Bicycles

I like bikes and bicycles, more bicycles these days. I'm in the market for a new bicycle and maybe someone here can help recommend one. I'm interested in a hybrid type but with drop bars if possible. I do mainly road or paved bike trails and prefer the speed of a road bike but would like to be able to ride on hard dirt or gravel. Any suggestions? I'm currently looking at a Trek Crossrip or the flat bar FX.
Cyclocross bikes might meet your needs. They are similar to road bikes but with a higher bottom bracket and can handle wider tires - 700x32 being typical. Another option would be touring bikes but they don't tend to sell off the rack with STI shifters (in the brake handles) which I like and are standard on cyclocross bikes. DW and I recently had custom steel sport touring bikes built for us (kind of light touring frames) with 28cm tires. They are great on roads or packed gravel trails. We love them.

Cyclocross bikes might meet your needs. They are similar to road bikes but with a higher bottom bracket and can handle wider tires - 700x32 being typical. Another option would be touring bikes but they don't tend to sell off the rack with STI shifters (in the brake handles) which I like and are standard on cyclocross bikes.

+1, Don beat me to it.

DW and I recently had custom steel sport touring bikes built for us (kind of light touring frames) with 28cm tires. They are great on roads or packed gravel trails. We love them.

Oooh whadja get?

I have a steel touring bike, a Bleriot by Rivendell. My other bike is a custom Ti Lynskey, I named that bike Midlife Crisis :cool:

+1, Don beat me to it.

Oooh whadja get?

I have a steel touring bike, a Bleriot by Rivendell. My other bike is a custom Ti Lynskey, I named that bike Midlife Crisis :cool:
Ours are steel frames with carbon forks built be Kelly Bedfort. We got S&S couplers so we can break them down and pack them for flights to DW's brother's house in Sonoma. I don't have good pictures since I am not home but I do have a shot of Mine in a suitcase on my iPad. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606.5 KB · Views: 8
I didn't see a mention of folding bicycles on the list, so thought I'd put a shout out to that. I own a Dahon 16 inch folder that is used for getting around town to run short errands and go a few miles for some exercise. In fact, just got the bicycle tuned up about a week ago so when spring finally arrives, I'll get a chance to put it to use this year.
Taking a crack at the folding bike plan, bought my wife a citizen bike folder-upper for Christmas, still have snow and ice here so will be another month before we get it out to test it out. If we like it I'll probably buy her a nicer lighter one and keep the heavy steel beast for me :) hoping to be able to throw both in the back of an SUV in a few years at ER and travel the back roads.

My favorite and most comfortable bike is my 1991 Offroad Pro-Flex 352 which was designed by Bob Girvan, and arguably the first full suspension off road bike. I had to be a limited edition, as there were only 300 made.
29 lbs a little heavy, but relatively light for the times.
elastomer suspension.... IMHO, the front Girvan handlebar suspension is more comfortable than any I have ever tried. The rear suspension is also elastomer.
The geometrics of the rear suspension were such that the chain can be replaced without using a master link. Chainstays built on a swivel
Now here's an oddity as far as I know... The chainwheel had very sharp gear teeth, which I assumed came from using the wrong sized chain. The other part that puzzled me was that the chain wheel was oval... Duh? The guy at the bike shop told me it was uneven wear, so I replaced the whole part, crankset and all. (about 50 individual spacers, nuts, bolts washers etc.)
Later, I found out the teeth and the oval wheel were part of the exploratory design... More presure on the downward pedal stroke. Alas... the original went to the trash.
Much of the story about Girvan and Proflex is here...
MOMBAT: Proflex and Girvin Cycles History
The model shown is the 1991... Mine must be a 1991 1/2 and the model 352 seems to have been skipped for advertising purposes.
Bike history is interesting and fun, because it's a story in progress.
(open the pic in a new window to read the story)

Attachments

• 1090ProFlex1.jpg
    1090ProFlex1.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I've had a Bike Friday New World Tourist, a high-quality folder designed for touring, for over 10 years. I've toured on it a lot in various countries throughout the world, as well as commuted on it. In those days before ER, commuting was my most pleasurable part of the day. These days, I tend to ride my bike a bit more each year than I drive in my car. I do more errands by bike than by car, and I've got a very nice rail-trail near my home.

