Banning the Bulb

Use mostly CFLs, both to consume less juice, but also to generate less heat. Comes in real handy in August...

Use LEDs for nightlight and "don't stub your toe" applications.

Yep, I'm not excited with the idea of 15 easy bake oven elements running in my house when its 110 outside.

Theres also a huge domestic tranquility aspect. My wife is one of those folks that leaves every light in her path on as she travels around the house. I used to have to hike my pants up under my armpits and bellow "Who left these dang lights on?!?" and then grumble about the thermostat and kids on my lawn.

With the CFL's...eh...so what...leave them on.

Ok, you guys got me on the CFL kick. Over the weekend I installed 8 CFL's in outside yard fixtures that run from dusk till about 11 each evening. Previously these had 60 watt lamps on dimmers set to about 60% of full power. The CFL's I installed are 9 watt N:VISION lamps from Homer Depot (4 pack for $6.88. So far they're doing fine and come up to full brightness in about a minute at 25F. The package said they are good down to -20f. The 9 watt lamps are more than bright enough and almost equal the old 60 watt lamps at full power. There should be some real savings with the new lamps since I went from 480 watts down to 72 watts.

Just waiting on my dividend check from the power company. :D

Interesting that GE pays more per year for lobbing congress than all of "Big Oil " combined. Does this make them the new bad guys " Big Green" ?:D:D:D
>:D Maybe we've found the "smoking gun" - let's see
With a bazillion domiciles on the planet, and an average of 50 light bulbs per domicile (not counting exclusions), that's 50 bazillion replacement bulbs that are going to be strongly influenced or legislated to be replaced by 2012, at an average price of 50 cents (per CFB no hassle replacement value), that should equal GE stock price going back to it's old performance of splitting every couple of years......
Better add some GE to the long term value side. Might not hurt to add some Phillips as well for international flavor. ChaChing!
Combined with that dividend check from the power company per Uncle Honey, it's both short term and long term - WooHoo! ER is getting easier and easier.

replacement bulbs that are going to be strongly influenced or legislated to be replaced by 2012

But the law only says what can be sold -- there's no requirement or incentive for replacing existing lights that I saw.

But the law only says what can be sold -- there's no requirement or incentive for replacing existing lights that I saw.
Reminds me of the CFL commercial showing two kids playing in a room together.

One asks the other "Hey, how many kids does it take to change a light bulb?"
The other replies "Why would anyone need to change a light bulb?!?"

When they blow I just get another one at costco for 50c. I'm not too worried about getting my 8 years out of them.

I guess if they went out more often or I had more early failures than I had with incandescents, I'd be more vigilant.

But then maybe i've just been lucky. A lot of my CFL's are more than 5 years old and have been installed in 3 houses and moved with me. The two in my garage right now were in the house I bought in 1993.

wow, that's some lbym..taking the light bulbs with you! :eek:

Yep. Took a big box around the new house and put all the incandescents in it, took it up to the old house and removed all my cfl's and replaced with the regular bulbs from the new house, then on my next trip back, reinstalled the cfls there.

Why buy all new CFL's for the new house? Plus a fluorescent light comes off as "cheap" to some people, and in this buyers market I wanted every possible advantage. Big blazing 100 watt bulbs in every fixture.

Back
Top Bottom