Beginner Telescope?

If you are near Seattle, I have a 10" Dobsonian Orion SkyQuest series in excellent condition. It is rather a monster, almost 5 feet long. All manual though..no auto tracking. They are pretty inexpensive for the quality, but there is no way I can fit this in our RV when we ER next year so I am trying to downsize everything.
Thanks, sounds like a nice 'scope.

I haven't given up on the Astroscan, which is readily portable and should get used.

I haven't given up on the Astroscan, which is readily portable and should get used.

I almost scooped up an Astroscan on ebay a couple days ago with a BuyItNow price of $75. In the 5 minutes I was thinking it over and decided to go for it someone else grabbed it.

I almost scooped up an Astroscan on ebay a couple days ago with a BuyItNow price of $75. In the 5 minutes I was thinking it over and decided to go for it someone else grabbed it.
Next time PM me! :LOL:
I found one on Craigslist at a good price, but it is 300 miles from me, so I'm still lookin'.

By the way, THE place to go for telescope classified ads on the 'net has been for years astromart. Probably caters more to the intermediate or advanced amateur, but I thought I'd post it for reference.
Looks good, but they want $15 a year just to join.

Update

After lots of internet research and a little compulsion, I bought a new scope. The new scope is an Orion Starblast. Unless you are a geek, quit reading now. :LOL: Some of what follows was pointed out by others, but I wanted to put together a synopsis in case anyone searching in the future has a similar question.

The Starblast is very similar to the Astroscan in operation, but instead of a ball joint type mount it uses a two axis adjustable mount to scan the sky. Like the Astroscan, it is very compact and can be stashed in a trunk and set up on a picnic table, which should make it more likely to actually get used.

Supposedly, the Astroscan is collimated (aligned) for life, but the mirror is tensioned in place by foam rubber. The best models are older US or Japanese models, but that means that the foam rubber has had more time to deteriorate. Also, if the scope was not aligned perfectly to begin with, you are kind of hosed. So, the beauty of the Astroscan is that it is all self contained and never needs adjusting, but that un-adjustability is also its major flaw. The Starblast is readily adjustable.

I bought the new one on Amazon. Amazon usually has several "used" versions of anything for sale at at least 10% off. These items, if fulfilled by Amazon, are actually new but in a scuffed package. I bought the "used" Starblast for $186 as opposed to $320 (shipped) for a new Astroscan. I did find a used Starblast 10 miles from me on eBay for $100, but it was dirty in the pictures and I had been warned about mold and mildew inside scopes stored in damp basements or garages, so I decided to splurge on new.

Sounds like a good little scope. I am not familiar with it but will have to check it out.

Looks like a great little scope and I'm sure you and your DW will have a great time with it. This time of year there are some great targets for widefield scopes, such as M42 (Great Nebula in Orion), M45 (Pleiades), M31 (Andromeda Galaxy), the Double Cluster in Perseus, and more. Not to mention simply sweeping the Milky Way.

Now, go forth and learn how to locate these things. That's half the fun!

Back
Top Bottom