Anyone have a Mini Cooper?

JustMeUC

Recycles dryer sheets
My dad is getting me a new convertible for a Christmas present this year and I have been leaning towards a Mini Cooper. One of the main reasons is the very good gas mileage and the other is they are just so freakin cute. :D

I joined the online forum for Mini's and most of the folks there LOVE them, however, I have heard very mixed reports on the reliability. Mini comes with 4/48,000 warranty and a 3/36,000 free maintenance. I suppose if it is giving me too much trouble I can get rid of it in the next couple of years but.....

I was wondering if anyone here had one or knew someone who had one and what experiences you have had. This will be a weekend/fun car but I still don't want too many problems especially since the closest dealer is 2 hours away from me.

Tammy

I have one. It is an '07 R56. I bought it new because the price of used examples was almost the same as a new one. Problem free at 4,000 miles. I've been reading the posts on NAM and the few problems reported are usually restricted to a few cars. Mini owners seem to be childish in many cases. Naming their cars and writing endless rants about needing to wipe stains off of trim and which colors are the fastest seems silly to me.
I’m very satisfied with my car. It’s far too computerized for my tastes but it works well enough and the calculated fuel economy is over 40 miles per gallon.

Attachments

• 1stMiniPic 021B.jpg
    1stMiniPic 021B.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 2
I have always WANTED a Mini but being the designated driver for family outings and my daughter's endeavours, was never able to make the leap from the mini-VAN....until recently :D

That is 6 weeks ago to be precise....and I have not been out of it since I got it....Ok....so I HAVE been out of it, but I DO drive it everywhere!!

It's is an orange convertible (my DW wanted me to use it as this year's pumpkin :duh: ).....and it is without a doubt the most FUN car that I have ever driven....and with gas hitting $3 a gal around here, it seems that I may have gotten it at the right time (only wish my investing instincts were this good!!)

Used....2005 Mini Cooper Convertible - just under 39K miles....5 speed,new tires, new top (her grandkid had dropped a tonka toy car where it bent the frame....but the seller told me that even so, it cost her ZERO to have it fixed!).....I had it state inspected (even though it did not need it for 4 more months) and changed the oil and had it "gone over" and was happy to find that it needed NOTHING!

I love the way it handles....my teenage daughter enjoys the heated seats :cool: ....and I use the "sunroof" portion of the convertible top OFTEN.....for those that do not know, the top pulls back (fans back) about 30 inches to offer you a view without having to put the top totally down....

As you can tell, I am a delighted new owner and would recommend this car to anyone who can get in and out of it :rolleyes: .....which is another reason I decided to "get it now" at 53....not so sure how I'll be movin' at 63!

I wish that I could offer more personal guidance on upkeep and maintenance, but each of my clients (guess that should be former clients as I have RE'd) that have owned them (some since 2000) offered few if any problems...one family even owns three of them!!

I should add here that I choose to drive "Mini-Me" (we had to name it something :angel:) over my Toyota Sienna van or the BMW 325I every day....at least so far.....

I can only hope that you will enjoy yours (should it come to pass) half as much as I have enjoyed this one!!

PS....sounds like your Dad is a keeper!!

I've heard the black ones are the fastest :D

My problem is that NO ONE seems to be willing to give a cent off MSRP. Won't even throw in floor mats!! Even if it is my dad paying for it I have an issue with that.

If you want a reliable convertible, have you thought of a Miata? They are cute and Consumer Reports loves 'em. :D

(Other than that, I don't know much about convertibles).

I did drive a Miata and they are nice and from what I hear very reliable but I have 2 German Shepherds's that ride with me a lot so I need a backseat. The mini's backseat is small but it folds down and makes a perfect doggy seat.

Everyone I know loves theirs.........however, it doesn't seem like it would do too well in an accident, a Miata either.......:(

Actually, in the crash tests Mini's did very well, not sure about Miatas.

Did you go look? ;)

Finally remembered and YES....they do fold flat (from the trunk area) but other than being able to carry something a little longer, not really that much more room....especially for canine extraordinaire! :D

Everyone I know loves theirs.........however, it doesn't seem like it would do too well in an accident, a Miata either.......:(

It's purely anecdotal but a friend of mine who drives a cooper S was hit at a stoplight by a minivan going 35-40mph. Not only did he walk away from the accident, but the car wasn't even totaled.

That being said, they fare pretty well according to the crash tests.

Back
Top Bottom