Bicycles

Rear view mirrors are something I've experimented with over the last several years. The 'purists' seem to shun mirrors, but for those of us riding city streets, I highly recommend them.

I finally found one that I like very much. The 'Take-A-Look' mirror is small and very durable. Two versions available. I use the compact. They're designed to be mounted on rims of eye glasses, but the majority I see are helmet mounted, which is how I have mine mounted. Other than the helmet, it's the best piece of safety gear I have. Couldn't do without it.

https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Peddler...57&sr=1-1&keywords=Take+A+Look+compact+mirror

Helmet mounted.
https://velohobo.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/dsc05815-800x550.jpg

Last edited:
Do you bike? Yes
How often? 4-7 days a week
Road, path or trail... cross country? All
Length of ride? 25-100 - Recently finish a cross-country self supported tour at bit over 2000mi to Bar Harbor,ME and 2yrs ago completed a 3600mi tour to Santa Barbara,CA. Many century and double centuries during the 80's-90's
Raced for about 12yrs
Part of a group? Mainly solo- Rode with team during racing yrs and week long tours (BTC,RTR and others)
What kind of a bike (bikes)? Several both Ti & Steel Road, Surly Disc Trucker Touring, Litespeed Mtn bike.
Been biking since? Since kid - More so the last 30ys
Expect to bike until ? Until they pull the plug :)

Rear view mirrors are something I've experimented with over the last several years. The 'purists' seem to shun mirrors, but for those of us riding city streets, I highly recommend them.

I finally found one that I like very much. The 'Take-A-Look' mirror is small and very durable. Two versions available. I use the compact. They're designed to be mounted on rims of eye glasses, but the majority I see are helmet mounted. Other than the helmet, it's the best piece of safety gear I have. Couldn't do without it.

https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Peddler...57&sr=1-1&keywords=Take+A+Look+compact+mirror

Helmet mounted.

Can't do that. I want to look like a Tour de France biker.

Attachments

• fat guy riding bike.jpg
    fat guy riding bike.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 4
I'm slow in all 3 aspects, and don't do long distances, but I am a triathlete. So, yes, cycling is a major part of my fitness activities. I cycle about 3 times/week.
I have 2 relatively new bikes, road bike and a hybrid, so I have choices between riding on paved surfaces and dirt. Running remains my favorite passion, but every time I'm on one of my bikes I'm in a state of ecstasy.

I finally found one that I like very much. The 'Take-A-Look' mirror is small and very durable. Two versions available. I use the compact. They're designed to be mounted on rims of eye glasses, but the majority I see are helmet mounted. Other than the helmet, it's the best piece of safety gear I have. Couldn't do without it.

Helmet mounted.

I think a rear view mirror is an absolute necessity. When I hear a vehicle approaching, I take a quick look to make sure it's moving over. Literally couldn't live without it.

I recommend Tiger Eye. Home

I think a rear view mirror is an absolute necessity. When I hear a vehicle approaching, I take a quick look to make sure it's moving over. Literally couldn't live without it.
Our VBT bikes had them and I was impressed with their utility. I think it is like AC. Once you have had it, it is essential...

(BTW the VBT itinerary was 45 to 65 km per day, and, with my compromised legs, I was concerned, but it was no problem and almost completely on bike trails along the river. Very safe.)

Used a small clip on mirror that could be attached to eye glass frame, very helpful.

I tried the helmet mounted clip on mirror but it just didn't work for me. I have one that plugs into the end of the handle bar, works great for me.

I tried the helmet mounted clip on mirror but it just didn't work for me. I have one that plugs into the end of the handle bar, works great for me.

I don't use a mirror I do it the old fashion way by looking behind me but I thought those ones like this would be best for me. The helmet mount just seems to get in the way though I know a lot of people use them.

If I'm on a road where looking back might cause me to steer slightly towards the car I just stay put and don't look. I don't worry a lot about cars behind me hitting me (yeah it could happen) but I have more problems with the cars that pass me and then turn in front of me and a mirror isn't a solution to that problem :mad:. The mirror is likely better for seeing other cyclists come up behind me since they are often riding much closer to me (ie in the bike lane).

Riding on the local paved trails has its own set of problems, but being run down/over by a car isn't on of them.

