Are We Alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The masses and orbits of planets can be derived from radial velocity measurements. If you want to observe a planet close to a star you have to use a coronagraph, to date several jupiter class exo-planets have been directly observed by the new class of 8m telescopes.
Can you explain what a coronagraph is and how it works?Not only for the benefit of myself but for those who are interested also.By IR telescopes meaning Infra Red?

I believe our government probraly has the evidence of extraterestrial intelligence visiting Earth.

Such thinking has always amused and confused me. I'm surprised that people will so willingly believe that their government is capable of such vast conspiracies and coverups, yet that same government couldn't get Bradley Manning or Edward Snowden to keep their mouths shut, or keep the indiscretions of some hard-partying Secret Service agents off the front page, or keep Monica Lewinski quiet, or coverup Anthony Weiner, or Eliot Spitzer, or keep a hundred other embarrassments under wraps. Yet you'll believe that that same government has evidence of alien life visiting Earth, and (for some bizarre reason), doesn't want us to know about it? That they displayed unprecedented multi-level/multi-agency governmental cooperation? And has been successful at keeping such a secret for decades? With no one talking? No jilted contractors, no loose-lipped scientists seeking fame and notoriety, no incompetent fools accidentally leaving some evidence exposed, nobody with a guilty conscience, no deathbed confessions ... nothing.

I'm inspired by your desire to remain fooled.

It is impossible for me to determine which Planets they think they have found around other Stars is accurate data and which is not.

So you conclude they must be lying? While you may lack the intelligence and education to double-check their findings, surely someone else out here must be able to sift through their data and either confirm it or expose it as bunk, don't you think? What possible purpose would they have for launching such telescopes into space in the first place, and then completely faking all of their results?

Isn't it instead far more likely that these simple scientists are simply doing what they've always dreamed of doing, and exploring the cosmos? Just because you can't understand the (admittedly advanced) physics they're using to make these discoveries doesn't mean it's not possible.

Last edited:
Can you explain what a coronagraph is and how it works?Not only for the benefit of myself but for those who are interested also.By IR telescopes meaning Infra Red?

A coronagraph is one or a number of opaque disks that get mounted in a telescope to block the bright central light from an object. Maybe you've seen those images of the halo (corona) around the Sun with the Sun itself blocked by a black disc...those are corongraphic images.

Yep IR is Infra-Red.

I don't know. Seems we're unable to determine what intelligent life is IMHO. We've observed whales and dolphins for all of man's existence. Now we're just starting to realize they may have real intelligence. How many years did that take? Heck maybe out of this world life has contacted them, maybe the aliens realize what real intelligence is. Mankind is too absorbed in their perception of what intelligence is to recognize it when it's right in front of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Such thinking has always amused and confused me. I'm surprised that people will so willingly believe that their government is capable of such vast conspiracies and coverups, yet that same government couldn't get Bradley Manning or Edward Snowden to keep their mouths shut, or keep the indiscretions of some hard-partying Secret Service agents off the front page, or keep Monica Lewinski quiet, or coverup Anthony Weiner, or Eliot Spitzer, or keep a hundred other embarrassments under wraps. Yet you'll believe that that same government has evidence of alien life visiting Earth, and (for some bizarre reason), doesn't want us to know about it? That they displayed unprecedented multi-level/multi-agency governmental cooperation? And has been successful at keeping such a secret for decades? With no one talking? No jilted contractors, no loose-lipped scientists seeking fame and notoriety, no incompetent fools accidentally leaving some evidence exposed ... nothing.

So you conclude they must be lying? While you may lack the intelligence and education to double-check their findings, surely someone else out here must be able to sift through their data and either confirm it or expose it as bunk, don't you think? What possible purpose would they have for launching such telescopes into space in the first place, and then completely faking all of their results?

Isn't it instead far more likely that these simple scientists are simply doing what they've always dreamed of doing, and exploring the cosmos? Just because you can't understand the (admittedly advanced) physics they're using to make these discoveries doesn't mean it's not possible.
Bizarre reason?Please.Look,all goverments of the World want to be the ones who have the technology that others don't.They do not want to share.They want to study,develop and try and build on whatever information they have.No one trusts anyone else.We all want proof.Where it probraly lies in the same place that doesn't want it released.There are people who have come forward and claimed alien beings are real.Bob Lizar and Boyd Bushman are two I can think of right away.I don't feel our government has done a great job at concealing the truth.A decent job maybe,but great,not a chance.You seem to assume we have Space telescopes that can identify and photograph Planets around other Stars with great ease and accuracy.They cannot.For one thing all the projects that we have done in Space with Cameras were not designed to do that.It is coming.Do not look down on me for what I believe.You cannot prove what I believe is not true just as I cannot prove it is true.

Saw this on Facebook

Attachments

• 262656_501957106511450_748557911_n.jpg
    262656_501957106511450_748557911_n.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1
Such thinking has always amused and confused me. I'm surprised that people will so willingly believe that their government is capable of such vast conspiracies and coverups, yet that same government couldn't get Bradley Manning or Edward Snowden to keep their mouths shut, or keep the indiscretions of some hard-partying Secret Service agents off the front page, or keep Monica Lewinski quiet, or coverup Anthony Weiner, or Eliot Spitzer, or keep a hundred other embarrassments under wraps. Yet you'll believe that that same government has evidence of alien life visiting Earth, and (for some bizarre reason), doesn't want us to know about it? That they displayed unprecedented multi-level/multi-agency governmental cooperation? And has been successful at keeping such a secret for decades? With no one talking? No jilted contractors, no loose-lipped scientists seeking fame and notoriety, no incompetent fools accidentally leaving some evidence exposed, nobody with a guilty conscience, no deathbed confessions ... nothing.

No I do not conclude they are lying.Not at all.I just wonder about the accuracy of the information they claim at such great Cosmic distances.I never once said that any Planet detection is not possible.Not once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom