Another pet...

SumDay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We've been married for over 30 years, and have had always had at least one pet (usually 2) in our home. Monday, we had to put our 14 year old mixed breed down. It never gets easier, does it? They take a little piece of our hearts with them.

We had 3 last year at this time, and now we're down to none :( This house is SO quiet, but we're getting ready to list it, so plan to wait until we move, if we do. Funny thing is, I can still hear her nails clicking around the house.

This morning I realized we could just pick up & go this weekend, and didn't have to worry about it. Isn't that great? And then I cried because I know there won't be anyone standing on the other side of the door, waiting for us to walk in, and being more excited than any creature should be to see us.

It's hard. I can't imagine life without a dog, or cat. Just can't imagine. But it is tempting. Maybe I'll tire of this new found freedom soon.

I'm so sorry for your losses. I know exactly how you feel. 9 years ago I had to say goodbye to my sweetie cocker spaniel. I felt so entirely empty. The house felt like it had no life it in. I couldn't take it anymore and a week later adopted my crazy miniature poodle. Life was good again.

I know I'll at least always have a parakeet. They are so much energy and joy. Part of me thinks that I'll not adopt another dog - another part of me thinks I won't be ale to stop myself.

My best advice is to follow your heart. Again, my condolences.

My condolences as well. Never easy, but knowing you gave them a good life can be some solace. That time and space they fill is so noticeable, especially if you've been taking care of an ill animal.

When it is time, you'll know. And if that time doesn't come, that's okay too.

We have had dogs most of our lives. Usually just one at a time, and each time, we say never again. That usually last 3 to 6 months.

Last edited:
I am so sorry, this is so hard to cope with. I have two cats and one dog and my dog is my best bud. She just had three surgeries and was found to have an enlarged heart (but the heart is still functioning) and so I am worried. The thought of being without this particular sweetie is painful indeed.

Then I start to think about what I will do in the future. I worry that I will die and my animals will not be cared for. Should I keep adding or should I just begin to live without when my friends all pass?

Having the dogs and cats has been one of my greatest pleasures in life and they always turn a bad day into a great day. I don't want to live without that. I'm single with no relationship on the horizon. It's nice to have someone excited to see you when you get home!

I am so sorry. It is so hard to lose a pet. Our last dog passed almost 3 years ago. It was really hard for me to not have a dog the past few years but DH just wasn't ready for another one until a few months ago. We have had our new lab pup for about 6-7 weeks and I feel like my heart is whole again :)

Never gets easy but the rainbow bridge poem always helps me. We had to put our 13 year old Shepard down last fall and the current GSD is 1 year old (handful) We have three.

No doubt traveling would be much simplier and more spontaneous but we are used to the way it is an would not have it any other way.......

Sorry for your loss.
We lost one of our dogs last month. We are down to one. DW is pushing for a replacement.

Not yet.

So sorry to hear of your loss. It never gets easier. But we owe the a good
Life and when the time comes- a good death.

When I was between dogs I thought I might try to see how it was with no dog. I lasted about one week.

Back to the dachshund rescue I went.

Now have two. Love them to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Am so sorry for your loss. In 2014, after one of two of my schnauzers went over the rainbow bridge, one of my two cats followed him. He was an outdoor cat and the coolest cat ever.

Last October my other schnauzer also followed. I tried to live with just my indoor cat but after a month I knew I wanted another schnauzer puppy. Got him December 10th and my home felt like home again as did my heart.

"Gus" and I just got back from 5 days at the beach. :)

I'm so sorry for your loss...it doesn't get easier. We lost our girls at 19+/- about 4 years ago and it's been just recently that I don't tear up when thinking about them.

We had thought about waiting a while as we travel a lot and it would be easier w/o pets, but adopted right away. The house was just so empty that when DH came back from his biz trip (we lost the last one while he was away) I told him I was ready to adopt now, a week after we lost Electra.

He said he wasn't ready yet but we could go down to the rescue group that weekend and see what they had available for adoption. Told him, yea, right, we'll come home with a couple of kitties, so he had better be ready :LOL:. After thinking about it a day or 2, he decided he was ready.

We've been married for over 30 years, and have had always had at least one pet (usually 2) in our home. Monday, we had to put our 14 year old mixed breed down. It never gets easier, does it? They take a little piece of our hearts with them.

We had 3 last year at this time, and now we're down to none :( ........

If I understand you correctly, you have lost 3 pets in the past year. I cannot even imagine going through that in the space of one year. My sincere condolences to you on the loss of your fur friends. :(

Over the past 20 years I have been "owned" by 8 cats; 6 have passed away over the years. You are correct, it never gets easier. We give them the best life we can, and what they give in return is immeasurable.

Something to think about, if you decide that you are not ready to adopt again due to travel or some other reason, is the possibility of volunteering to be a "foster parent" to shelter or rescue animals. The time commitment would be finite, not permanent - only until the animal finds a permanent home.

But beware - if you decide to do this, the "foster" animals have a sneaky way of making you their permanent home! {one of my last two "foster" kittens - now 8 years old - is snoozing next to me as I type this}

I'm sorry. You have had a lot of pet losses in a short period of time. I can see why you might take a little break. I can't imagine, though, ever being pet free for very long....

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've cried so hard over so many pets over the years and still think of them with love. I wish there was more comfort I could give.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

It's always such a shock the first few days after losing your pet, but gradually the pain is replaced by bittersweet memories of the best moments you shared. Can't imagine my home without our sweet companion. I feel your sorrow.

Calico, I am very familiar with "foster failure"! All of my five dogs and five cats showed up here under those pretenses!

But I feel compelled to mention that it is kitten season, and there is nothing that can cheer you up more than a pair of them, wrestling and carrying on, in the house. :)

Calico, I am very familiar with "foster failure"! All of my five dogs and five cats showed up here under those pretenses!

But I feel compelled to mention that it is kitten season, and there is nothing that can cheer you up more than a pair of them, wrestling and carrying on, in the house. :)

"Foster failure" is a perfect name for it! :LOL:

My first four cats were intentional shelter adoptions. The next four (including the two orange tabby sisters I have now) were some of my "fosters" who wiggled their way into my heart and never left. :rolleyes:

I don't DARE go near the animal shelter during kitten season - much too dangerous - my furry population at home would expand exponentially if I did that. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom