Baseball 2024

In the News of the Weird, Baseball Edition, the exhibition game between the Cleveland Guardians and the Arizona Diamondbacks played in Chase Field (a domed stadium) in Phoenix AZ, last night, was called on account of rain.

While the stadium has a retractable roof, for safety reasons related to the cables that pull the roof closed they have a policy of not operating the roof while the stadium is occupied by fans. When it started pouring rain in the 6th inning last night the managers and the umpires huddled to decide what to do. Since the stadium has a roof it does not have tarps for covering the infield. Also it was obvious that the infield was not graded properly for drainage.

Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo said that since no one has ever played on the field when it was wet, they had no idea how it would play and suggested to avoid injuries in a game that doesn't really matter to call the game. The umpires agreed.

Chase Field converted to artificial turf from grass after the 2018 season.

The cables will be repaired after the baseball season is over this year.

Wow. And the roof has had that issue for two years now.

Yes, it has. They've just figured out a way to replace the cables without needing to replace the roof.

Looks beautiful when opened.

(Click on photo to enlarge.)

Chase-Field-Wallpaper-1920.jpg

Yes, it has. They've just figured out a way to replace the cables without needing to replace the roof.

Looks beautiful when opened.

Oh yeah. Been there several times and heading down next week for a Yankees game. Now I hope it doesn't rain!

Well the Astros are off to a great start. They blew a 4 to 0 lead and lost their first game of the season to the Yankees... I guess someone forgot to bring the trash cans to the game. :)

Kinda amazed the Yankees came back from down 0-4 today.
Of course on the way to squeaking out the 5-4 win, they left the bases loaded 3 times I think.

Still, was really nice to start the season with a win.

Go Rangers. Walk off in extra innings in the opener. Whew. It’s a long season. Hope they all aren’t that stressful. And bad call by the ump or they would’ve won it in 9.

Watched the Diamondbacks opening day game. They won 16-1. They scored 14 runs in the bottom of the third inning. They batted around TWICE in that inning. This was the most runs scored in an inning on opening day since 1900.

Astros have a perfect season so far... Haven't won a game yet.

Cautiously thinking the Yankees are a different (better) team this year.
Happy to see that there may be other legitimate hitters in addition to Judge.
I know it's early. But a girl can dream.

Cautiously thinking the Yankees are a different (better) team this year.
Happy to see that there may be other legitimate hitters in addition to Judge.
I know it's early. But a girl can dream.

Stanton is rumored to be done being a big hitter, but time will tell and he has said he worked hard over the layoff to get sharper. Judge is slow to start. It will be all about pitching for them.

I have switched to wearing Yankee monogramed shirts and retired my Astros ones. I may need to wear a bullet proof vest under the Yankee shirts around here.:LOL:

Guardians play at home Apr 8, but the eclipse will have ended by game time, MLB missed a chance for its first game played during a total solar eclipse

Texas Rangers opening a can of whoopastros! Lovin’ it.

Now Strider is injured, too. It's been known for decades that the inverted W style of pitching, with elbows pointing up immediately prior to delivery, is risky, but many pitchers keep doing it as a way to get more on the ball, which leads to bigger contracts.

Looks after some investigation, Ohtani is a victim and had no knowledge about the interpreter stealing his money to gamble. I'm glad.

Baseball is back.

Looks after some investigation, Ohtani is a victim and had no knowledge about the interpreter stealing his money to gamble. I'm glad.

Baseball is back.
I read that there were a number of games on which the translator bet against the Angels (or bet the over) and coincidentally Ohtani had a poor day at the mound and/or plate. I too hope Ohtani is a victim, but you never know.

It’s kind of ironic in a way. Even athletes face problems because of gambling, while at the same time the NHL is signing sponsorship deals with gambling companies [mod edit] It seems to me that it shouldn’t be like this...
Yeah but the gambling companies list help lines at the end of their ads!�� Agree about the irony, but another example of following the money to determine motive.

I read that there were a number of games on which the translator bet against the Angels (or bet the over) and coincidentally Ohtani had a poor day at the mound and/or plate. I too hope Ohtani is a victim, but you never know.

From what I've read, looks like the translator did an identity theft thing pretending to be Ohtani's. Changing alerts so Ohtani didn't even know activity was happening.

Ippei Mizuhara served as Ohtani's interpreter after Ohtani came to the U.S. to play baseball. Estrada says Mizuhara "acted as Mr. Ohtani's de facto manager."

Estrada says Mizuhara helped Ohtani set up a bank account for Ohtani's baseball salary. Estrada says Mizuhara stole more than $16 million US from Ohtani's bank accounts to pay for his own sports betting and lied to the bank to access the account.

"Due to the position of trust he occupied with Mr. Ohtanti" he was able to "use and abuse" that trust "in order to plunder Mr. Ohtani's bank account," Estrada said, also confirming that when Mizuhara would win on sports bets, he did not deposit the money into Ohtani's account.

"Mr. Mizuhara did all this to feed his insatiable appetite for illegal sports betting," Estrada said, adding the complaint alleges he committed fraud "on a massive scale."

Estrada says there is no evidence that Ohtani was aware of his interpreter's actions, adding that the baseball player has co-operated fully and completely with investigators.

"I want to emphasize this point: Mr. Ohtani is considered a victim in this case," he said.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/shohei-ohtani-interpreter-bank-fraud-1.7170900?cmp=rss

Astros win the series with Rangers

Glad to see the Astros bats have finally woken up. Also pitching has improved and finally won a few at home. Also nice to see them win the overall series with the Rangers. They are just 2.5 back of the Rangers now so hopefully it won't take long to lead the division.

Go Astros!! :clap:

Glad to see the Astros bats have finally woken up. Also pitching has improved and finally won a few at home. Also nice to see them win the overall series with the Rangers. They are just 2.5 back of the Rangers now so hopefully it won't take long to lead the division.

Go Astros!! :clap:
It's a double edged sword when the Rangers and Astros play. I want both to win.:blush:

Same with the UFL... 3 of the leagues 8 teams are Texas based. So you'd think the odds are pretty good that at least one would win every weekend... Well they all lost this weekend.:facepalm:

I'm not "into" baseball like I was when I was younger, however since two different Texas teams has won the world series in each of the past two years, it's sort of hard for me not to have "some level" of interest. I'll probably watch a little closer next year, at least as long as one of the Texas teams is doing well. :)

Geeeez - another one o' those "fair weather fans." :facepalm: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom