Sodastream issue

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I went to BBB the other day to exchange my Sodastream canisters. Inventory is low in this area and I had to wait 3 weeks until they had stock. One of the canisters I brought in was empty, but still sealed. It had been here for a long while and I figured it had a slow leak.

To my surprise, most (>3/4) of the canisters (all sealed and sold as new) at BBB were very light, much like my empties. It’s pretty easy to tell there at the store, an empty canister weighs around 1.5 lbs and filled weighs around 2.5 lbs.

I informed the sales clerk, she just looked at me and shrugged, so I found 2 that felt full, did the exchange and went home. I weighed them at home and they were indeed full.

I wrote Sodastream to let them know most of the canisters being sold new were empty at this store. Not a complaint, more like an advisory. They didn’t respond to that point but asked for my address sent me 3 new filled canisters. I then did a web search and got an Sodastream Reddit with quite a few complaints about underfilled canisters.

My uneducated WAG is the canisters have been in use too long and are failing and probably need to replace the valve or a gasket. I wonder if other members have had a similar experience or have any insights to why so many canisters would be poorly filled or empty.

Last edited:
My uneducated WAG is the canisters have been in use too long and are failing and probably need to replace the valve or a gasket.

I gave up on Sodastream a few years ago because I just assumed it was a poorly designed product. It never occurred to me to suspect an issue like this, and mine just went to Goodwill and was forgotten. So I suspect your analysis is correct and more widespread than realized.

I wonder where people will take their Sodastream canisters to refill after BB&B finishes biting the dust? I've been looking at some of the hacks for filling my own from a larger beverage grade tank. Nobody around here does the replacement since our BB&B closed down.

I wonder where people will take their Sodastream canisters to refill after BB&B finishes biting the dust? I've been looking at some of the hacks for filling my own from a larger beverage grade tank. Nobody around here does the replacement since our BB&B closed down.

Do you have Target, Best Buy or BevMo?

Not nearby, but a half hour or so away. I didn't know they did the exchanges. I've always used BB&B. Thanks for the info.

We’ve been exchanging ours at a nearby Kohl’s. You go to the customer service counter. We usually have to explain the process to them as they do it rarely, but we get our full canisters!

Our Target is hit-or-miss on being able to exchange.

Didn’t know about Best Buy.

I went to BBB the other day to exchange my Sodastream canisters. Inventory is low in this area and I had to wait 3 weeks until they had stock. One of the canisters I brought in was empty, but still sealed. It had been here for a long while and I figured it had a slow leak.

To my surprise, most (>3/4) of the canisters (all sealed and sold as new) at BBB were very light, much like my empties. It’s pretty easy to tell there at the store, an empty canister weighs around 1.5 lbs and filled weighs around 2.5 lbs.

I informed the sales clerk, she just looked at me and shrugged, so I found 2 that felt full, did the exchange and went home. I weighed them at home and they were indeed full.

I wrote Sodastream to let them know most of the canisters being sold new were empty at this store. Not a complaint, more like an advisory. They didn’t respond to that point but asked for my address sent me 3 new filled canisters. I then did a web search and got an Sodastream Reddit with quite a few complaints about underfilled canisters.

My uneducated WAG is the canisters have been in use too long and are failing and probably need to replace the valve or a gasket. I wonder if other members have had a similar experience or have any insights to why so many canisters would be poorly filled or empty.

I wanted to try Sodastream a few years ago when I learned about it on this forum, but then promptly forgot until now.

Just went online to Sodastream Web site. They do exchange by mail. With the bottles coming directly from them, the mishap of leaky bottles should be minimized. However, the postage probably makes it cost more, compared to going to a local store. Does anybody know how much more?

I use the hack. Here is a link that will explain what you need to buy to making a bottle of soda.

While he orders a CO2 tank, places that sell gas will also have them for rent. This maybe easier since small tank refills may not be done everyday. The empty tank is swapped for the full one. Your first purchase includes the rental cost.

The tanks have been pressure tested and are dated. So. as long as your tank is ‘approved’ by the date stamped on it, the gas store will fill it or exchange it for a full tank.

CO2 is purified differently and you need to be sure to buy the CO2 that has been purified for human consumption.

This approach is more involved than the Soda Stream. But it is fairly quick ,easy and a cost savings.