In a couple of months, a friend (who also has a Bike Friday) and I will go on a milestone birthday trip to France. He wants to ride over a couple of classic Tour de France mountain passes. (Personally, I think the TdF is a farce, but I like riding over mountain passes.) We'll be riding in a couple of other regions, as well.

sittin' on top of the world

* This is an old Nike missile site in the hills above my house. Nice place to stop for a drink of water on a clear day.

* The trail home.

Attachments

• DSCN0971.jpg
    DSCN0971.jpg
    942.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN0988.jpg
    DSCN0988.jpg
    915.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
OMG.... The thought of riding the Tour de France, or that Nike mountain is frightening. While I love riding, hills and me, don't agree. Maybe some years ago... but...

In Florida, the Withlacootchie Trail... 46 miles, all paved and mostly flat and shaded. Beautiful.
Withlacoochee Trail State Park
Here's where most of my IL riding takes place, now... 43 miles of roads, and 17 miles of trails. Map looks crowded, but so heavily wooded, about 90% shade in the summer. Hilly, but small hills. My riding has gone down to about 10 mi./day. Thinking that eventually I might spring for electric motor assist.

Attachments

• viewer.png
    viewer.png
    158.7 KB · Views: 7
My favorite and most comfortable bike is my 1991 Offroad Pro-Flex 352 which was designed by Bob Girvan, and arguably the first full suspension off road bike.

I attended an early 1980's Interbike trade show with a 1940's era Bianchi military paratrooper bike on display to remind everyone of the long and storied history of bicycles. It had front and rear suspension, a monostay rear, unicrown fork, cam actuated brake, oh and it folded. The history goes back to 1911 -

Bianchi Military Folding Bicycle ‘Model 1912′ | The BSA & Military Bicycle Museum

A circa 1914 image -

2Q==

great website...
Imagine 2012... front shocks (spring on left side of fork, hydraulic cylinder on right side)... and the Bianchi design overall... 100 yrs before its' time. 27 inch wheels.. and solid tryes for the infantryman, but pneumatic for the officers.
The history going back to 1876 with the bicycle as a military weapon/vehicle is very impressive... Had no idea!!!:facepalm:

Last edited:
The history going back to 1876 with the bicycle as a military weapon/vehicle is very impressive... Had no idea!!!:facepalm:
And everyone made fun of the threadbare 1912 US Army soldiers drilling with broomsticks instead of rifles. Now it all makes sense--the broomsticks were to jam into the spokes of the advancing bicycle shock troops.

great website...
Imagine 2012... front shocks (spring on left side of fork, hydraulic cylinder on right side)... and the Bianchi design overall... 100 yrs before its' time. 27 inch wheels.. and solid tryes for the infantryman, but pneumatic for the officers.

If you're ever in the northern SF Bay Area or Sacramento, the US Bicycle Hall of Fame in Davis is a fun & informative stop. They have very limited hours & I never managed to be there while it was open, until last month. Neat-o!

We had an Iron man race that passed by my house. .... Most didn't look like they were having much fun at the time.....

Not surprising. Like most endurance athletes, long course triathletes are somewhat masochistic. It only hurts until the endorphins kick in :D

OMG.... The thought of riding the Tour de France, or that Nike mountain is frightening. While I love riding, hills and me, don't agree. Maybe some years ago... but...

Here's where most of my IL riding takes place, now... 43 miles of roads, and 17 miles of trails. Map looks crowded, but so heavily wooded, about 90% shade in the summer. Hilly, but small hills.

That sounds excellent. :)

I tried to be a climber ... here's a road I used to ride up back in my masochistic days. It's Sierra Road, which was in a stage of the Tour of CA pro cycling race a couple of times. I took this photo on the day when Sierra Road was last(?) on the tour route, in May 2011, which was also the last time I rode up that stinker. :tongue: The road was closed off to vehicle traffic on race day and cyclists would ride up to get great views near the top of the climb -- those are all spectators coming up the hill. DH (in the foreground) & I needed to stop a lot to catch our breaths.

My cycling routes are flatter these days. :)

Attachments

• 229208_1832196157468_1334319_n.jpg
    229208_1832196157468_1334319_n.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
... not Bikes

I like the subject of bicycles in any way shape or form. Doing a search for "bicycles" on ER brings up 220 hits, so there are others here who have some kind of interest in bicycles... "Bikes" has come to mean motorcycles, and while I like them too, bicycles is a first love.

Sooo... as long as there are threads on pets and songs and jokes and food and Ipads and photography etc. ... why not a general topic of bicycles:confused:
- Old bicycles
-New bicycles
-Bicycle repair
-Bicycle touring and trips
-Bicycles for exercise
-Tricycles and recumbants
-New Technology for bicycles
-Pictures of bicycles
-Bicycle clothing and headgear
-"Bicycles I have owned"
-Bicycle tips
-Bicycle stories to share
-Bicycle that I ride to work
-Road bikes
-Touring bikes
-Bicycle safety and security
-Bicycle history
-Bicycle trails and tours.
-Chicago Divvy and other rental bikes
-Bicycle history

I love all of these subjects, and know many of my friends do too. Would love to hear about ANYTHING to do with bicycles.

To start off, has anyone heard of my last $5 bike? A Schwinn "bent tube"....
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Just bought a carbon cannondale synapse, great bike!

Bought a giant hybrid bike a few yrs. ago that I use when we travel.

Cycling is a great sport.

Just back from Florida where I rode a borrowed bike for the last month. Really enjoyed myself so I came home and ordered a bike. Was not sure exactly what type of bike to order but decided on a Giant Cypress LX. Need to be able to sit up a little more than most because of my back. Can't wait to get it and start riding!

golfersailor: The Cypress is a great economical choice for paved trails & city cruising. We did the Minnesota MS150 three times on ours! The ride is smooth and the upright position is more comfortable (at least for DW & me).
We are relegating our two Cypress models to "guest bikes" for visiting friends. They are still safe & comfortable with 5000+ miles on each over about 8 years. Never any problems, just replaced worn tires 2x. We live adjacent to a trail on the Twin Cities (MN) trail network and often take visitors on day treks around the city.
We're replacing them with Diamondback Edgewood models - very similar in design & components. Found them at Costco.com for $200 each with free shipping to our door. It took me about 30 minutes each to assemble (front wheel, pedals and handlebars). We're hoping these last as long as the Giants.
Every day I pull into the garage, see these shiny new bikes, and dream about the 6' snowdrifts melting so we can ride them!

Just back from Florida where I rode a borrowed bike for the last month. Really enjoyed myself so I came home and ordered a bike. Was not sure exactly what type of bike to order but decided on a Giant Cypress LX. Need to be able to sit up a little more than most because of my back. Can't wait to get it and start riding!

This is where I throw in my two bits of a recommendation for a recumbent. Don't be afraid to try one, there are all kinds of different ones and they pretty well all don't bother the back at all (or the butt, or hands, or neck etc etc). Some even come with suspension. The internet is full of stories about people who just wouldn't/couldn't give up the regular bike.....then finally did and couldn't believe how good they felt. www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmTF_aG4Img

I have a Trek FX with a flat bar. It had some issues and had to go back to the dealer after a month, but I think it was a problem with the mechanic there. The bikes pretty much bullet proof and much faster than the Janis hybrid it replaced.
Added fenders to make a nice commuter and am adding a rest rack for grocery gittin this spring.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I like bikes and bicycles, more bicycles these days. I'm in the market for a new bicycle and maybe someone here can help recommend one. I'm interested in a hybrid type but with drop bars if possible. I do mainly road or paved bike trails and prefer the speed of a road bike but would like to be able to ride on hard dirt or gravel. Any suggestions? I'm currently looking at a Trek Crossrip or the flat bar FX.

Sorry... Trying to figure out the Android ER app still...

Back
Top Bottom