Need basic, not expensive, cable modem for new internet connection

Yes, buying now. But why not a 3.0 ? Cheaper, and I don't plan on ever needing more than 100 mbits.
When you buy into the future with the latest implemented standard you are gaining maximum use of your investment.

If you want to do otherwise that's your choice. Looking around for older equipment, maybe used, is not my cup of tea.

DOCSIS 3.1 - 10 Gbit/s downstream and 2 Gbit/s upstream

DOCSIS 3.0 - 1 Gbit/s downstream and 100 Mbp/s upstream

I have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem, purchased 4-5 years ago. So that's where I'm coming from. Today, it looks like a better investment is 3.1. It comes down to the manufacturer, how well the old and newer modems perform in a wide range of applications. Support may be important upfront. Say you buy used off Craigslist. You don't get a connection. Will the ISP and manufacturer stand behind used equipment?

Pick the manufacturer carefully. Check reviews and forums for big issues.

Yes, buying now. But why not a 3.0 ? Cheaper, and I don't plan on ever needing more than 100 mbits.
That's what I did - no regrets. When I put in a local address on the Comcast site, it still shows DOCSIS 3.0 modems including mine as being supported. My internet speed tests well over 80 Mbps download, so I plan to stick with my $25 refurb DOCSIS 3.0 modem (specified earlier in thread) until it fails or Comcast forces my hand, which I wouldn't expect to happen anytime soon since they still have it listed as an option. Hopefully I could find another low cost refurb DOCSIS 3.0 modem if the current one failed.

Comcast here won't let you use your own cable modem on their higher tier - you're forced to rent.

While DOCSIS 3.1 technology will support 10 Gbps download spec, a modem won't necessarily support that. Check the specific modem specs and port specs.

Last edited:
OP, I've got a spare near-new Netgear CM1000v2 Docsis 3.1 cable modem that's been sitting in its box under the desk for the last 18 months. You can have it for free if you want. When I switched to Cable internet in 2022 I bought a new Arris Docsis 3.1 modem to install, but I couldn't get it to work. The cable company said I had a bad modem, so I bought the Netgear off of CL to try instead. It didn't work either, so I finally got the cable company to come out and look at their cabling outside the house. They found a problem and fixed it, and then both modems worked. I decided to install the Arris, and so the Netgear has been sitting in its box ever since.

If you want it, PM me and I'll ship it to you. It is definitely just a modem, not a combination modem/router.

from the time I left my ISP in August until last week when I went back to the new company that purchased them, they would not hook up a 3.0.
That would be why. If they change head equipment you could get left out. That would not be an issue with rented equipment, they would bring out the new one. You bought it? Now it is your paperweight.

I would rent equipment from the cable company. That will ensure that you're set up correctly. Then you can do some research on whether or not you can replace the rented equipment with your own and which equipment you can get away with.

I would advise against this. If you go this route, then you will essentially go through setup all over again with your own modem, and then have to send/take their modem back to stop the monthly charges.

If someone is coming from the cable company to set up/install for you, if you have the modem at the time of install, they will do it with your modem. DD did this a few years back when she was living in Vegas. If you do self-install, if you get stuck, the company support desk will work with you to get set up. They can see/work with things on their end while they talk you through things on your end. DD just did this helping her cousin get set up a couple weeks ago. Used mom's old Netgear C7000 modem previously used with Xfinity, now using it with Optimum.

Again, not difficult at all and company will provide support if you get stuck, so long as the modem you're using is on their list of supported devices. It's usually no more than giving them the MAC address of your new modem - either through their website/app or by phoning it in to support.

You may never plan on needing more than 100 Mbps, but the world will continue advancing.
... in the future, you may find you want more speed even though today you don't plan to. Who knows what great app or service comes along that may excite you?

Yeah, I have this thought of Bill Gates, who allegedly said "Nobody will ever need more than 640K of memory" :LOL:

But I'm one of those who always buys the biggest/best/most I can afford, in anticipation of that. I think I'm in a minority there.

I'm currently thinking of renting their modem/router for $10.95 a month. Their modem without router is $5.95 a month, and they say I don't need the router, but people here say I do. So am thinking of renting the modem/router.

I have to clarify with the cable co whether I can return their modem, or if they force me to buy it from them, once I have started renting it.

I'm also planning to use the Affordable Connectivity Program to get $30 off my monthly bill. They say on their website they participate in it. I've heard some cable companies only allow the ACP program for their high tier plans.

Hoping they accept ACP for the econopack. I want to have the economy TV and the minimum (100 Mbits) internet speed package, which is supposedly $110 per month, if renting modem/router with it. Hoping for $110 - $30 ACP = $80 per month.

The salesperson never mentioned the ACP when she quoted me the $110 price. I haven't mentioned it yet because I just want to get the non-subsidized price first.

A household is eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program if the household income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, or if a member of the household meets at least one of the criteria below: https://www.fcc.gov/acp
Looks like you go through that site to apply for ACP.

Update from the OP : Well I got a $49 Arris 3.0 SB6183 from Walmart. It works ! Well, it works when I hook it up to my older PC, but not the newer PC. I was hoping to move 'up' to the newer PC. I'm trying to figure out what settings to tweak on the newer computer, which is running Windows 7, to get it to work. I'm sure it will take less than 5 minutes to fix it, after I finally know what to do (which could take hours of research). The newer PC doesn't recognize the modem. And the funny thing is, the older PC also doesn't recognize the modem, even though the modem works for it. Hmmm. In 'control panel' I looked in Network settings, Modems, and Internet options. No mention of any modem except an old dialup modem which is unplugged. The newer computer's Windows 7 troubleshooter said I need an adapter and drivers, or at least drivers. Have to wait til Monday to access the Arris website, and other geeky windows 7 forums, since this old computer won't access them. These self-help tutorials on windows 7 cover a lot of territory but the wording is really ambiguous and unclear often, for a non-expert. I used to have geek friends or acquaintances who could fix this for me in 5 minutes, lol.

Update from the OP : Well I got a $49 Arris 3.0 SB6183 from Walmart. It works ! Well, it works when I hook it up to my older PC, but not the newer PC. I was hoping to move 'up' to the newer PC. I'm trying to figure out what settings to tweak on the newer computer, which is running Windows 7, to get it to work. I'm sure it will take less than 5 minutes to fix it, after I finally know what to do (which could take hours of research). The newer PC doesn't recognize the modem. And the funny thing is, the older PC also doesn't recognize the modem, even though the modem works for it. Hmmm. In 'control panel' I looked in Network settings, Modems, and Internet options. No mention of any modem except an old dialup modem which is unplugged. The newer computer's Windows 7 troubleshooter said I need an adapter and drivers, or at least drivers. Have to wait til Monday to access the Arris website, and other geeky windows 7 forums, since this old computer won't access them. These self-help tutorials on windows 7 cover a lot of territory but the wording is really ambiguous and unclear often, for a non-expert. I used to have geek friends or acquaintances who could fix this for me in 5 minutes, lol.

Don't you have a router? You shouldn't try connecting a computer directly to the cable modem. The computer doesn't need to know about a modem, it just needs to get the network settings, which normally would come from a router, and the router would get its network settings via the modem on the WAN side.

The lack of a router has introduced the possibility a virus is mucking up your system, but I'd think it more likely some setting needs to be manually configured. It's very tough to diagnose such things while not sitting at your computer.

Attaching a Windows 7 PC to a cable modem? Ok, comrade, welcome to the world of hacking.

If Windows 7 is your new PC, your older pc is Windows 95?

OK, thanks, guys. The older computer is in Windows ME. I didn't have to do anything to the settings to use the modem and get the internet on the Windows ME computer. The only difference now is that I always get a dialog box when I boot up, asking for user name and password for 'Microsoft Networking'. The box has the previous owner's name, and a blank password. I always just cancel out of that box, and all is OK. Here's another salient problem: In the newer PC, when I am in 'Internet Connections', it asks me if I want to connect to a broadband connection. If I say yes, it throws up a username/psw box and says I need to enter the user name and password that my ISP gave me. I can't get past this roadblock. Cancel out, or proceed with blank fields doesn't work. I called my ISP (the cable co) and they say they don't have any username or password to give me, and that usernames and psw's are only for wifi anyway (I don't have wifi). (Plus I didn't have to enter any username and psw on the old computer. Why just the new one?)

