BIL's Brother - 64, financial straits, how to advise?

I'd be willing to spring for a trailer, solar cabin or tiny house, too, if a relative needed help, plus help with social services applications. Add in some odds and ends or beer money type work, if they could do it, and most people would have food, shelter and basic medical care covered.
yes, I feel that way as well. my friend said that was the best $14k she ever spent. her dad lives in a decent trailer park in the base of the mountains in Manitou Springs. it has million dollar views, and he can walk to the center of a cool town in a few minutes. sometimes a little helping hand is all some folks need. with a parent, I wouldnt hesitate.

yes, I feel that way as well. my friend said that was the best $14k she ever spent. her dad lives in a decent trailer park in the base of the mountains in Manitou Springs. it has million dollar views, and he can walk to the center of a cool town in a few minutes. sometimes a little helping hand is all some folks need. with a parent, I wouldnt hesitate.

That sounds like a great solution. Imoldernu had some good posts on frugal living and trailer park costs. I think he posted once on how little a used Park model trailer in good shape would cost.

Related links: How the Trailer Park Could Save Us All - A healthy, inexpensive, environmentally friendly solution for housing millions of retiring boomers is staring us in the face. https://psmag.com/social-justice/how-the-trailer-park-could-save-us-all-55137

Zappo's Retiring CEO Worth $840M Lives in a Trailer Park Called Llamapolis (with 2 alpacas) - this place looks really fun.

He absolutely should file for SS on his ex-wife's record if he's eligible. Even if both the IRS and state garnish it for the back taxes and child support, there's a maximum percentage that they can take. He might not get enough to live on, but he would not get $0.

+1
Plus, if he does not apply he gets nothing.
If he applies and they take some amount of it, at some point the debt (if any) will be paid off, and he gets the rest. Otherwise he gets it all.
It's a no lose option to apply.

Plax, etc all 6 kids work low paying jobs so probably can’t afford to help him.

You can't fix this. You can give him county/state services info, and suggest he start with pursuing welfare, snap, medicaid, and assisted housing.
Pretty much what I did with my best friend of 55+ years who spent everything and more, became an alcoholic, divorced, was on $1k SS, lived in a rented room, lost his drivers license, etc. I spent hours researching and gathering, and sending him lists and links of government agencies in his location as well as pages of ideas of fun things to do for no cost. I often drove 3 hours to visit and try to help out. He never tried to contact any agency for food stamps, housing, health care, etc. He never made an effort to deal with his problems and eventually committed suicide out of depression.

Sometimes no matter what you do nothing seems to help. But you need to try. Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't.

Cheers!

I asked about his wife's work history - apparently she worked for a long time in a public library, so I encouraged him to look into Soc Sec based on her record and their long marriage, but he is concerned that the state will just take money to pay down the back child support.

By all means he should look into social security from his wife, however, some cities do not pay into social security and there might not be anything available there, but there could be a spousal benefit through a state run retirement pension plan.

That sounds like a great solution. Imoldernu had some good posts on frugal living and trailer park costs. I think he posted once on how little a used Park model trailer in good shape would cost.

Related links: How the Trailer Park Could Save Us All - A healthy, inexpensive, environmentally friendly solution for housing millions of retiring boomers is staring us in the face. https://psmag.com/social-justice/how-the-trailer-park-could-save-us-all-55137

Zappo's Retiring CEO Worth $840M Lives in a Trailer Park Called Llamapolis (with 2 alpacas) - this place looks really fun.
the first article was well written --great insight into the potential of trailer parks as an affordable and desirable senior living option. heck, I could see myself in one, at least at a park like Pismodise, especially as a second home. where else are you going to pay $400-700 a month next to the beach in CA? my favorite quote, "We're living to the fullest because we know mortality is close." words apply to all of us here in a retirement forum.

again there are a lot of ways to skin the cat. this problem with the gentleman is not intractable if he is willing to help himself and he can get a helping hand from those around him.

[https://psmag]

Last edited:
I am assuming he lives in VA. If so, have him apply for covid unemployment as a gig worker. He will get it retroactively fairly quickly and get a large lump sum. He should get at least $758 a week from April 4th ($158 is what the state gives if you’re a gig worker/self employed and $600 from Pandemic assistance). His back child support won’t be an issue to get the unemployment. First he must apply for regular unemployment. They will deny him and then he can go to the link for the PUA and apply. He will then have to file for all the back weeks. Here’s the link for Virginia. I am not sure how other states work but he can look into it if he doesn’t live in VA. https://www.vec.virginia.gov

Is it retroactive? I thought it was "claim it or lose it"? Or is that state by state?

We looked up pictures of Manitou Springs. Wow, that is some amazing scenery. That looks like a lovely place to live for anyone, broke or not.

Consider lining him up with a family law attorney, perhaps pay for a couple of consults. If he paid for some of his children's college that may be creditable against the unpaid child support. The effected children may have to sign a statement to that effect.

The child support was actually payable to the deceased wife, not the children. If she did not receive welfare, where the State has an interest in recovery, the indebitness is to the wife's estate.

Make it clear that the guy is obligated to follow the attorney's advice.

1. SS from dear departed ex-wife.
Step one - Review the ss.gov website - lots of questions answered there. I bet he is eligible, he is past 60 and was married over ten years.
Step two - Call SS with a list of questions, get clarity.
Step three - At the end of the SS call - make an appointment at your local office or find out if during covid they have other options - chats/telecon.

Review the list of documents required by the SS to start your claim - it's right there on their website.

It is not a problem - all you need to do is ask! I'm a widow and his financial situation aside - this is no different from any other inquiry about eligibility for SS. You call - they answer and if you forget to clarify something you call back.
I'm sure he isn't the only person in the US who ended up living on the fringe because at some point it all became overwhelming.
Not all of them are alcoholics or dead beats.

He may well see his first SS check within three weeks of putting in his application. DO IT!

If he is computer savvy, set him up with an online account. If not, choose a bank within walking/driving distance with enough branches in the area where his SS direct deposit will go.
Set up his phone with a text alert so he knows each month when his deposit has arrived.
That's all normal stuff for us, but he may have forgotten and a lot has changed in the banking industry in the past ten/twenty years.
Either way, even if he banks with brick and mortar show him how to set up the account and navigate online - he'll figure it out.

Hopefully he has a DL that he can use as ID, if not, he will have to renew or get a state ID.
He'll need to know his SS and his wife's SS before he calls.

He will need help and positive encouragement in dealing with all this - it will be scary and hopeless to him, but in reality it is just paperwork.
He can do this with a bit of guidance which will lift his spirits and help him tackle the next step.

2. Once you've established eligibility and applied for SS - determine if the IRS will actually take away all of his SS. Unlikely, but this can be clarified easily enough via a search on their website or a direct phone call.

Clarify what if any percentage the IRS will take...maybe he can survive with receiving only part of the SS for a while.
That would be good news and give him something to look forward to - eventually the entire SS will be his and the IRS demands satisfied.

Impress upon him that from now on - he will do a tax return each year.
He'll be below the poverty line and get money back in the future:).

3. I have no input on the covid or unemployment, but I'd look into it per the posted suggestions.
Elderly help. My experiences in that regard showed me how screwed you are if you are old and have no way to support yourself.

Regardless - since he is already 64 - it is important that he applies for Medicare about four months before he turns 65.
I was one of the dummies who never realized that everyone is automatically eligible for Medicare at age 65 but you have to pay a penalty for life if you do not apply within three? months of turning 65.
Nobody ever told me that...
Given that he has no income to very little income - perhaps he is eligible for Medicaid and expanded Medicaid? even now?

4. Child support - find out the particular laws that govern this in your state. If it is true that the money is owed to his ex-wife's estate - he needs to deal with it!
Where there is a will there is a way - this is one area where I would seek legal help.
Just rambling here - but if his kids are the heirs of the estate - perhaps he could make payments to them which would then be returned to him by his kids in view of his having paid college expenses?

The goal is to keep him from becoming homeless, destitute and depressed.
I'm sure everything will be even harder if he has no permanent residence.

A place to live and certainly an application for food stamps is the very first order of business. I imagine he went to a church or food bank at this point?

Perhaps he can manage to continue to rent a room from his friend once he knows how much he will receive from SS.

