Besides this forum, what other forums are you active on?

Bogleheads and City Data, but mostly here.

There are other forums besides this?

I orbit my way through various forums as my hobbies evolve. 10-15 years ago I posted on DPReview all the time (photography). For a few years after that I was on Machinist Web a lot. These days I post on MTBR.com (mountain bikes) even more than here. 5 years from now who knows.

Facebook has a bunch of forums about my home town of Nashville. TheHullReport.com and a RV owner's forum like IRV2.com is somewhat interesting.

One of my favorite websites to watch is FlightAware.com that covers all flights in the air, outgoing flights and incoming flights at every airport in the world. My city doesn't have a large airport, but incredibly interesting freight comes in and out of The Rocket City from all over the world in Boeing 747's. We see lots of private jets coming in doing business with NASA and missile and armaments companies. I also like to watch Columbus Air Force Base's T-38's training for fighter pilots--doing incredible aeronautics @ 15,000 ft. and below over NE MS and NW AL.

There are other forums besides this?

I'm not aware of any.

As much personal time as you guys (and other mods/adms) spend here I can understand that POV... You must be getting rich working all the hours that you "put in" on this forum...;)

Although I don't agree with anybody 100% of the time, you all do a really good job.

Last edited:
I do have accounts and spend some time on gun, car and numismatic forums... But lately I've spent more time here than all of them combined...

A couple of others:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php. This is the place to learn everything there is to know about radio control models. Airplanes, boats, cars, submarines (yes they submerge) drones, FPV (first person view) and about any other type of model that can be controlled by radio. A very large forum, there's no way to follow everything.

In the winter, https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forums/. Predictably it's pretty much dead in the summer but picks up a lot in the winter.

subaruoutback.org own an outback
tacomaworld.com own a toyota tacoma
vftt.org(views from the top) a New England hiking forum.
Many others infrequently as a need arises for various topics.

This site by far is my most visited. Come here several times daily.

Facebook has a bunch of forums about my home town of Nashville. TheHullReport.com and a RV owner's forum like IRV2.com is somewhat interesting.

One of my favorite websites to watch is FlightAware.com that covers all flights in the air, outgoing flights and incoming flights at every airport in the world. My city doesn't have a large airport, but incredibly interesting freight comes in and out of The Rocket City from all over the world in Boeing 747's. We see lots of private jets coming in doing business with NASA and missile and armaments companies. I also like to watch Columbus Air Force Base's T-38's training for fighter pilots--doing incredible aeronautics @ 15,000 ft. and below over NE MS and NW AL.
I love FlightAware. Especially when traveling or looking up and wondering where some plane is going. I enjoy the shipping equivalent as well - Marine Traffic - as we live on the shores of The Great Lakes and see many ships coming and going.

Other Forums

I like Bogleheads, but in most instances their answer to financial question somehow always favors the three index fund portfolio. And I can respect that.

Vans Air Force RV forum for aviation
Tesla Motors Club forum
Defense Technology

There's a private group on Facebook that I'm involved with - went through several message boards till it landed on facebook. It started as mom's who were expecting babies in Dec 2002 on parentplace.... Lots of drama in the early years (I was a mod there, too). I blame the drama on not enough sleep with babies and toddlers under foot. Now the kids that were in utero when we formed as a group are graduating high school and going to college... Same moms 18 years later. I've met probably 20 of the 100 or so moms, IRL.

Also, a local forum that was about real estate values, etc, called Piggington... haven't visited there in a long time - but was very active for a while. Same with CalculatedRisk .

The virtual Weber bullet. A great group to figure out how to BBQ, especially if you are using the Weber smoker.

https://tvwbb.com/

Trouble free pool. Just started there with my new pool this year. They have helped me a lot.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/forums/

However, this is the only forum where I feel like I’m conversing with people i.e., virtual friends. :greetings10:

Once in a while I peruse a couple of other forums but have not joined except here.

Nice shoutout for the lowcarber.org. Best Journals forum out there. I am years out of date.
I found straightdope.com from a recommendation here. It has political commentary that expects you to back up your position and a bbq pit for calling out bullshit.
Reddit should be renamed rabbit hole. I go in to look at funny posts and end up wandering the valleys. When the black shirts come to get me it will be because of the posts I made there.
Other then that I read the news at Washpost and do cryptograms.

I find my local Next-door forum to be very helpful. I can get local information there (like power/cable outages, local zoning issues, local road construction, local restaurant info, etc) that I cannot find anywhere else.

Long-time bogleheader. Started spending time here to get a perspective on things other than financial things. Still not sure how that is working out... :)

Also, a few hobby-related sites...

No other place would have me.

Back
Top Bottom