Been carbonating our water for some years now. Use Perrier bottles (buy a case every six months as we go north and south). Drilled centered holes in the bottlecaps with the drillpress; the caps get reused for years. Install valvestems, like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Keenso-Rustp...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584070153176189&psc=1

I hit up the welding supply store for CO2. Think a 20# tank was about $20 back then. Use a gas regulator set to 50# or so. Been well over a year's use on this tank. Think all told I'm into the setup with gas for $160 or so. Plus $18x2 for a couple cases of Perrier, just to cycle the bottles and let us toss them when making our pilgrimages N&S. We bought gallon jugs of water for a while, but now just use tap. Leave a couple inches of headspace when filling with water. I refrigerate and shake and re-pressurize 3 times. We go through 12-14 bottles every 3 days. Nothing certified by any health authorities, but we ain't died yet...

Attachments

• airtank.jpg
    airtank.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 21
Our local supermarket has the bottles. I wonder if BBB is just unloading old stock in view of their current difficulties. Definitely a leaky/dry seal.

I thought BBB went out of business until I read this thread. BBB Canada is no more...

Sodastream issue

When I saw the thread title I thought it was a euphemism for a common health issue and thought it had been posted in the wrong forum :)

Sodastream issue

When I saw the thread title I thought it was a euphemism for a common health issue and thought it had been posted in the wrong forum :)
:)
Our local supermarket has the bottles. I wonder if BBB is just unloading old stock in view of their current difficulties. Definitely a leaky/dry seal.
I think BBB has the largest exchange business. What I don’t know is who does the refilling. BBB, Sodastream, or a regional contractor. Regardless of who does it, it appears they have a quality assurance issue.
We’ve been exchanging ours at a nearby Kohl’s. You go to the customer service counter. We usually have to explain the process to them as they do it rarely, but we get our full canisters!

Our Target is hit-or-miss on being able to exchange.

Didn’t know about Best Buy.
How does the Kohls price compare with other options. BBB is a $12 exchange when using their 20% off coupon. I know Sodastream also does mail exchange. The shipping fees are pretty high, and once the refill exchange price rises above $15 the economics of SodaStream are much less compelling.

I’ve seen the hacks mentioned, one other using dry ice that looks interesting. I think I’ll pass.

:)

I think BBB has the largest exchange business. What I don’t know is who does the refilling. BBB, Sodastream, or a regional contractor. Regardless of who does it, it appears they have a quality assurance issue.
How does the Kohls price compare with other options. BBB is a $12 exchange when using their 20% off coupon. I know Sodastream also does mail exchange. The shipping fees are pretty high, and once the refill exchange price rises above $15 the economics of SodaStream are much less compelling.

I’ve seen the hacks mentioned, one other using dry ice that looks interesting. I think I’ll pass.
It’s half price of the non-exchange bottle - standard exchange price. But we didn’t have a coupon.

We usually exchange two bottles at once, and the BBB coupon only applies to one item. So for us it would be 10% off. 2 refilled bottles and we’re good for many months.

We weren’t interested in the Sodastream mail exchange either because of the high shipping fees.

It’s half price of the non-exchange bottle - standard exchange price. But we didn’t have a coupon.

We usually exchange two bottles at once, and the BBB coupon only applies to one item. So for us it would be 10% off. 2 refilled bottles and we’re good for many months.

We weren’t interested in the Sodastream mail exchange either because of the high shipping fees.

I have no problem using 2 coupons for 2 exchanges at BBB. The fine print says one coupon per purchase but it is not enforced here.

They do enforce the one item limit at ours. We originally exchanged at BBB but Kohl’s is far more convenient.

I've just read on WSJ that BBB has filed for bankruptcy. That may be the reason their SodaStream cylinders were empty...?

I've been using Sodastream for several years and had no problem. During the depths of Covid many stores did not have them to exchange. I actually solved that by buying 2 new canisters from the manufacturer. I had 2 before that and now I have 4 which is fine.

We have traded in at BBB once I think. We usually trade at Target and have had no problems. Maybe a variance of a few ounces but very little. We also traded once or twice to a grocery store.

Originally did our sodastream exchanges at BBB, but switched a couple of years ago to Sodasense online delivery. No complaints. No isssues at all with the sodastream equipment by the way.

They provide the shipping box and you start with 3 cannisters. Once 2 are empty, you return the empties (pre-paid) via USPS. Pretty much as soon as USPS scans them in, new ones are shipped. When we got started, they took the sodastream empties we had.

cheers

Last edited:
Clarabell from Howdy Doody had an alternative that seemed to work quite well. Still available both vintage and new and use a CO2 cartridge. I have always been curious if it would work to make sparkling wine. :D

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom