

I bought a refurb from Walmart back in May 2020 that's still working fine. I had verified the model was listed on Comcast website at the time to make sure it was supported. My connection speed has increased from 25 Mbps at the time to 75 Mbps now (tests closer to 90 Mbps). Still works great.

NETGEAR Certified Refurbished DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem With 16X4 Max (CM500-100NAR)
$24.99

Looks like it's $39 for a refurb CM500 now. Can't speak for the CM400. I would be more comfortable if it was on their officially supported list.

Last edited:
Check your ISP's list of equipment that they allow. Don't assume whatever you buy will be OK. That can get costly and frustrating.
My old ISP was purchased recently when I was no longer a customer. I have a Docsis 3.0 modem that was on their network in August.
I moved to comcast and I am using that modem with them.
I went back to the old ISP to add a second connection at the house, and now they want Docsis 3.1 and the old modem from August would not work.
I am going to rent from them for $10 a month, because the 3.1 modems are more $$ than the rent will be on the short term that I will be using them.

Definitely put a router between your devices and the modem. A university study showed that instead plugging an operating computer directly into a cable modem quickly results in that computer becoming infected with a virus. Quickly means in under one minute on average, even if you do nothing on that computer, such a run a browser. A router acts as a firewall to prevent direct access from the outside.

I got the cheapest cable modem in the local Best Buy store over five years ago. It still works fine. There is a periodic reset required... but I'm overall very satisfied for the price (about a year of Comcast rental modem). I did splurge on an AirPort Extreme, about 15 years ago, and it is still going strong.

I would rent equipment from the cable company. That will ensure that you're set up correctly. Then you can do some research on whether or not you can replace the rented equipment with your own and which equipment you can get away with.

Thanks, everyone. Are these 'modems' actually modem-router combos ? Do I really need a separate router in between modem and computer to catch viruses, as someone stated?

Modem router combos exist. If you are doing the buying, you get to choose from those compatible with your ISP.

usually it is two pieces if you buy it. Xfinity has an all in one unit but that one is a rental.

Thanks, everyone. Are these 'modems' actually modem-router combos ? Do I really need a separate router in between modem and computer to catch viruses, as someone stated?
The low cost ones mentioned are only cable modems.

So with those, yes, you definitely want to use a router between the PC and modem for the stateful firewall capabilities to protect against external attacks. Of course, you still need to use AV protection and keep your system updated.

I had a Comcast provided rental modem for a while which included routing internally and multiple ethernet ports and wireless, but I replaced it with a separate cable modem (mentioned earlier) along with a wireless GB router which cost about $50.

I used to work in this field. Your cable company will have a list of cable modems they support.

It is good advice to put a router between your cable modem and your computer/and or home network. It can help firewall against viruses.

You *will* need to get your cable company involved to start it up. They have to send authorization to the cable modem from the 'head end' of the cable company. Otherwise anyone could steal internet service by stringing a cable to your neighbor, or to the pole. This is usually done with a phone call. You'll need the mac address and serial number of the cable modem. It's usually found on a sticker on the device.

Good luck!!!

I guess I don't fit the mold, ha ha.

I went to the cable co website and they had no list of modems. I 'chatted' with someone online there who said any modem would work. I told her the sales person said otherwise, and she then said they recommend any docsis 3.1 modem, so I can get the speed I want. I told her I only need 100 meg, and don't need wifi, and the chat disconnected. I tried to get back in, and it said all agents busy.

I plan to call, and ask for tech support. Maybe that person will be better.

She also said the router has nothing to do with viruses, and is only there to provide wifi.

docsis 3.1 is expensive ?

comments ?

This is the only cable co I have access to. Well, maybe another one, but I have heard bad things about them.

Thanks

A docsis 3.1 modem is ~ $100 (compared to renting, will pay for itself in less than 1 year).

A separate router is ~$50 for a dual band.

The person you talked to has to say a quick answer, a router provides a LOT more than wifi.
Mine provides both wifi and wired connections, some have plug in storage , and mine has dual networks so I put all the camera's etc on 1 network, and my computers on the other networks, so they are separated. Plus of course it provides a firewall against hackers so people on the internet cannot see my computer.

She also said the router has nothing to do with viruses, and is only there to provide wifi.

Not true. A router doesn't necessarily provide wifi. Most do now, though. I still have an old router that doesn't have wireless. I don't use it anymore.

The stateful firewall on your home router protects against external initiated attacks. Viruses are just one possibility. And you still need to keep your system patched and have updated antivirus software.

The router also includes network switching and NAT to allow you to connect multiple devices at the same time.

About 20 years ago, it was pretty common for people to be operating a computer directly with a public IP and no external firewall. Heck the VPN we had at work 20 years ago wouldn't even work if the IP was NATed by a home router. But, things have changed when it comes to the VPN and security overall, and I definitely wouldn't make that type of direct connection these days, even though it was never a problem over the years of doing so way back then.

It would be best if you could get a cable modem that is specifically listed as supported by the provider so they are more likely to provide support if there are issues. That doesn't matter so much with a router. I would recommend getting a dual band router with gigabit ethernet ports (1000 Mbps). There are still routers sold with slower fast ethernet ports (100 Mbps),

Hopefully you can get by with a low cost DOCSIS 3.0 modem like the $25 one I bought and am still using 3 to 4 years now.

Last edited:
I guess I don't fit the mold, ha ha.

I went to the cable co website and they had no list of modems. I 'chatted' with someone online there who said any modem would work. I told her the sales person said otherwise, and she then said they recommend any docsis 3.1 modem, so I can get the speed I want. I told her I only need 100 meg, and don't need wifi, and the chat disconnected. I tried to get back in, and it said all agents busy.

I plan to call, and ask for tech support. Maybe that person will be better.

docsis 3.1 is expensive ?

comments ?

This is the only cable co I have access to. Well, maybe another one, but I have heard bad things about them.

Thanks

I have a docsis 3.0, the comment on a router is ridiculous as mentioned

Attachments

• screenshot-www.google.com-2023.12.08-12_01_22.png
    screenshot-www.google.com-2023.12.08-12_01_22.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 3
In our area CraigsList always has a good selection of hardware. It is pretty easy to get a good modem or WiFi router/WAP fairly cheap. From the model number one can check compatibility. This gets me higher-performance hardware at Walmart prices.

At our place I hardwire the desktop docks, the TV, the internet radio, and the VoIP box. Everything else is WiFi.

In our area CraigsList always has a good selection of hardware. It is pretty easy to get a good modem or WiFi router/WAP fairly cheap. From the model number one can check compatibility. This gets me higher-performance hardware at Walmart prices.

At our place I hardwire the desktop docks, the TV, the internet radio, and the VoIP box. Everything else is WiFi.
Be careful. You never know what bugs might have crawled inside (and even laid eggs) when that hardware was at someone else's home that you could be bringing in to your home. I remember seeing a post by someone a while back that they had spent $20,000 trying to get rid of bugs. That's going to more than offset the savings of buying used.

Last edited:
Be careful. You never know what bugs might have crawled inside (and even laid eggs) when that hardware was at someone else's home that you could be bringing in to your home. I remember seeing a post by someone a while back that they had spent $20,000 trying to get rid of bugs. That's going to more than offset the savings of buying used.
Not paranoid enough to worry about second-hand anecdotes. Buy used stuff all the time.

My late BIL was a telephone repair guy and yea this happened.

If you're buying now, it's time for a Docsis 3.1 modem.

Back
Top Bottom