Are You A Christmas Scrooge?

This is our solution for giftees who already have plenty of stuff. Consumables, such as foods or show tickets, means there won't be any lingering clutter.

I hadn't thought of it that way but this describes the majority of my gifts- Christmas and otherwise. Every year I give DS and DDIL a Costco Executive Club membership. I've mentioned the Sugar Plum Fairy Ball; I also take the 2 older kids on "outings" including taking the 5-year old to Chicago a couple of times this year. When I travel on my own I try to bring them local foods (plantain chips from Mexico, macadamia nuts from Hawaii). Very little impacts on landfills.:D

Seriously I'm having a hard time with this.

Yikes, sorry. It was meant in humor, just a safe place to vent my internal feelings instead of always putting on a public happy face.

Yes, I help with the decorations, attend the dinners, graciously accept the gifts, and adhere to the traditions we've had over the years. That doesn't mean I always enjoy them. This year I took my wife to see Christmas lights at the zoo, and two other local light displays. I took her to a Scandinavian Christmas Fair, and to a large Christmas bazaar. All at my request, so it's not like I'm trying to avoid the holidays entirely.

Obviously, a person who enjoys social gatherings will never understand what it's like for people who find them uncomfortable, or how it's not that easy to just "start a conversation". I do my best to fit in, but that's just not the way I'm wired, so it causes a great deal of stress.

Surely you've had to do things in life that you didn't enjoy, but went along with anyway for the sake of others? If not you've either been extremely lucky, or very self centered.

In any case, I'm happy you enjoy the holiday traditions and wish you a very Merry Christmas. My apologies if I offended you.

If I get a gift I cannot use or like I take it to a thrift store. I don’t worry about it.

I have a scroogey idea for Christmas gifts that fulfills those dopamine-driven desires to seek for and find good things, usually fulfilled by shopping for and opening presents:

On Christmas eve, hide your loved ones' car keys and wallets!

Yikes, sorry. It was meant in humor, just a safe place to vent my internal feelings instead of always putting on a public happy face.

Yes, I help with the decorations, attend the dinners, graciously accept the gifts, and adhere to the traditions we've had over the years. That doesn't mean I always enjoy them. This year I took my wife to see Christmas lights at the zoo, and two other local light displays. I took her to a Scandinavian Christmas Fair, and to a large Christmas bazaar. All at my request, so it's not like I'm trying to avoid the holidays entirely.

Obviously, a person who enjoys social gatherings will never understand what it's like for people who find them uncomfortable, or how it's not that easy to just "start a conversation". I do my best to fit in, but that's just not the way I'm wired, so it causes a great deal of stress.

Surely you've had to do things in life that you didn't enjoy, but went along with anyway for the sake of others? If not you've either been extremely lucky, or very self centered.

In any case, I'm happy you enjoy the holiday traditions and wish you a very Merry Christmas. My apologies if I offended you.

I can especially relate to the bolded (mine) above.

P.S. Don't worry about someone who accuses you of getting bent out of shape, then proceeds to show how bent out of shape they are. :LOL:

I'm not big on social gatherings either and don't talk much. But it is fun listening to conversations and always remember alcohol makes everything better.

Be interesting by being interested

If you’re not interested, you’re not interesting

This explains both people who keep to themselves and chatterboxes equally

Be interesting by being interested

If you’re not interested, you’re not interesting

This explains both people who keep to themselves and chatterboxes equally

This sounds like an oversimplification. I have a BIL who dominates the conversation at every family gathering, no matter who is hosting or who else is present. He talks incessantly about himself and his family and shows no interest in anyone else or their lives. I'm not exaggerating when I say he can talk for 3 hours non-stop and any attempt by someone else to speak for 10 seconds about a topic that doesn't involve him or his family is quickly thwarted by him opening his mouth again and talking right over the person who tried in vain to divert the conversation away from him. After awhile, no one is interested, but that doesn't mean they, themselves, aren't interesting.

This sounds like an oversimplification. I have a BIL who dominates the conversation at every family gathering, no matter who is hosting or who else is present. He talks incessantly about himself and his family and shows no interest in anyone else or their lives. I'm not exaggerating when I say he can talk for 3 hours non-stop and any attempt by someone else to speak for 10 seconds about a topic that doesn't involve him or his family is quickly thwarted by him opening his mouth again and talking right over the person who tried in vain to divert the conversation away from him. After awhile, no one is interested, but that doesn't mean they, themselves, aren't interesting.

Sounds like my sis. DW cannot stand she will talk over everyone to DW but stare directly at me while she talks. #awkward.

My step Son In Law is this person! Thank You for posting this! :D

Well, the word "Holiday" has "holy" in it, and that definitely has a religious connotation.

I could be wrong, as I am no linguistic expert.

And the Europeans have used the word "holiday" to mean personal vacation time. Very strange.

And you could be right.....

While "holiday" does contain the letters h, o, l and y, I'm having trouble tuning into the holiness of some holidays such as Independence Day (alias the 4th of July) or Sweetest Day.

BTW, "holiday" also contains the letters o, l and d. ;)

Anyway, society's celebrations are, thankfully, open to being celebrated as each of us pleases within the constraints of the law, civility and the DW. So, on we go........ Merry Christmas!

And you could be right.....

While "holiday" does contain the letters h, o, l and y, I'm having trouble tuning into the holiness of some holidays such as Independence Day (alias the 4th of July) or Sweetest Day.

BTW, "holiday" also contains the letters o, l and d. ;)

Anyway, society's celebrations are, thankfully, open to being celebrated as each of us pleases within the constraints of the law, civility and the DW. So, on we go........ Merry Christmas!
A Merry Christmas to us all; God bless us, every one! :)

I'm not big on social gatherings either and don't talk much. But it is fun listening to conversations and always remember alcohol makes everything better.

We are kindred spirits in that regard RobbieB! Despite much of my career requiring that I be in front of people and communicating with large numbers of direct reports, on my own time I'm pretty much a wall flower. But I do enjoy listening to others and following along. The only part that bothers me a little bit is if someone points out that I'm being quiet.

Spirits, wine or beer fit into seasonal gathers just fine......... :angel:

We are kindred spirits in that regard RobbieB! Despite much of my career requiring that I be in front of people and communicating with large numbers of direct reports, on my own time I'm pretty much a wall flower. But I do enjoy listening to others and following along. The only part that bothers me a little bit is if someone points out that I'm being quiet.

Why would someone pointing out that you’re quiet bother you?

When you’re a “wall flower” you ARE being quiet

I don't decorate the house. I haven't even put up a tree in twenty years. The wife and I don't have children so we don't buy many gifts. My wife has family out of state so she goes there for Christmas. I don't have any family other than wife so I stay at home and take care of the animals. I'm happy. I do kinda sound like a Scrooge though.

Unfortunately, that is not allowed at our family gatherings....
You live in Washington State. You have other alternatives that could be used and no one would be the wiser except for maybe your uncontrolled laughter.

Cheers!

Living across country has it’s perks. A few years ago we bought a couple of Star Showers instead of Christmas lights. We put up an artificial tree. 25 years ago inherited a set of Dickens ceramic houses and put them up on top of the entertainment center. All lit up on a timer. Electric candles in the windows too. We try to set up Thanksgiving weekend and take down within a week after New Year’s Day.

My mother-in-law knitted a personalized stocking for DH when he was born and DS when he was born. I got a matching knitted stocking for myself. In the stockings go scratch off lottery tickets and occasionally other things if we think of stuff.

Occasionally my sister will send some Washington State smoked salmon, but otherwise no gifts for every relative. If DS marries and has kids, there will be more gifts flowing.

I cook turkey on Thanksgiving and something else festive on Christmas. We only eat dessert on Thanksgiving.

Sometimes we go bowling Thanksgiving or Christmas evening. It’s all simple and low key.

My next door neighbors are going on a Caribbean cruise over Christmas with their teenage kids. They’ll have a blast.

I’m glad we settled into a small Christmas. It is enjoyable and works for us.

No Christmas Scrooge here - why, I was just listening to the radio, and they had that Rocky The Snowman, or somesuch, song on. Didn't catch all the words but I imagine Rocky beat the crap out of the other snowmen.

Or was that Rudolph?

I'm pretty much done with gift giving except for small items for spouse...everyone else is getting charitable gifts in their name...cows, chickens, etc. to 3rd world villages.

Back
Top Bottom