Bluetooth

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
The more I read about this, the less I understand.
How Bluetooth Works - HowStuffWorks

First, here's what I'd like to do. When I ride my bike, I'd like to have a single earphone that can be wholly attached to one ear, without wires... and connect to an MP3 player or FM radio that I keep in a pocket. One ear, for safety reasons. It seems to me that this would be perfect for a worker who doesn't have to keep full attention on what he/she is doing... ie. routine mechanical tasks.

As far as I can tell this doesn't exist. Even my cell phone which does have bluetooth for phone calls, (it also has an FM radio) does not transmit the radio signal via bluetooth.

So I bought what is called a Bluetooth transmitter, which plugs into my mp3 player, and is supposed to connect to my bluetooth earphone. It doesn't work. Doesn't connect.

Next, I bought an FM dongle transmitter to send a signal to a set of headphones. This works, but not fun to wear while bike riding. (I'll look like Mickey Mouse) No FM single (comfortable) earphone that I can find. Usually the $1 scan earphone that fits like a wire clamp, and sounds like "shhhh".

A thousand more questions that don't seem to be answered by the article cited above... and most other articles are too technical for me. Some of the simpler questions:
What do I have in my house that uses bluetooth.? One tablet (that doesn't connect to my earphone. The rest of the computers don't have Blustooth (too old)... and no way to add it, that I can see.
Do my cordless phones work on bluetooth?
How does my room monitor (baby monitor) transmit?
Is Chromecast or the Roku remote bluetooth?

Looks to me that bluetooth is for what we now cell phones. No differentiation between my 5 year old tracfone, and a Samsung Galaxy note 4. Ach... most confusing.

Technology is passing me by... quickly. Still need an inexpensive way to listen to music or radio by a cordless earpiece... for one ear. It seems DUMB to me that this is not the most popular item for sports persons... runners, joggers cyclists, bikers etc., and workers... to relieve boredom. But then, what do I know. The term stereo didn't become popular until the 1950's as I recall.

I suppose this is a rant... but I'd appreciate a solution to the single bluetooth earphone question.:flowers:

Last edited:
Bluetooth is a wireless communication protical.

Any single earpiece that supports Bluetooth A2DP should work with a bluetooth music source.

Back
Top Bottom