Attacked by a goose

Ronstar

Moderator Emeritus
Yesterday I biked to work to save a few $ and get a little exercise. The bike trail is next to a canal through a rural area. There were about 10 families of geese on or near the path and the adult geese would hiss when I rode by - maybe 10 feet away. There was one area where the trail was between the canal and a swamp, and 2 families of geese were camped in the middle of the trail. I stopped to wait for them to move, since I couldn't get around them. They weren't moving, so after 10 or so minutes, I rode through about 5 feet from the geese. The first adult goose starting chasing me and the second took flight and landed on my back, pecking at my backpack.

Maybe I'll just drive from now on.

...The first adult goose starting chasing me and the second took flight and landed on my back, pecking at my backpack.

Maybe I'll just drive from now on.

Maybe you should have ducked.

At age five(Kindergarten) the bus let us off at the start of our gravel road - used to pull a picket off the Norwegian widow's fence and walked home armed - given my size at 5 - I considered it fair to beat the crap out of the geese that got out of the neighbors fence half way home.

Someone ratted me out - after fences got mended all round - guess whose Dad paddled whose bottom.

Never liked geese.

heh heh heh - :D. Still don't know who reported me to dear old Dad.

As a farm kid, I recall being attacked by a goose and gander when I got to close to the goslings; I screamed and Mother came and saved me.

Swans are really nasty, and can break human bones.

If you try to run the goose gauntlet again, try not to egg them on this time.

Sorry. Really.

Whenever I see people chased by a goose or a swan, I have to wonder whether a whack to the head or grabbing them by their skinny necks would slow the animals down. I know that's not so simple when you're riding a bike.

As the song says, I ain't afraid a no goose.

I think they rely a lot on the startle factor, although I have to admit that I've never been bitten by a goose. When I was about 17 I was in rhode island hanging out at my girlfriends parents boat when a bunch of geese decided that her lab was a threat and went after it. They drove it into the ocean and when it got over its head and started paddling, started pecking at its face.

I went flying in, windmilling my arms and they dispersed pretty quick. I had a moments thought of me and the dog, both treading water while geese pecked at us. Wasnt really the way I wanted to go out.

Fortunately they decided to keep their distance. The dog wanted nothing to do with the geese ever again.

Same thing happened with my littlest cat when we moved to the new neighborhood and she caught her first look at the wild turkeys and all their little turkey chicks. She went off in a stalking posture. Next day when I let her out and she spotted them, she slunk around the corner to the back yard. I'm guessing momma turkey gave her the business.

Turkeys aren't to me messed with either. I was severely scolded when I was probably 4 years old after entering a turkey pen. I was attacked by a rooster when I was young...scratched my back. Guess I don't have a way with birds.

I don't know what the problem is, I've been goosed plenty of times. I like it. :D

Mason Williams

How about Them Moose Goosers,
Ain't they recluse?
Up in them boondocks,
Goosin' them moose.

Goosin' them huge moose,
Goosin' them tiny,
Goosin' them meadow-moose
In the hiney.

Look at Them Moose Goosers,
Ain't they dumb?
Some use an umbrella,
Some use a thumb.

There's an obtuse Moose Gooser,
Sneakin' through the woods,
Pokin' them snoozy moose
In they goods.

How to be a Moose Gooser?
It'll turn ye puce.
Gitchy gooser loose and
Rouse a drowsy moose!

Careful with the anti geese talk. Otherwise you goose might get cooked...

Geese can be a scourge in the PNW. They congregate in grassy areas in parks leaving huge quantities of droppings and denying use to all other creatures.

Geese defend their territory well. Domesticated flocks weed mint fields and farmers have been known to use them as city folks use a Pit Bull. They make a lot of noise when strangers approach and will attack strangers on foot.

There is no adequate natural process to keep the wild population in check and they are protected from human predation. I like geese, in moderation, but what concerns me is their potential to be an avian virus vector.

There is no adequate natural process to keep the wild population in check and they are protected from human predation. I like geese, in moderation, but what concerns me is their potential to be an avian virus vector.
I live on a lake with a wide park-like area of trees and grass around it leading up to my house. Geese and ducks abound, and while I enjoy looking at them, I prefer to keep any interactions at a distance from my house. They lay eggs in the bushes, trample the gardens (they don't just eat weeds - they like flowers as well), poop everywhere, beg for food at the back door (one duck has learned to knock on the door with her bill, or climb on the fence and peer into the kitchen window) and the geese can be a major pain.

Solution? Underpowered BB gun. When the crowds in my yard get too thick (40-50 at a time) or they start fighting, have wild rambunctious sex under my office window, or the geese get territorial and try to attack me in my own yard, I dig out the BB gun and plink them in their feathery little butts. They learn well and when they see me with the BB gun they start hauling butt down to the lake.

*Do not attempt this at home. Closed course with professional marksman. No real birds were harmed in the making of this post. BB gun underpowered to the extent that they bounce off geese and ducks butts without penetrating. Past performance is no indication of future returns. It's legal here, but may be against the law where you live.

My next door neighbor has attack geese guarding his property. They have hair triggers and bad attitudes. They can hear me open my gate from 800' away and start going nuts.

My in-laws used to live on a farm and had several domestic geese that were very aggresive. I would walk out of my way to avoid them but they still often would travel several hundred feet to confront me. I hated those geese! But one glorious day, my father in law said it was time to get out of the goose raising business and called the family together for a butchering extraveganza! The nasty geese were cornered in a barn, a noose was slipped over their heads using a long pole and yours truly was the designated axe man:bat: Bwaa-ha-ha-ha!!!

Geese can be a scourge in the PNW. They congregate in grassy areas in parks leaving huge quantities of droppings and denying use to all other creatures.

There's a park near me that allows the gees around a certain part of the lake, but not around the walkways, buildings, other part of the lake. How? The have a full-time goose dog. This guy has trained his dog to chase the gees back to their assigned area. The dog is there every day, and the city pays this guy quite a bit of money for the service. It would be a really good job for somebody that loves animals.

So maybe this is how the game duck duck goose came about. Evil overlord geese attacked children. While the docile ducks played nicely. The evil goose is the chaser while the ducks flee for safety...

Sometimes my mediocre genius impresses myself.

So maybe this is how the game duck duck goose came about. Evil overlord geese attacked children. While the docile ducks played nicely. The evil goose is the chaser while the ducks flee for safety...
I'm not sure that ducks can't be corrupted. We have taken to naming them (Guinevere is the one who knocks on the door for bread crumbs) to tell the players apart. There is a group of three or four white geese with a much smaller, mostly black duck that travels as a "gang" trying to act bad. The duck acts just like a goose so we named him after a South Park character, Token Black, AKA Token Williams.

903_congrats_token.jpg

Geese who linger long in a lake pollute that too.

Humm... the Eagles in my neighborhood have been putting on a show recently. Maybe that is why the geese pass us by.

Back
Top Bottom