Brazilian hardwoods

ronin

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm replacing my redwood deck and looking at decking materials. One guy has recommended a composite called Crosstimber, but in checking around deck builders seem to hate it as much or more than trex.

I am interested in two particular woods: ipe and cumaru. I think that though expensive, these woods could be a good choice. Anyone have experience with either?

How many trees have to die to yield a brazillion hardwoods just so you can build a deck?

Some people are not thinking green...:bat:

Ipe is very durable. We actually put it in a bathroom where it gets wet all the time and has held up beautifully. Can't vouch for exterior use, but I have heard very good things. It is also very nice to look at and pretty expensive at least short-term.

I used a composite product called Evergrain. It looks as good today as it did when I installed it a few years ago- at 7000' elevation in NE AZ- with high altitude sun, rain, snow, etc.

It is my understanding that you can buy Ipe from sustained harvest, environmentally concious, eco-friendly, socially responsible, certified "Green" suppliers that will make even the most ardent tree-hugger happy. And since Ipe will last your lifetime, I think it is an environmentally responsible long-term choice, since it won't have to be replaced it as often, and contains no additives, preservatives or artifical colors...

It is my understanding that you can buy Ipe from sustained harvest, environmentally concious, eco-friendly, socially responsible, certified "Green" suppliers that will make even the most ardent tree-hugger happy. And since Ipe will last your lifetime, I think it is an environmentally responsible long-term choice, since it won't have to be replaced it as often, and contains no additives, preservatives or artifical colors...

Thanks for your input. This is exactly correct. The tree farms for these woods are renewable uses of forest land that avoid clear cutting and burning used in soybean and cattle production.

Who put the jerk in knee jerk anyway?

Oh, I get it now. Good one!

If I replace my deck, I'm considering something plastic. Not for environmental reasons, but for longevity/lack of care (so my deck won't rot -- get it? nudge, nudge, say no more). Haven't looked into it.

I'm going to pressure wash/treat/stain mine this week (maybe).

Oh, I get it now. Good one!

If I replace my deck, I'm considering something plastic. Not for environmental reasons, but for longevity/lack of care (so my deck won't rot -- get it? nudge, nudge, say no more). Haven't looked into it..

Have you found one that looks fairly natural or at least nonplastic? The ones I have seen seem to reflect light and look highly synthetic, but maybe there are better products around. They are practical, though.

but then I'm often amiss.

I thought that was you.

img_674097_0_17c687ab68b928ed8d0d5070da256c58.jpg

Have you found one that looks fairly natural or at least nonplastic? The ones I have seen seem to reflect light and look highly synthetic, but maybe there are better products around. They are practical, though.

Yes, you're right. I really haven't looked into it yet. I'm sure nothing would compare with the brand new redwood deck look, however, if you compare it with what the deck will look like in 5 years, the comparison might be better.

This is what my deck looks like right now:

View attachment 3841

and I had it professionally stained in 2001. But I got free Thompson's Deck Wash and Cabot Deck stain at the dump, so check back in a week.

Around here the pine needle get between the boards and cause rot.

Green Building Product Dealer

A friend of mine used Ipe for their deck two years ago and it really looks great, even in our climate. It is supposed to last a very very long time without maintenance.

I thought another issue with plastic is the inability to use it for the structural portions of the deck.

From what I've seen, if I were going to be in the place long term, say 7-10 years, I'd take a chance on ipe. It requires little maintenance, is less prone to everything bad, tends not to shed splinters and it looks great.

The hype I heard is that it lasts at least twice as long as pressurized traditional wood decking, but the cost is high so you'd want to do the arithmetic. I'd be willing to pay something for the look of it, too.

The cost of Ipe is about the same as the composite stuff according to the contractor (for what that is worth/he didn't know crosstimber was wood-based, tried to sell it as man made). I haven't checked the PVC/non-composite stuff other than some people rave about it.

Actually redwood is only about a grand less to use on my deck (~500 sq ft). And Ipe supposedly lasts a long time even untreated. We may move closer to the beach in a year or two after we retire so I kind of don't want to spend a lot more than necessary and probably don't care a whole lot about how it holds up 15 yrs down the line. Still shopping for builders and looking at materials. Maybe some of that old growth redwood from up TBone Al's way would look good. What's a few spotted owls anyway? (kidding)

Maybe some of that old growth redwood from up TBone Al's way would look good. What's a few spotted owls anyway? (kidding)

Spotted owl grilled over old-growth redwood...excellent choice for your first meal on your new brazilian hardwood deck.

Brazilian hardwood and a Brazilian wax might fit well together.;)

Spotted owl grilled over old-growth redwood...excellent choice for your first meal on your new brazilian hardwood deck.

Amen - Oregon timberland morphed into vacation plots over 30 yrs.

heh heh heh - not a big fan of Spotted Owls. :rolleyes: :angel: Our factory treated Thompson deck (Home Depot) 12 x 34' finished in 2000 went in Katrina. Looked good before it went.

My BIL is a contractor who does all sorts of building including decks. He loves the composite products. We used them in my new fences and they look absolutely great.

Shop around. I found a beautiful fence picket for $3.37 when some lousy looking ones were $8 a pop.

Only complaint I have is that it looks too perfect. I wanna throw some dirt on it and hit it with a hammer a few times here and there.

I built a deck on my wifes old house 5 years ago using a home depot composite board, not trex. Just some standard composite product they were selling that looked like redwood but had little ribs on the top side for traction, it was cheaper than redwood by a buck or so a plank. Nailed/screwed/cut like wood.

Deck still looks exactly the same today as when I made it.

The big problem with Ipe is the structure under the deck, it won't be Ipe and probably won't last nearly as long as the deck boards. :p

FWIW, I recommend the reddish/brown acq pressure treat lumber for structural components instead of the green pressure treat. It'll keep a nice color for a good 7-8 years and takes paint and stain very well after that.

For some reason the local home depot/lowes characters like to put this wood out in the landscaping/nursery area instead of the lumber area.

I've been able to find it in 6x6, 4x4, 2x4 sizes. I havent seen a source for 4x6's but I havent looked that hard.

Well, the guys demoed the old deck this AM and have knocked down a couple of eucalyptus that were in the middle. Grinding the stumps currently. No tree parts extending into my house or windows so I'm breathing a sigh of relief.

Decided to go redwood again. Looking at the joists and ledgers underneath after demo and it was totally trashed. All in all, don't think I need a nicer set of floor boards at this point in life. Got a good overall deal. Half of the original est. from the first contractor using comp or ipe. Pays to keep shopping.

Back
Top Bottom