Are you frugal or are you stingy?

Cute 'n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
5%-10% on a $6-8 buffet indicates that the $1 rule I use for these is in effect.  But I dont know why I would increase a percentage for a 4-5 star restaurant when the bill is already well inflated to accommodate a decent 15%.

When I had money out the wazoo, I usually tipped 20%+.  Waiting is a hard job and they frequently have to split tips with busboys and others in the restaurant.
That 4-5 star price is "just" for the higher-quality food and the extensive chef training. (Gosh, I can't believe I got that out with a straight face.) The tip % probably reflects the much more extensive training & experience of the servers compared to, say, Chili's.

I object to fancy restaurants for their implied obligation to play dress-up. I don't enjoy eating in a place where I'm expected to wear a coat & tie, let alone pants, socks, & shoes. If I'm gonna get dressed up for a restaurant, it should be with a lobster bib or for tables covered in butcher paper & buckets of crabs.

Thats why I liked moving from the bay area to the sacramento area. "Dress up" for the couple of local decent high end restaurants turned into a polo shirt and clean jeans.

Up here in Yuba City, you're pretty well dressed up if you're wearing pants. And the oil stains are made by 10w30 or lower viscosity.

. . . Up here in Yuba City, you're pretty well dressed up if you're wearing pants. . .

Local customs about dress vary significantly from place to place. In Boston, you're considered part a vagrant if you're tie is last year's style. In Yuba city, pants is a statement of dressed up. In unclemick's house, pants are an insurance policy against dog bites. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

justin said:
You could put out a few $1 bills on the table (whatever is required to make 15%).  Then add or subtract as the meal progresses depending on the service received.  Let the waiter figure out when the pile gets to zero :)

I had that happen to me twice.  Both times I told the guy to put the money back in his pocket.  One actually asked why.  :duh:

You figure out what kind of service they received.

Anyone read waiterrant.net ?
Samantha

kahless said:
I had that happen to me twice.  Both times I told the guy to put the money back in his pocket.  One actually asked why.  :duh:
You figure out what kind of service they received.
Anyone read waiterrant.net ?
Samantha
Should we be a little nervous about tip advice from someone whose poster name resembles the legendary Klingon warrior?

A number of years ago I stopped giving money to beggars altogether and started tipping 25%+ every time instead. I often tip a lot more than that (sometimes around 100%), and it always depends on the quality of service. Those people need the money too, and they don't get sympathy or social assistance, and they're working their butts off and have to put up with a lot of jerks.

cool dood,

I do the same for the same reasons.

Heh.  I thought that too and decided it was waaay too nerdy to make a comment... ;)
Eh, thank goodness I on the scene!

I think the Geek Squad's jet pack is incredibly cool, too.

Nords said:
Should we be a little nervous about tip advice from someone whose poster name resembles the legendary Klingon warrior?

It's the dog's name.  It seemed a good idea at the time.
But he hasn't exactly lived up to it - maybe because he doesn't watch the show?

Samantha

Attachments

• Kahless&HisCat.JPG
    Kahless&HisCat.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Kahless&HisCat.JPG_thumb
    22.8 KB · Views: 0
It usually costs us about $17 at the Chinese Buffet, so we leave them $3. They bring us silverware and water and the bill at the end. We go there once every month or two.

Breakfast each Saturday runs us $14-15, and we leave them $4. That's about 26%, but they have our Mountain Dew on the table as soon as we sit down, and they keep them refilled. The staff there is great. Once in awhile they'll be training someone new, but we always give them 2 chances before we talk to the management and/or lower the tip. Service always improves once they have been working there a few weeks and have figured out the job.

Other than that, we tip about 20% normally. 15% if service is mediocre.

Back
Top Bottom