I am a "recreational biker", and usually only ride 12-20 miles a week. Schwinn crossover I bought used in 1997 ($150), and have only replaced tubes and tires. Have a Diamond Back mtn. bike at the snow bird condo. Prefer the Schwinn.
DW and I downsized at semi-ret. to a small community where we can walk and bike to restaurants, library, PO, etc. As a result, we are down to one car now. I figure that saves about $300-400 mo. in depreciation, repairs, gas, etc. Should have moved sooner.

I don't use a mirror I do it the old fashion way by looking behind me but I thought those ones like this would be best for me. The helmet mount just seems to get in the way though I know a lot of people use them.

The helmet mount took me a little while to get used to, since when properly positioned the mirror is sort of in my line of sight. But the upside is that I can see behind me without moving my head, and after a couple rides I didn't even really notice the mirror any more when I wasn't focusing on it.

Just got back from a bike/barge trip along The Moselle. 8 days. Great experience with VBT!

Because of problems with my tendons, I have not been biking like normal every day but I intend to resume now.
I have been on 11 VBT bike trips and loved them all. Pricey but a good deal compared with their competitors.

The helmet mount took me a little while to get used to, since when properly positioned the mirror is sort of in my line of sight. But the upside is that I can see behind me without moving my head, and after a couple rides I didn't even really notice the mirror any more when I wasn't focusing on it.
DW and I use helmet mount mirrors. A friend makes them from old bike spokes and mirror pieces. They take a little getting used to but are great once you do.

Do you bike? Yes
How often? As frequently as motivation and weather allow. Usually 2 or 3 times a week.
Road, path or trail... cross country? Bicycle / walking trails mostly. Maybe there are some parts of the world where riding in traffic on the street is appropriate, but to my perception that's both extremely dangerous and inconsiderate.
Length of ride? Usually 14 miles per outing. Sometimes a little less, and sometimes more than 20.
Part of a group? Rarely
What kind of a bike (bikes)? Road, trail, recumbent etc. I bought a used mountain bike that was a little too small. Then I bought a new 29" Diamondback mountain bike, and now I ride a used Jamis MB that was gifted to me.
Been biking since:confused: Expect to bike until:confused:
Since before this photo was taken and until I can't.

Attachments

• First Bicycle.jpg
    First Bicycle.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 5
In addition to peddling a bike (200k + lifetime miles), I have long been interested in the design/construction aspect of them. This recent article in journal Nature, focused on bike steering/stability, is worthwhile reading in that respect -

The bicycle problem that nearly broke mathematics : Nature News & Comment

While i admit the article was a little over my head, I, too, have also been interested in bike construction and design.
I have one of Bob Girvin's original mountain bikes... the first one designed with both a front and rear elastomer suspension... The model is a 452 OpenRoad... a limited 1990 edition that was the precursor of the Proflex 453. Proflex was later bought out and became K2.

Here's an early review of what was then, the cutting edge of offroad bikes.
http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/BikeHistoryPages/ProFlex-
Girvin.html

FWIW, it's an easy ride and very stable. The hands off ride in your article works pretty well in my OffRoad.

Last edited:
FWIW, it's an easy ride and very stable. The hands off ride in your article works pretty well in my OffRoad.

Now you've done it - the calculations are assuming a rigid frame. Adding suspension introduces variable trail into the mix, looks like they have more work to do. :facepalm:

Kidding aside, yea the Girvin Flexstem paired with an Allsop softride beam was the hot ride for awhile - suspend the rider, not the bike.

Last edited:
Do you bike? Yes
How often? As frequently as motivation and weather allow. Usually 2 or 3 times a week.
Road, path or trail... cross country? Bicycle / walking trails mostly. Maybe there are some parts of the world where riding in traffic on the street is appropriate, but to my perception that's both extremely dangerous and inconsiderate.
Length of ride? Usually 14 miles per outing. Sometimes a little less, and sometimes more than 20.
Part of a group? Rarely
What kind of a bike (bikes)? Road, trail, recumbent etc. I bought a used mountain bike that was a little too small. Then I bought a new 29" Diamondback mountain bike, and now I ride a used Jamis MB that was gifted to me.
Been biking since:confused: Expect to bike until:confused:
Since before this photo was taken and until I can't.

Agree on the bolded part. I see people riding on heavily traveled roads all the time around here. It's legal but I'm not doing it. My biking is limited to hiking/biking trails. Good pic btw. I rode a bike back in my kiddie days like most. Probably stopped around 16 and picked it up again 43 years later. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom