Autosocks

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We don't get much snow in my area and when it does snow I normally stay home. Driving in show is tough enough with in my very hilly area. Add in the idiots on the road and even a perfectly safe snow driver can be involved in an accident.

I do no like putting on chains, even in the garage. A friend recommended Autosocks. I would keep them for emergency use only.

If you have used Autosocks what do you think of them?

I live in Colorado and have used them for our vehicles. I have had to use them once and they worked very well.

They aren’t durable like other chain systems so they aren’t for high speeds or long-term use, but for emergency use in snow they are great.

Interesting... never heard of them. I have a few sets of chains and cables collected over the years. Around here, kids love the forecast of snow... NO SCHOOL....
Growing up in NY, it meant I had to get up early and help my mother put chains on the school bus.

I live in Colorado and have used them for our vehicles. I have had to use them once and they worked very well.

They aren’t durable like other chain systems so they aren’t for high speeds or long-term use, but for emergency use in snow they are great.

"High speeds"?? most chains are limited to 25-30 mph in use

Yeah, I lived in CO for years so used chains up in the hills (mostly) for years.... also was out in/near the Cascades and had 3 1/2 - 4 foot snowstorms- - even if you get out you better have some good chains. (I was helping to deliver Rx and food in that time to those who couldn't get out; unfortunately, some of those individuals couldn't rake their roof, and I didn't have the time nor inclination (especially if something went wrong) to do anyone else's but my own... and some lost their roof.
AFA those other varieties of "traction devices", they "might" be good for temporary use but a good pair of standard chains, properly sized for tires and with tensioners, would be more reliable.

"High speeds"?? most chains are limited to 25-30 mph in use

Yeah, I lived in CO for years so used chains up in the hills (mostly) for years.... also was out in/near the Cascades and had 3 1/2 - 4 foot snowstorms- - even if you get out you better have some good chains. (I was helping to deliver Rx and food in that time to those who couldn't get out; unfortunately, some of those individuals couldn't rake their roof, and I didn't have the time nor inclination (especially if something went wrong) to do anyone else's but my own... and some lost their roof.

AFA those other varieties of "traction devices", they "might" be good for temporary use but a good pair of standard chains, properly sized for tires and with tensioners, would be more reliable.

It all depends on their purpose. As I mentioned, I’ve used them once in decades of winter/mountain driving. If you plan to regularly drive on forest service roads or drive right after 3-4 foot storms (no one here does) then yes, standard chains are best. I have a set for my truck that I throw in when I know I’m going out in conditions like that. Otherwise my Bizzaks do a wonderful job in anything short of a blizzard.

Auto socks are for what I would call emergency use. Different products for different uses.

I've never used them. I have a 4wd truck and Jeep and both have handled the snows in northern Illinois without any help.

But I could see getting Autosocks for DW's car in case of a snow emergency. Not sure if she could put them on though.

When I lived up North, we used snow tires in the winter.
Never used chains, but still when you go out every day, sometimes you get stuck. Then a shovel and pushing to get going again.

Now we just stay inside if it's really bad out, and shovel the driveway though out the day.

Hmm, I wonder if auto socks would have worked for us yesterday? We drove to the mountains and into a snow park that had about 12 inches of fresh powder on top of frozen ground/ice. Not a big issue getting IN the parking area with the 4x4 F150 with snow tires and pulling a 2 sled aluminum trailer (about 1400 pounds including the sleds) but once in the lot it bogged down and the truck got stuck. I unloaded the sleds to make the trailer lighter and then drove the sleds around and around for 5 min to make a packed down path in front of the truck to the exit. This sort of helped but I still had to shovel snow out from in front of the truck tires four times before I could get it back on top of the snow I had packed down with the snowmobiles.

Would socks have been easy to use here? I had chains but didn't feel like getting down and dirty hooking them up for such a short (100 foot) distance.

Hmm, I wonder if auto socks would have worked for us yesterday? We drove to the mountains and into a snow park that had about 12 inches of fresh powder on top of frozen ground/ice. Not a big issue getting IN the parking area with the 4x4 F150 with snow tires and pulling a 2 sled aluminum trailer (about 1400 pounds including the sleds) but once in the lot it bogged down and the truck got stuck. I unloaded the sleds to make the trailer lighter and then drove the sleds around and around for 5 min to make a packed down path in front of the truck to the exit. This sort of helped but I still had to shovel snow out from in front of the truck tires four times before I could get it back on top of the snow I had packed down with the snowmobiles.

Would socks have been easy to use here? I had chains but didn't feel like getting down and dirty hooking them up for such a short (100 foot) distance.

Not sure. They worked well the time I used them on my car but I wasn't towing anything. It probably depends on how stuck you were. If there was only a little less traction than needed, they probably would have. If you were slipping badly, they may not be enough with that load.

But I could see getting Autosocks for DW's car in case of a snow emergency. Not sure if she could put them on though.

I actually see this as an advantage of the socks. They are really easy to put on if you follow the instructions. I have a lot of experience with standard chains (I owned a farm) and most people would have trouble putting them on properly. I also had a set of the "wire" tension chains for my truck at one point and I definitely think they would be a challenge for someone who hadn't practiced.

No system is perfect, but these work well for people that aren't used to putting on chains.

One case where these definitely wouldn't work:

I once dropped a wheel into a ditch on the side of a forest service road. there is no way I was getting out without "real" chains. Luckily I actually had some in my truck and I got out. They sure weren't a lot of fun to put on in a ditch though!

Growing up in NY, always kept strips of carpet and shovel in the trunk. clean off the snow, carpet side down on the ice and drive away.

Growing up in NY, always kept strips of carpet and shovel in the trunk. clean off the snow, carpet side down on the ice and drive away.

That works? The carpet doesn't just get shot out the other side like a tennis ball in a thrower?

Now we just stay inside if it's really bad out, and shovel the driveway though out the day.

+1
One of the glories of RE (and FI) is that if it’s so nasty outside that you need to put chains on your car, it’s better to just turn up the thermostat and pour another glass of Scotch until the plow driver shows to do the driveway.

+1
One of the glories of RE (and FI) is that if it’s so nasty outside that you need to put chains on your car, it’s better to just turn up the thermostat and pour another glass of Scotch until the plow driver shows to do the driveway.

Yes, this is the best plan (I prefer bourbon though :D)

might work for some, but...

+1

well, that might work for some, but when I had to plow out over 750 ft of driveway just to get to the road.... not so much.
{...and no I didn't do anything to the rest of the acreage out back}

I had to use the Autosocks once a couple of years ago in the Colorado mountains. They actually are easy to put on and remove, and they definitely work.

I initially bought them because my car manufacturer does not recommend chains with my size tires, due to clearance issues, so I felt I still needed something. Only needed them for a few miles, but they got me out of a tough spot. Fully approved by the Colorado DOT.

Back
Top Bottom