Being Social in Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first moved to Florida I lived in a very close community with a clubhouse & a pool . It was fun for awhile but frankly it became too much . It felt like high school . The popular kids were invited to all the parties .Luckily I was one of the popular kids. I felt pressured to entertain and join committees about such interesting things as " Should bird feeders be allowed ?". It was nice to have people concerned about you & willing to help but some of the closeness IMO was over the top . I lived there married and as a young widow . My dating was a positive thing in that it kept people from worrying about their gallbladders .Instead they were speculating about the goings on in my house .:)

I think I would enjoy very much a gated retirement community of 55 and overs. I am 7 years away from that age, but my main problem is my dear GF is 18 years away from retirement though she is only a couple years younger than me. If she quit now, and we moved and lived off my income we wouldn't be able to afford to leave the house. So I will patiently wait. I hear many of these places, the population average is significantly higher than 55, so maybe we will fit right in.

Moemg said:
When I first moved to Florida I lived in a very close community with a clubhouse & a pool . It was fun for awhile but frankly it became too much . It felt like high school . The popular kids were invited to all the parties .Luckily I was one of the popular kids. I felt pressured to entertain and join committees about such interesting things as " Should bird feeders be allowed ?". It was nice to have people concerned about you & willing to help but some of the closeness IMO was over the top . I lived there married and as a young widow . My dating was a positive thing in that it kept people from worrying about their gallbladders .Instead they were speculating about the goings on in my house .:)

Your last two sentences surprised me Moemg. I thought you were going to write " ...It kept people from worrying about their gallbladders and became worried I was out to steal their husband." :) I have read that sometimes in those communities married women keep a suspicious eye on the single ladies.

My dating was a positive thing in that it kept people from worrying about their gallbladders .Instead they were speculating about the goings on in my house .:)

Sheesh... didn't know that was you, Maud... We had bets that you'd match up with Homer, but he moved to the Villages. :hide:

My husband and I may have just become very skilled at this, but maybe us nerdy birdy (and nature photographer) types get a pass because we're obviously always busy out chasing something exciting with our camera/binocs. We really have no trouble keeping out of the social events nor feeling pressure to entertain. Anyhow, we're indulged and it's lovely. Our main community responsibilities seem to be answering an occasional nature question, or my giving tours of my butterfly garden and dispensing plant advice. We can live with that.

You know, just like work (especially when FI), I think one can establish the terms under which one interacts with one's community.

I see this as a future option I'd like to explore. Any recommendations for testing the waters?

I'm another INTJ who doesn't find the idea of a community with all those activities at all attractive at the moment. Working in an office has forced me into more social contact than I feel I want or need, for years on end. These last few months telecommuting while I'm in treatment have been a real relief from much of that forced interaction. In fact, maybe that was (unconsciously) the reason I wanted to work remotely. I just didn't have the energy to deal with the overdose of social contact on top of treatment.

When I formally retire I think I will become a hermit for six months or a year and hardly ever come out of the house except to go to church on Sundays, to recharge my "alone time" battery. Then perhaps I will be ready to come out of my hole and start socializing. And though I don't find that community with onsite activities appealing now, I can see where I might in a couple of decades if it becomes more of a hassle to travel any distance to get to the events I want to go to. After all, even if I lived in such a place I wouldn't have to socialize. If I need some solo time I could stay in my room and not talk to anyone. That's why there's a lock on the door, right?

Last edited:
A log cabin near the top of a mountain in the Adirondaks, surrounded by barbed wire.
In truth, a wish to be a hermit. Away from neighbors, only venturing out to do solo (DW and I) traveling, camping, and whatever was necessary to satisfy hedonic pleasures. Two or three close friends, but never, never, to live in a place where there were neighbors

Well you had me there, I mean you described me pretty much to a tee and I was ready to join you or you join me here (not quite as isolated as your idea but close) but then as I read on.... :hide:

By the time I was done reading about all the activities I was worn out! Like W2R said "sounds like Hell on earth to me". How can I not agree with someone with such a lovely avatar! ;) But seriously I'm glad you like it it would be the death of me.