The lack of a router has introduced the possibility a virus is mucking up your system, but I'd think it more likely some setting needs to be manually configured. It's very tough to diagnose such things while not sitting at your computer.

I agree, GrayHare. There's probably > 300 people within a half mile radius of me who could fix it if they were at the keyboard, in 5 minutes, lol. But I don't know them, sigh.

Connecting the computer directly is risky. Your new Windows 7 system won't even get any security updates. You should be using a router.

The workstation should be set to automatically get network settings / DHCP. And you may need to reboot the cable modem again. But I highly recommend the use of a router instead of connecting directly. Microsoft networking isn't necessary for internet access. Previous user must have been connecting to other systems over a network, which would have required passwords, not relevant for what you're trying to do.

Make sure the Windows 7 computer gets an IP address after rebooting the cable modem and booting the computer. But still... use a router.

Thanks, GenXGuy. Do I reboot the cable modem by simply unplugging it from electric power for 30 seconds ?

Make sure the Windows 7 computer gets an IP address after rebooting the cable modem and booting the computer. But still... use a router.

Thanks. How do I see what the IP address is for my computer? Or do you mean the IP address of the ISP ?

Thanks. How do I see what the IP address is for my computer? Or do you mean the IP address of the ISP ?
I normally just go to a command prompt and type ipconfig and ipconfig /all

Look for the IPv4 address. This would normally be assigned automatically from your router, which has been highly recommended. If it starts with 169, that means it wasn't assigned one.

Ipconfig /all should show dhcp enabled, lease times, and dhcp server addresss.

Also you can:
Select the Windows Start button.
Click Control Panel.
Choose Network and Internet.
Choose Network and Sharing Center.
Double-click Local Area Connection and click Details.
Then, review the IPv4 label for your IP address.
It should show dhcp enabled, lease times, and dhcp server also.

Last edited:
Windows 7, no advantage to this OS. Win 10 will run faster and is safer. If you can find the LTSC version that is de-bloated and lean.

I normally just go to a command prompt and type ipconfig and ipconfig /all

Look for the IPv4 address. This would normally be assigned automatically from your router, which has been highly recommended. If it starts with 169, that means it wasn't assigned one.

Ipconfig /all should show dhcp enabled, lease times, and dhcp server addresss.

Also you can:
Select the Windows Start button.
Click Control Panel.
Choose Network and Internet.
Choose Network and Sharing Center.
Double-click Local Area Connection and click Details.
Then, review the IPv4 label for your IP address.
It should show dhcp enabled, lease times, and dhcp server also.

Here's what I found when I went into 'system' after clicking the 'start' button, got system, components, network, adapter. I clicked on 'adapter' and got 12 different adapters and their details. The last one was for an ethernet adapter (that's the first time I have seen the word 'ethernet' in all my struggles here, so that's progress). installed : yes. IP address : not available. DHCP enabled : yes. DHCP server : not available. DCHCP lease expires : not avail. DHCP lease obtained : not avail. MAC address : not available. I guess the good news is that it shows DHCP enabled and adapter installed.

IPconfig /all gives : 'Tunnel adapter tertedo tunneling Pseudo-Interface. Media state : media disconnected. ' Node type: hybrid. IP routing enabled : no. physical address : a lot of zeros ending in E0. DHCP enabled : NO. Autoconfiguration enabled YES. Edit to add. : I just noticed that under 'problem devices' in 'components' is says 'PCI Simple communications controller' does not have the drivers installed. Could that be causing my problem connecting to the internet ?

Last edited:
I never mess with settings, just plug the Ethernet into the router that goes to the modem and it just works.

I never mess with settings, just plug the Ethernet into the router that goes to the modem and it just works.

Yeah, that's what everyone else says too, lol! In fact, I just plugged the ethernet cable into my old computer, and it worked right away, ha ha. Trying to get my newer computer to get online, too. Quite a challenge, to say the least. I'm all on board with 'keep it simple', lol.

Back
Top Bottom