Boxes

wabmester

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just bought a new TV today (to replace the one I blew up). It came in a giant box, which I put in the garage "just in case" I ever needed it again. I have a bunch of these boxes. In fact, I probably have the original boxes for almost everything I own. Sometimes, they do come in handy, but mostly they just sit there taking up space for years.

So, does anybody have a good algorithm for box keeping/tossing? I figure that my chances of selling an old GIANT TV on eBay are slim to none, so I'm leaning towards tossing out the GIANT TV boxes after establishing that the TV works for a few days. Or perhaps I toss it when the warranty runs out....

I used to keep all the original boxes and packing material that my stereo, TV, etc came in. I'm better now. I throw boxes away unless it's near Christmas and I anticipate needing to mail something to relatives. :) ;)

In my old mcmansion, I had a humongous dry crawl space. Crawl is an inapplicable word since you walked in through a door in the back of the house and the floor above was about 12' up in the back of the house and 5 in the front. All the boxes went in there. For seven years. Several truckloads to the dump when I moved.

New house, no room, boxes have about a 10 day lifespan before they're either sliced and fed into the fireplace or crammed into the recyle bin. My 65" tv box was claimed by the kids across the street as a "fort".

You know you're buying some serious stuff when people want to live in the box it came in.

My DW is the family pack rat. We have a small house with limited storage so I am the one who throws things out. Once I am sure there is nothing left in a packing box, it goes out with the next trash collection. My philosophy has always been, if I can't easily find something I kept then there was no point in keeping it. I err on the side of getting rid of stuff which is of questionable value.

Grumpy

wab said:
So, does anybody have a good algorithm for box keeping/tossing? I figure that my chances of selling an old GIANT TV on eBay are slim to none, so I'm leaning towards tossing out the GIANT TV boxes after establishing that the TV works for a few days. Or perhaps I toss it when the warranty runs out....

I always keep boxes of High- End Stereo gear which has a good chance of bringing decent money on E-bay. Especially 'Vintage' gear that I have bought from the 50's, 60's etc. etc.

Big TV boxes are thrown immediately! -

Theres a money making idea...genetically alter locusts to eat old unused cardboard boxes...

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
Theres a money making idea...genetically alter locusts to eat old unused cardboard boxes...
Yeach. . . . paper locust poop. :p

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
Put it in a hole in the ground and pee on it.
Yeach . . . dirty paper locust poop with pee on it. :p

Bums living under a bridge might appreciate a fridge box. :D

I generally keep boxes of electronic items until the warranty period runs its course, and then out they go if they are very large at all. Smaller boxes I keep with packing materials inside just in case I find the need to ship them off to an eBay buyer of things I sometimes manage to get rid of via that avenue. That's cheaper than buying new material all the time when my margin is so low anyway on eBay sales, and less wasteful, etc.

Back
Top Bottom