From what the OP said this man has always worked - so I see no reason why he couldn't work a few more years and sort this out.
Some of it will be more difficult and take longer but the SS and IRS are both relatively easy to tackle once you have a plan.

Good Luck - it isn't up to us to sit in judgement. Like you said OP there are definitely good people out there who just don't have the wherewithal to deal with and operate successful in our modern society.

The older you get the harder it is to fix your life, but it isn't impossible.

.... The child support was actually payable to the deceased wife, not the children. If she did not receive welfare, where the State has an interest in recovery, the indebitness is to the wife's estate. ...

Why would the state have an interest in the recovery? Wouldn't any back child support paid to the wife's estate just be paid to her heirs, who are presumably her children? I wouldn't think that the state would get anything out of it... I assume that the wife didn't receive any child support money from the state since the husband didn't pay it.

Why would the state have an interest in the recovery? Wouldn't any back child support paid to the wife's estate just be paid to her heirs, who are presumably her children? I wouldn't think that the state would get anything out of it... I assume that the wife didn't receive any child support money from the state since the husband didn't pay it.
As I mentioned above, at least in CT, if the custodial parent receives any public assistance while there is child support non payment, the state will go after the delinquent non-custodial parent for the amount of the public assistance paid out. The theory being "why should the state taxpayers have to pay for your court ordered child support?"

But if he was taking money under the table, he can't prove he was employed, so can't make an unemployment case either (I assume).

You shouldn't be able to have your cake and eat it too - dodge taxes and responsibility by getting paid under the table, and then want the benefits that come from taxpayers when you run into trouble.

He needs help, but also needs to take responsibility.

-ERD50
I agree

“ You shouldn't be able to have your cake and eat it too - dodge taxes and responsibility by getting paid under the table, and then want the benefits that come from taxpayers when you run into trouble.”. <— this times 100. He stole from his ex-wife and children and he cheated on his contributions to society. He made his bed. He needs to lay in it.

“...conclusions that probably aren’t true. He was helping his kids with college so doesn’t sound like a bad guy.” <— maybe he just flipped them a $20 from time to time?

I tend to agree with TappyGee about some tough love coming his way...bad decisions yield bad results, and not sure why there should be a safety net no matter what.

That said, there should be some government agencies available that can help the helpless.

As I mentioned above, at least in CT, if the custodial parent receives any public assistance while there is child support non payment, the state will go after the delinquent non-custodial parent for the amount of the public assistance paid out. The theory being "why should the state taxpayers have to pay for your court ordered child support?"

If the subject's ex received public assistance then that would make perfect sense... BUT none of the information that we have on the ex indicates that the ex received any public assistance.

Last edited:
If the subject's ex received public assistance then that would make perfect sense... BUT none of the information that we have on the ex indicates that the ex received any public assistance.

There is a lot about this situation that we don't know, which makes it difficult to offer any advice other than that he should see what public assistance is available.

There is a lot about this situation that we don't know, which makes it difficult to offer any advice other than that he should see what public assistance is available.

Yes we are getting a 3rd person account here and who knows the real truth. Frankly I know a couple of people in similar situations and they aren't willing to face head on the reasons they ended up in dire straits. I do know that it's never their actions that got them there, much like the relative in this thread. That's their story and they stick to it.

I wouldn't do anything but refer to PA...

My DIL's father and the former husband of my niece did exactly what the subject has done except that neither assisted their children with college. My niece has passed away. None of the children want anything to do with their father.

This behavior is much more common than you think.

It is so tempting to want the guy to be the victom of his behavior. That said, I think he should meet with a family law lawyer licence to practice in the state where the divorce order was filed to assess his options.

Great Advice!!! From personal experience I speak the following: The SSA has an amazing database in that they have facts about your life, you didn't even know yourself. I once accompanied a client to his benefits interview and he found out he had a middle name unknown to him for 60 plus years. They knew about his marriages, divorces, his occupations, his addresses...it was sort of like a quiz. I advise BIL to make an appointment, go to the interview, present the facts honestly and see what happens. The SSA will take every bit of additional information and the BIL will land where he lands.

Back
Top Bottom