Tekward said:
I see this as a future option I'd like to explore. Any recommendations for testing the waters?

Many of these communities will offer you a 3 night stay package at a very reasonable cost to tour the community/facilities, probably with the condition you meet with a sales rep as part of the deal. I will do it after I hit the age of 55, and maybe get lucky enough to get to call it a vacation also with GF to make it a "cheap one" for me.

Several years of full-time RVing may have somewhat prepared us, as most RVers out there are retired folks.

But we avoided the winter snowbird RV parks, as the intense socializing wasn't our thing, they tended to be very close quarters, and we preferred to wander in winter and enjoy state parks, etc.

When we were ready to buy a house again, however, the 55+ community was in a terrific location*, the owners had invested a lot in the surrounding nature resources, we had plenty of our own private space with our house and lot, and we've never felt any pressure to be involved in the social activities. Many do participate and it's a big part of their winter season. Many do their own thing without impediment.

*Actually, it was the location and resources of the development that made us decide it made sense for us to buy a house again.

Thanks for all the input. I am 6 month away from ER.
I know that I have to push myself (and DH) to socialize.
It does not come easy to us but we know that we feel bad after a while if we allow us to become hermits.

As we do not have these retirement communities here I would love to visit some in the US when we travel. It will be added to my travel list....

Before we retired, from a job that was somewhat stressful,... my retirement dream was... and this is not an overstatement...
A log cabin near the top of a mountain in the Adirondaks, surrounded by barbed wire.
In truth, a wish to be a hermit.

That's about where I was, except for dealing with upper management, but law enforcement and simply living in the Washington, DC area has its own stresses.

And in fact after I retired and we moved for the first year I did little more than sit on the back porch and catch up with long-deferred visits with relatives that I and DW do care about. One SIL, the smart one, told DW that I was "decompressing", in hindsight a fair-enough description.

And it slowly dawned on me that perhaps this relative isolation wasn't the ideal way to spend the next 30 years. But I didn't have a good idea of what to do or where to go next. Admittedly getting a job was a stopgap measure until I figured out where to go from there, the unplanned-for income gave us more options, and DW needed time to deal with an aging, stubborn, but much-loved parent. That issue is about to be resolved.

More recently I'm seriously considering a CCRC (continuous care retirement community) for ourselves in light of how well that worked for my mother and how well (Not!) staying at home worked for FIL. When the dust settles on selling FIL's house next month we'll take a tour of one in PA, chosen in part because of easy access to family, they have SF homes with garages, the weather is 2 only degrees cooler than here, and there would be no state income tax on our retirement income. DW is okay with the idea but is more focused on her immediate family crisis.

The downside is that it takes a six-figure commitment amortized over a period of years, but basically it is something we can afford to do only once unless we bailed soon after moving. In return for the six-figure commitment they promise to never throw you out if expenses exhaust your resources. And I am thoroughly impressed with the care FIL is getting at the same organization's facility close by. I do not impress easily.

There is a social structure there that is both easily accessible and from which we could easily withdraw when we wanted to. That part worked very well for my mother, who was in a CCRC for almost 12 years.

Another issue is that I've realized that when older (meaning 75+) relatives moved to digs that were less work to keep they had a lot of help from children and younger family, such as myself and DW. A couple of others have adult children living with them to provide the assisted living help.

We will not have that help available. There are some nephews and nieces who could give us a weekend or three but other than that we're on our own. So we think we need to make a move long before it becomes a crisis, unlike FIL, who stayed in his house until he literally couldn't walk.

And as I wrote to one sister, I'm 62. That means in 20 years I'll be 82. (Sometimes I really hate math!:)) I rather doubt I'll be up for another move then. So I'm thinking bite the bullet and do it now since it isn't going to get any easier the longer we wait.

We are looking for acreage now to build our final house. Different strokes for different folks. I want to get back into beekeeping, maybe have a few cows, need a bigger workshop, (pole barn w/bathroom), and garden. Hunt more and fish more, too.

One good thing about living in one of those villages though, I don't think you need to worry much about being burglarized while you are traveling since you are surrounded by people who know you and would look out for your place.

I live in a small hamlet of maybe 250 folks, some are snow birds, some are only here for the bird and reptile season June- September. So at any one time I may have a social connection with 100-150 people. So I found Dunbar's number research to be very enlightening.

From Wikipedia,
Dunbar's number is a suggested cognitive limit to the number of people with whom one can maintain stable social relationships. These are relationships in which an individual knows who each person is, and how each person relates to every other person.[1] Proponents assert that numbers larger than this generally require more restrictive rules, laws, and enforced norms to maintain a stable, cohesive group. It has been proposed to lie between 100 and 230, with a commonly used value of 150

Dunbar's number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting post Imolder. My fondest memories are living with and hanging with lots of like minded people back in the late 60s, early 70s. The concept of a 55+ community appeals to me although DW has no interest. The problem I think would be finding a like minded group of people. I tend to immediately like working class folks or maybe educated, engineer types who were not upper management like me :). But I am a flaming lefty and would not fit in surrounded by conservatives - particularly social and religious conservatives which I regularly hear is what I would find in a retirement community. On the other hand, I couldn't stand being around a bunch of serious, holier than thou liberals. I can afford and would like an up scale development but don't like being around a bunch of stiff, backed executive types.... Argh, should I stick with the DIY approach or is there a community worth visiting? :)

I'm hoping to find a little house way up in the mountains in Taiwan. Just gotta stay out of the landslide zones! But for convenience's sake we'll probably end up in an apartment on the outskirts of a big city. Not really looking to socialize except for going out with photography groups.

My wife and I have been discussing this as my potential retirement becomes more realistic. We enjoy our current community and like having friends of diverse ages, and more than a few that we've known since college and have "grown up" together. However, we also live in a relatively high tax state that borders two relatively lower tax states. So for retirement we are tempted to move to either of the lower tax states for financial reasons (though we are doing a closer study, as lower income taxes may mean higher taxes/fees in other areas), but the thought of reestablishing social contacts at our age is a deterrent.

Interesting post Imolder. My fondest memories are living with and hanging with lots of like minded people back in the late 60s, early 70s. The concept of a 55+ community appeals to me although DW has no interest. The problem I think would be finding a like minded group of people. I tend to immediately like working class folks or maybe educated, engineer types who were not upper management like me :). But I am a flaming lefty and would not fit in surrounded by conservatives - particularly social and religious conservatives which I regularly hear is what I would find in a retirement community. On the other hand, I couldn't stand being around a bunch of serious, holier than thou liberals. I can afford and would like an up scale development but don't like being around a bunch of stiff, backed executive types.... Argh, should I stick with the DIY approach or is there a community worth visiting? :)
I think these communities are far more diverse than you might think. You only need to find a few individuals who share your interests. And, IMO, you want to be tapped into things outside the community as well, and not totally dependent on the community for your social interaction.

We moved into our community because it was close to where we wanted to be anyway.

I don't think I would move to a place just to join a certain community. There would have to be other strong reasons pulling me to that area. But once you find an area you really like, then check out what is available community-wise.

Last edited:
I am 57 and ER'd for the past 2 yrs. My DW is still working. What you are describing is something I've tried to describe to DW and friends. That is, however much you plan for your retirement, once you cross that retirement line, you will discover some things about yourself you never planned on.

I love being a homebody some of the time and socializing some of the time. One of my ER goals was to make sure I did something social each week so I wouldn't be isolated while all my other friends are still working. It has worked out pretty well.

I would say that you are lucky to have found the community you did. Congratulations. I've noticed that type of camaraderie happen when I was working. Also, when I was in college. But I am of the opinion that you can't design it and make it happen but you do have to be open enough to see it and take advantage of it when it comes along . . . which you did.

This all sounds similar to living in my expat community. I live in a city of 9 million people, but the expats who number in the thousands, generally live in my district of 100k. I prefer to spend the time with my Wife and Son and extended family, but every day I venture out and run into many of my several hundred friends who live here or are regular visitors.

For many years there was a Cafe in the center of town owned by a friend from Omaha. This negated the necessity of electronic devices as if you sat there long enough, everybody would eventually stop by before the day's or evening's planned activities and always led to impromptu adventures!

I find the sense of community is important in the abstract, but I only partake now on my own terms.

This all sounds similar to living in my expat community. I live in a city of 9 million people, but the expats who number in the thousands, generally live in my district of 100k. I prefer to spend the time with my Wife and Son and extended family, but every day I venture out and run into many of my several hundred friends who live here or are regular visitors.

For many years there was a Cafe in the center of town owned by a friend from Omaha. This negated the necessity of electronic devices as if you sat there long enough, everybody would eventually stop by before the day's or evening's planned activities and always led to impromptu adventures!

I find the sense of community is important in the abstract, but I only partake now on my own terms.

Sounds like where I live, mail comes in at 12AM, so everyone shows up at the same time to meet and greet. Ms G wonders why getting the mail can take more than an hour.

...(snip)... The concept of a 55+ community appeals to me although DW has no interest. The problem I think would be finding a like minded group of people. I tend to immediately like working class folks or maybe educated, engineer types who were not upper management like me :). But I am a flaming lefty and would not fit in surrounded by conservatives - particularly social and religious conservatives which I regularly hear is what I would find in a retirement community. On the other hand, I couldn't stand being around a bunch of serious, holier than thou liberals. I can afford and would like an up scale development but don't like being around a bunch of stiff, backed executive types.... Argh, should I stick with the DIY approach or is there a community worth visiting? :)
This part of Don's post could almost have been written by me.

And I appreciate others who have questioned how happy they'd be in a social community setting. I would be horrified if it turned out I was back in high school.

Can one have a deep discussion without stepping on other's feelings? Or do you have to be satisfied with surface smiles and weather talk? Moving is no small thing and getting involved in a community could be great or terrible.

Maybe in my mid-70's I'll feel different.

Mixed feelings about this. I have 2 primary objections to such a community and one pro.

Objection 1 - My sense is that most of these communities are HOAs on steroids. That is, they have heavy HOA type rules PLUS. As someone with pets, we didn't want a subdivision that had pet restrictions (well we live in one that says pets can't be loose and can't be nuisance but otherwise doesn't have specific limits). The retirement communities I've seen usually have very heavy pet restrictions so that basically knocks out most of them for me.

Objection 2 - This is similar to donheff. The area I live in - which I overall like - is overwhelmingly of a particular political viewpoint and most of a particular religious viewpoint. This would be even more so among the older population. I don't share those viewpoints. So if I lived in such a community I would constantly be out of step with the overwhelming majority of the community. Yes, I am sure that there would be exceptions. But the majority would be of a viewpoint I don't share.

The Pro - I am seeing that once retired (or ESR in my case) that social interactions are way down. DH has been fully retired for 2 1/2 years and he has very little social interaction now outside the family. He takes our daughter to martial arts a few nights a week and talks to people then, but that is about it. I go to the office once or twice a week and that is about it for me. Neither of us have activities we really like to do that call for us to interact with people in the "real" world. We do interact with people online (forum such as this, playing World of Warcraft, etc.).

I actually am starting to realize that even though I am an introvert I would like more social interaction. Part of what holds me back though is the political/religious thing I mentioned above. It is very wearying to constantly feel you have to censor yourself because you know that virtually everyone around you is the opposite of you on those issues. And I am not exaggerating. People who are in majority tend to think that everyone is as well, so there is often just the assumption that everyone has the same political/religious viewpoint. Knowing that I am of a minority viewpoint, I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable by starting a debate or even presenting a dissenting opinion so I tend to just stay silent. And that tends to make me feel even more isolated.

So yes I do like the idea of a bit more social interaction (only a bit), but I think one of the senior communities would be jumping from the frying pan into the fire from a political/religious perspective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom