Any opinions on Ocala - On Top of the World?

Carpediem

Full time employment: Posting here.
DW and I have sometimes considered the possibility of moving to a 55+ active adult community (since we recently decided against an in-ground pool :) ) but we're not sure what the 'vibe' is like in one or if we'd be comfortable in one.

We recently came across one online located in Ocala FL called 'On Top of the World' (OTOTW) that offers a 3 day/2 night tour/sales pitch. Since we've previously read about The Villages, we're very familiar with all the amenities and activities these communities offer. I'm wondering if anyone here has any opinions or heard anything about OTOTW? Has anyone golfed the courses there and if so, were the prices reasonable? Anyone have knowledge of the HOA dues?

I live in On Top of the World in Ocala, I don’t play golf but I might give it a try,
OTOW is a growing community of 5000 to 6000 homes and are building 250 new homes a year, there are many price ranges from the Older homes to the new ones, there are about 12 neighborhoods and they have different HOA fees from about 200 to 400, depending upon what is included, ask me any questions you have I am a resident.

I live in On Top of the World in Ocala, I don’t play golf but I might give it a try,
OTOW is a growing community of 5000 to 6000 homes and are building 250 new homes a year, there are many price ranges from the Older homes to the new ones, there are about 12 neighborhoods and they have different HOA fees from about 200 to 400, depending upon what is included, ask me any questions you have I am a resident.

Thanks, Zig56! Here is the first (of many) question I have: When I talked to the 'sales guy' this morning about scheduling a tour, he mentioned that OTOW was over 33 years old. I was very surprised and started to wonder if the facilities were starting to show their age. I understand there are older homes in the community but in general, does it have the feel of an older 55+ community both in terms of housing and the majority of the residents?

The older section are mostly villas that have 3 to 8 attached units, they are well maintained but do not look nearly as nice as the single family homes in the newer areas. And the newest neighborhoods have a real wow factor. The whole community is very well done and maintained, the new gym was done a couple months ago and they are always adding more things and upgrading the pools and golf courses. The residents are older for the most part, I move here when I was 56, five years ago and it took a little while to meet people my age but now at 61 there are more people my age but most are still a lot older, but many are in very good shape and very fit and active and don’t show there age.

The older section are mostly villas that have 3 to 8 attached units,
Is this the same as a multifamily townhouse units? Not sure what type of structure is a villa with attached units.

The Villas are mostly 2 bed 2 bath and one or 2 garage, they are all one floor and share a common wall with the next unit, some places may call them townhouses, here they are referred to as Villas

The Villas are mostly 2 bed 2 bath and one or 2 garage, they are all one floor and share a common wall with the next unit, some places may call them townhouses, here they are referred to as Villas

FWIW, here in MIchigan we'd call "villas" cluster homes....whereas townhouses here are a string of homes, typically each is multi-story, sharing common walls with neighboring units.

omni

FYI only....if you plan to come to Ocala to see OTOTW you may want to also take a look at a Del Webb community called Stone Creek, which is right next door. We've been there twice looking at homes (we currently live in Orlando) and it seems to be a very nice community. They also have a "come to visit us" program as a part of their marketing. They are still building new homes, but have lots of resale homes as well.

I really don't know much about OTOTW, but I believe it is privately owned and operated by a family, which is unusual these days. It certainly is big and seems pretty successful.

Thanks, that clears it up.

I own a Villa and am planning to retire there in 2019. The Villas are older, but a distinct cut above what’s often found in Florida planned communities. Ours is two bedrooms with two baths a two car garage and a den and is 1800 square feet.

The activities and community are very nice. Not trying to sell you on the community, but do go visit!

We live in the Del Webb Stone Creek community which is adjacent to OTOW. Been here almost 3 years. I and DW are 60/58 and are at the younger end of the age range but there are quite a few others our age. We looked at a lot of communities including The Villages and OTOW. Stone Creek is much younger than either and also smaller. We found OTOW had quite a range of “curb appeal” based on the ages of the neighborhoods. The newer neighborhoods are quite nice and attractive but we found the smaller Stone Creek to be uniformly appealing with plenty of amenities. There are about 1700 homes now with a planned total of 4000. It will probably take another 10-12 years to complete. We are quite satisfied here and recommend it for consideration. We have friends who live in OTOW and love it there too. In the end you just need to visit each community and get your personal feel for it. One will speak to you more than the others. We find Ocala to be a nice place to live - just the right size with lots of outdoor activities close by.

Don't, you find Ocala, Villages and any other community inland to be brutally hot in the summer? we prefer coastal Florida, hurricanes and all.

We moved to Ocala from southwest Georgia - about 230 miles northwest from here. We find the climates very similar. We’re used to hot summers. Actually, we found north central Florida to be a bit more comfortable in summer than SW Ga. The high temps are slightly lower and there is more breeze and lower humidity. Winters are a few degrees warmer as well. Our community’s outdoor pool is heated and open year round - something not practical just four hours north. Now, if you’re not accustomed to long, hot summers then it may be an unpleasant surprise moving to Florida. We find it quite tolerable as do (obviously) lots of other people. These communities continue to grow quickly - there’s a lot to like living in them.

We live in the Del Webb Stone Creek community which is adjacent to OTOW.

Thanks, boog. If you don't mind me asking, approximately how much is your HOA fee (or whatever they might call them) and does it include access to all the amenities? If not, what is the approximate cost to use the amenities? And finally, is the golf course open to the public or for residents only?

Thanks, boog. If you don't mind me asking, approximately how much is your HOA fee (or whatever they might call them) and does it include access to all the amenities? If not, what is the approximate cost to use the amenities? And finally, is the golf course open to the public or for residents only?

Our HOA fee is $198 per month and includes all amenities, trash pickup, and basic (slow) internet. Lawn care is not included - can do it yourself or hire it done. There are sections with smaller garden homes which have a higher HOA fee including lawn watering and complete lawn care. Amenities are excellent IMHO: indoor pool, hot tub, sauna,steam room, locker rooms, great gym, very nice outdoor heated resort pool, outdoor hot tub, pickleball, tennis, bocce, basketball, softball, dog park, large activities center with ballroom, kitchen, snack bar, library, billiards, craft rooms, meeting rooms. We have a full-time lifestyle director who manages our many social events. Tickets are sold for social events and price varies with the entertainment and food provided. Some are no extra charge. Lots of clubs and interest groups. The golf course is open to the public and has a nice clubhouse and restaurant. Green fees and dining are discounted for residents. Memberships are available for avid golfers. I’m not a golfer and like that our HOA fee doesn’t have to support the golf club. My neighbors who do golf like the course and its management.

@boog, @Zip56...

Do you know what the rules are for kids/grandkids visiting? I assume there is a max # of days allowed, right? And are they allowed to use the pool and other amenities? If so, do you find the pools often crowded with youngsters?

Check out Sinkholes in Ocala (Marion County), it is described as sinkhole central. Before you buy check out the cost of sinkhole insurance.

We don’t have any kids but I think kids or grandkids under 18 can stay for up to 30 days, over 18 no limit. There is a small fee for them to use some of the facilities. We have 5 pools, one you may bring visitors to the others are for residents only one of them is a large indoor pool. OTOW provides the insurance for sinkhole coverage and as far as I know there has never been any problems from them .
OTOW is not building any more villa type homes which are the ones attached, only stand alone home are being built, they are building 5 new communities now that are between 60 to 800 houses, In one community all the houses will be maintenance free along with having solar power on each home.

Last edited:
Rules for under 18 visitors are similar here - 30 days per year. Weekdays kids are allowed at pool with supervision 2 hours in am and 2hours in pm - weekends all day. I’ve never seen more than a few kids at the pool - definitely not a problem. You do have to register guests to use amenities but I don’t think we have any charge for it. Yes, sinkholes are a thing and gets lots of news coverage when they happen. I would think significant damage from hurricanes in Florida is much more prevalent than from sinkholes however.

The insurance part of our HOA fee is about $30. and that would include structural damage to the building from sinkholes we are responsible for interior.

Sinkholes

Plotscan.com
Enter an address and it’ll show you the known sinkholes in the vicinity.

Back
Top Bottom