Listening to Music actively and in the background

SunnyOne

Recycles dryer sheets
Maybe this is an odd question, but here goes.

Since retiring, I've started a guided meditation practice using apps for this...which has led also to sound baths and listening to extended sets of slow jazz and affirmation programming...sometimes through YouTube or other apps.

I find it very very peaceful and relaxing and good for my health....it's at least a few to several hours of playing in the background after I fall asleep

but all of that seems to be chewing up my data allotment on my iPhone.

I am trying to think of another way without tying up my phone all night - a time during which I should be charging it and letting it snooze lol.

I do get "free" internet service included in my apartment rent, so I was thinking of listening using my laptop...but that has it's own issues, I'd have to darken the screen and other issues?

Maybe I should just get a tablet dedicated to this and pair it with a bluetooth speaker?

I am not a tech savvy person, so wondering what options exist in a post-FM radio world? Maybe I should just upgrade my data plan, currently 5GB. ? but then my phone again lol.

Sounds like your phone is getting your music thru your cell data plan. Maybe you've never connected your cell phone to your "free" Internet?

If your "free" Internet includes WiFi, you should use that instead. This can happen while your phone is charging.

Oh, and on the laptop, you can close it up if you go into the settings, and change the behavior of what happens when you close the lid. Set it to not sleep/hibernate/shut down when you close the lid.

You have to actively connect your phone to the WiFi network there. The connection may or may not auto connect after you have been away and returned.

There’s no need to use cell phone data if the OP has access to the internet.

We listen to music all day as well and use an old cell phone. When on the road or away from home for the night and without internet access we use a white noise app.

It shows connected to the Wi-Fi....I must be using up the data somewhere else, but that doesn't make sense.

It shows connected to the Wi-Fi....I must be using up the data somewhere else, but that doesn't make sense.
On my Android phone, under settings, I can look at mobile data usage and it shows me how much each app used per month. IPhones must have something similar.

On my Android phone, under settings, I can look at mobile data usage and it shows me how much each app used per month. IPhones must have something similar.

Yes. Settings > Cellular

Scroll down and there’s a list of all the apps that used cell and how much.

Also, one can just turn cellular off. Try that to ensure you can/can’t get the music over wifi.

+1 to all the above WiFi comments - another alternative:

You can store music on your phone, and play it with a music player app. A music playing app is probably built in, but if not, I like VLC media player (video and audio), it's open-source, free, and available on all common systems.

-ERD50

Last edited:
+1 to all the above WiFi comments - another alternative:

You can store music on your phone, and play it with a music player app. A music playing app is probably built, but if not, I like VLC media player (video and audio), it's open-source, free, and available on all common systems.

-ERD50

+1

I have my music on my phone via its SD card. I use VLC across my devices (computers, tables, FireTV sticks).

The tablet idea is fine as well, if you choose to spend a few small bucks.

You can tell your music app not to use cellular data - via settings somewhere.

I think it’s in the same Settings->Cellular listed above.

Last edited:
If you own the music (ie. purchased online or ripped from CD) then you should confirm you downloaded your music and not streaming it. When you run the Music app on your iPhone, choose Library-Downloaded to show the music that’s on your phone. You have the option to download the music from the cloud if you haven’t done so. After you’ve downloaded your music, turn on Airplane mode and confirm you can still listen to your music.

Back
Top Bottom