"BIG 4-0"BIG 5-0"huh?

I have a history in my family of bad knees. I've never had a problem, but I use works treadmill for 3 runs a week to minimize impact and only do street running once a week. Even that is half trails. Between that and good shoes, I hope to make my knees last.

I used to run pretty regularly but now I stick to low impact stuff like the elliptical at the gym. I read an article recently (can't remember if it was a magazine or on internet) about people in their late 40s and 50s having to deal w/ hip replacements, etc. Years of extreme training, marathoning and all the rest take their toll after a few decades. Most benefits occur with a moderate level of exercise. Going over and above is for something other than fitness.

I have a history in my family of bad knees.

No, they chose to have bad knees. They should have exercised more. Then they would have had good knees

razztazz said:
No, they chose to have bad knees. They should have exercised more. Then they would have had good knees

Not sure where you're coming from, but Earth is the blue one third from the sun. :LOL:

....I ran a lot during my 21 years in the army. I was even pretty good at it but I grew to hate running. Now I like hiking and kayaking. We were paddling in the ocean this morning. It was hot but there was enough breeze to keep it bearable. We put ashore on the beach on Little Tybee Island and had several miles of beach all to ourselves for a long walk. That was our second paddle this week. We will probably go again monday. I think exercise is very important and that if you get enough of it you can eat just about anything you want. I am 5'7" and 157 (10 pounds overweight) which just proves that I am wrong or need to exercise more. I like eating too much to ever consider dieting. Life is good!

califdreamer said:
I used to run pretty regularly but now I stick to low impact stuff like the elliptical at the gym.  I read an article recently (can't remember if it was a magazine or on internet) about people in their late 40s and 50s having to deal w/ hip replacements, etc.  Years of extreme training, marathoning and all the rest take their toll after a few decades.  Most benefits occur with a moderate level of exercise.  Going over and above is for something other than fitness.

califdreamer,
.....I work on an orthopedics floor in a hospital. We have a joint replacement program that brings in lots of patients from around the area. I still have not seen one that was an extreme athlete or a serious runner. The one thing I do notice about most of the knee and hip replacement patients is obesity. I would guess that 75% are more than 50 pounds over their ideal weight.
jc 

jclarksnakes said:
I am 5'7" and 157 (10 pounds overweight) which just proves that I am wrong or need to exercise more. I like eating too much to ever consider dieting. Life is good!

Geez, 157 sounds trim to me.

jclarksnakes said:
califdreamer,
.....I work on an orthopedics floor in a hospital. We have a joint replacement program that brings in lots of patients from around the area. I still have not seen one that was an extreme athlete or a serious runner. The one thing I do notice about most of the knee and hip replacement patients is obesity. I would guess that 75% are more than 50 pounds over their ideal weight.
jc 

I tried to find the article about this in the LA Times archive but couldn't come up with it.  I would certainly agree obesity would be a MUCH more frequent contributor to joint replacement needs than too much exercise.  I'm sure it's actually a very small percentage of people the article was referring to... a little media puffery no doubt.

still have not seen one that was an extreme athlete or a serious runner.

Thats because they are inherently healthier and less susceptible to deterioration which allows them to BE extreme athletes. The larger body (pun) usually stop the "extreme extercise" due to pain, aging, and the inevitable inability to keep doing it BUT usually long before they have to go right from the track to the hip replacement table. More exetrcise = more health has more than a little post hoc ergo propter hoc million to it.

Back
Top Bottom