Box wine

I've read that one of the advantages of boxed wine is that as the contents are consumed the plastic bag prevents oxygen from getting to the wine and altering the taste, at least until you have to let some air in to get the last of the wine out.

I have no idea whether that is true.

You hit the nail right on the head.

The infamous "sulfites" that are put into your bottle are antioxidants to prevent oxidation and browning. The amount put into a wine is based on the acidity or ph, there is a formula/chart if anybody wanted to google it, they are in parts per million.

The plastic bag collapses and prevents the O2 from doing its thing. When a winemaker makes wine, he wants the yeast to get O2, but after fermentation, everything is done to prevent O2 from coming in contact. A small amount is absorbed while aging in a barrel. After a bottle is opened, dry reds ARE to be aerated and exposed to oxygen to INCREASE the flavor.
If you don't finish a bottle:confused:, then all attempts to prevent O2 from entering should be employed.

You hit the nail right on the head.

The infamous "sulfites" that are put into your bottle are antioxidants to prevent oxidation and browning. The amount put into a wine is based on the acidity or ph, there is a formula/chart if anybody wanted to google it, they are in parts per million.

The plastic bag collapses and prevents the O2 from doing its thing. When a winemaker makes wine, he wants the yeast to get O2, but after fermentation, everything is done to prevent O2 from coming in contact. A small amount is absorbed while aging in a barrel. After a bottle is opened, dry reds ARE to be aerated and exposed to oxygen to INCREASE the flavor.
If you don't finish a bottle:confused:, then all attempts to prevent O2 from entering should be employed.
Even with the Black Box wine, letting a glass of the red (Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon) set for a while enhanced the flavor IMHO. No problem with keeping the oxygen out of the bladder.

Just a quick follow up..thanks all, for the suggestions.... DW and I are trying a box of Bota Cab and have enjoyed it very much. Great value for the product. Will continue to try various brands, but will keep this one on the shelf.

Celebration Time!

Just a quick follow up..thanks all, for the suggestions.... DW and I are trying a box of Bota Cab and have enjoyed it very much. Great value for the product. Will continue to try various brands, but will keep this one on the shelf.

Appears we have collectively solved yet another first word problem! :dance:

I shall raise a glass tonight in commemoration of this auspicious day. :LOL:

When we did a walking trip from San Francisco to Pt. Reyes, we packed a 3lt box of Bota Old Vine Zin in our suitcase. Since we walked with daypacks and our suitcase was shuttled to the next inn, we never worried about bottle breakage.

Certainly no expert here.....but we drink mainly Black Box when drinking boxed wine. It has been somewhat hit-or-miss (moreso with their whites). Last week I bought their Malbec for the 1st time and really liked it. Have had their Pinot Noir several times and found it OK.

+1 for Black Box. $15 or so at Sams

black box isn't bad but bota box is way better

I have had both but like Naked Grape pinot noir a little better.

It’s supposed to be decent for 30-60 days after it’s opened, we keep ours in the fridge after opening and it always lasts at least 30 days (not sure we’ve had a box from open to empty more than 30 days.

I find that the quality barely lasts 30 days even in the fridge. Just have to drink it faster!

OK, a couple of jokes. The box wine I like is fine Cardboardeaux. And the nice thing about box wine is that when you finish one off you can take the bladder out, blow it up, and use it for a pillow without too much effort.

Back
Top Bottom