Besides this forum, what other forums are you active on?

Car, gun and model ship building, but my posting tends to go up and down on any of these forums.

Several votes for Reddit. What do people here like about it? What parts of it do you like?

The other online groups I read regularly are:
- MobileRead (ebooks)
- Facebook groups for my town and the one I grew up in
- Food52's cookbook and baking groups on Facebook. We pick a different book every month and post about the recipes we make.

Various travel forums when we have a trip planned.
- Cruise Critic
- Rick Steves
- Trip Advisor

Several votes for Reddit. What do people here like about it? What parts of it do you like?

I HATE the Reddit interface and it's buggy. I'm there purely for one of the groups. I first joined when Steven Hawking had an Ask Me Anything in 1995 and I hated it so much that I struggled to find the right section to complain before I left. I joined again recently.

Favorite forums? Well, ufo-tracking, bigfoot-sightings, loch-ness-monster-is-real, flat-earth-believers, and the moon-landing-was-faked. Most of all, thought, I enjoy giving advice here on ER Forum. :)

Last edited:
Reddit posts are usually deeper than you find on Tweets, so exploring a new or old subject has more rewards. I try to keep a short list and visit a few subs each day.

communities
r/chromeos
r/Genealogy
r/googleassistant
r/investing_discussion
r/linuxmint
r/philadelphia
r/pics
r/RandomActsOfPetFood
r/Retconned
r/SouthJersey
r/space
r/todayilearned

Oh each subreddit is different with their own rules and "personality". There's something for everyone depending on your likes. Either start with the default popular subs and peruse to find any subject you like. There's other retirement/fire boards and really I haven't found any subject missing. It's quirky and weird but fun.

One piece of Reddit weirdness is if you want to talk about Marijuana you go to the "trees" subforum; conversations about trees can be found in the "Marijuana enthusiasts" sub.

Sometimes perusing "r/all" gives you a good idea of what is going on.

Corvette Forum is the only other one I'm active on - and active for me is mostly reading with few posts. I visit others, but haven't found any others I stick with yet.

The only other one I read and contribute to is Bogleheads. This forum and bogleheads scratch different itches for me.
Me too, although sometimes the itch gets slapped by the mods. When I get tired of Covid talk here (yes, I know I can ignore the forum), I go to bogelhead where they have a covid lock down.

I also visit Reddit. You have to be careful which subs to visit. Some are just slime. In general, however, bad language is tolerated and almost encouraged. I come here and find I have to remember to keep it clean.

I like the general free form nature of it. I like that it is very widely available and you get a world perspective on a lot of things.

It is becoming the only decent place to discuss some TV shows since IMDB threw away their discussions.

I admit: I go into a totally alternate persona when I visit the "90 Day Fiance" subreddit. It is my secret indulgence. I become someone else, throwing away my engineer persona and hang out with (mostly) the girls. Gossip, gossip, gossip. All in fun.

Then I snap back and go to homeimprovement. I like to help out where I can. I've also learned a hell of a lot. There's also a great cordcutters subreddit full of news and advice.

Again, bad language is everywhere so I have to remember when I type here. :angel:

I prefer forums where I can learn and apply factual actions. Besides this one, Bogleheads and technology/programming forums that provide "how to' information (StacKOverFlow, GitHub, open source/vendor forums etc.).

Me too, although sometimes the itch gets slapped by the mods. When I get tired of Covid talk here (yes, I know I can ignore the forum), I go to bogelhead where they have a covid lock down.

I also visit Reddit. You have to be careful which subs to visit. Some are just slime. In general, however, bad language is tolerated and almost encouraged. I come here and find I have to remember to keep it clean.

So correct.

Some of my favorite subs are:
R/nextf*ckinglevel
R/interestingasf*,ck
R/aww
R/mademesmile

these are all great regardless of the name. There's others I won't go to, or posts I won't look at because... no thanks.

Cruise critic forums
DIS boards (Disney)
Rick Steves
Her Packing List (extremely small forum)

I sometimes join and post on forums, but also like to lurk and move on without joining. Always checkout the car/truck forum of my family's vehicles. Some of the financial forums that have already been mentioned and SeekingAlpha. Visit some coffee roasting and espresso forums, shave forums such as BadgerandBlade, technical forums such as truenas.com (currently trying to setup a ZFS based NAS), android central, etc. I am not African American so I did not join, but found recently discovered https://www.lipstickalley.com/ and found it interesting. Also like https://www.diychatroom.com/ when I have issues around my home, or if I am interested in participating and sharing my experiences.

Last edited:
My primary "other" forum is a fiction forum with mostly "End of Civilization As We Know It" stories. No cost to read; no cost to join if you want to comment on a posted story.
http://pawfiction.proboards.com/

The writers all started as amateurs but several have graduated to selling books on Amazon - and most of those still test new story ideas on the forum. The stories typically reflect at least some of the writer's world view as farmers, machinists and programmers tend to see the same situation differently. Some stories are current time, some are a few years in the future and some are a century or more in the future. There's probably something for most readers - action, adventure, romance. The storylines run from PG to NC-17 and the latter group usually have a caution at the beginning - "This is a beyond dark and disturbing story" is hard to miss ;-)

I’m into classic cars, specifically vintage VW’s
www.thesamba.com

The history of the moon landings has also been a keen interest.
I frequent the Apollo Lunar Surface Journals. (For those who don’t believe it’s a hoax).

A women's ski forum, my primary place to "talk" online, here, and a permaculture forum. Others come and go, including a general ski forum, various homesteading sites, and Bogleheads.

Gardenweb/Houzz
Cruise Critic and Tripadvisor when I'm planning a trip
Bigger Pockets (landlord forum)
A condo board forum
A forum with a bunch of ladies that started as a scrapbooking forum 20+ years ago.

Back
Top Bottom